MS-2 master volume & external cab mods

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by glina, Feb 26, 2013.

1. glina

glina Active Member

Hello everyone
    I am going to show you how I modded my MS-2 to make it actually a usefool tool instead of having a useless toy.
    Annoying thing was that if I wanted more gain I also had a huge increase in volume. I'd like that with a plexi but not with a bedroom amp which should not be playing too loud.
    I was aiming at having master volume and gain control separated.
    I also wanted to be able to hook up an external cab.
    I unscrewed the back panel (4 screws) and took out the pc board (1 screw on pcb and 1 on jack output)

[​IMG]

I added two additional wires. I soldered them in on the ends of the resistor.

[​IMG]

I mean the two ones I am holding. They are attached to either end of the resistor. This resistor is decreasing the output so the amp can be used with headphones.
    WARNING: AFTER THIS MOD IS COMPLETE YOU SHOULD NOT USE HEADPHONES WITH THIS AMP! EVER!

[​IMG]

The wires are attached to a potentiometer (I found a 1k pot which worked just fine in this situation so I used it).
    You can substitute the resistor with a wire only (for a fixed full output) or add another one to decrease original resistance. Either option will make the headphone output work as external cab output now.
    I'd suggest using potentiometer - you can fine tune your volume better.

[​IMG]

Mine is mounted to the other side of the amp. 6mm (1/4 inch) hole was drilled and the pot was mounted with no problems.
    Now you control amount of gain with 'volume' and overall volume with the potentiometer on the side. Perfect! :)

Once we are in control of the external cab output (DO NOT USE HEADPHONES for this output!) we can move on to regular master volume mod.

[​IMG]

Solder out the red wire that is marked SP+ on the pcb. It should be the one that goes from speaker's "+". Original soldering joint is circled in red.

[​IMG]

Move it to the place shown in picture above and make a solder connection.
    Again you should now be able to cotrol amount of gain with 'volume' and overall volume with the potentiometer on the side and have the sound going through the main speaker.

[​IMG]

Now put everything back together and enjoy the gain while playing quietly.

You can now use a regular external cab. I really suggest using any guitar cab rather than original speaker. You don't need to care about impedance.
    Just hook up the cab and KEEP ON ROCKIN'! :)

petezoom and runswithscisors64 like this.
  2. glina

glina Active Member

And here is a sample of how the amp works now.
    It really CAN sound as good as all other SS amps out there.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ25LtIWh5I]Marshall MS-2 (master volume, ext cab mod) - Alter Bridge riff - YouTube[/ame]

runswithscisors64 likes this.
  3. vintagevoltage351

vintagevoltage351 Well-Known Member

Might try it sometime and see how it sounds with my 4x12 cab.

4. glina

glina Active Member

My modded MS-2 with 2 different spekaers

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avwZ4OEF25g]Guitar Speakers comparison - Celestion: Seventy 80 vs G12-65 - YouTube[/ame]

5. petezoom

petezoom New Member

Just Did this Mod to my Ms-2 I am so happy with this little amp !

much usable now !

Thanx for the Tutorial Buddy ! :applause:

[​IMG]

runswithscisors64 likes this.
  6. NoNaMe

NoNaMe New Member

hello! I tried to do master volume mod and some from this: GUITAR-GEAR.RU
    and I understanded what is best for me. first of all, linked mod sounds bad and I deicided do not use it. also I tried to use phone out for phones or connecting to PC or amp. In all cases it sounds bad, thats why I take off phone out with near resistor. I add B500Ω (want to change it to A500Ω for uniform control) potentiometer at this place. sounds good and more useful without extra holes

7. glina

glina Active Member

Correct. This amp sounds bad on its own no matter what.
    Using phones sounds bad, connecting it to PC or input of an amp (2 preamps cascaded) sounds bad as well.
    The only situation when it sounds good is when you mod it to be able to hook it up to external 12" speaker. Once you do it - it makes perfect sense :)

8. hybrido

hybrido New Member

Hi friends!!! Can i use this mod with the ms 4 just putting the cables from the resistor to the master pot? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017