MOJOTONE WATCH TOWER Guitar Speakers. A short review.

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by MartyStrat54, Dec 6, 2015.

1. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

Hey all. Andrew Simmons of Mojotone sent me a pair of their new Watchtower 12-inch guitar speakers by Celestion to try out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are made in China by Celestion. They are 25 watt, 16 ohm and are a variant of the traditional Green Back.

I had to break these speakers in and after about 20 hours they started smoothing out on the top end and they sounded more to my liking.

I tried these in an open back 212 cab and a 212 sealed cab. I liked how they sounded in a sealed cab the best. They definitely have that Green Back tone with a fat midrange and crisp high end. I must say the build quality on this speaker is very good and at $99.99 these are a bargain. This is an exclusive speaker only available at Mojotone.

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Mojotone-Speakers/Mojotone-Watch-Tower-Speaker#.VmTh5L-aaUk

Once these speakers sell out they will be gone. There are a lot of very good speakers in the $100 range and the WATCHTOWER is one of them.

These will make great Christmas presents for someone wanting Greenback speakers, or as a replacement speaker in an existing cab.

2. Blueslicks

Blueslicks Well-Known Member

Groovy.

Look like the wheels on the Mystery Machine!

3. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Cool Marty, nice to get to try out new speakers for nothing!

But give us the cone numbers and T numbers if they have them. I am interested to see what GB components they used...is it just a new label on the back, etc...

4. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Thanks Marty!

5. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

How is the voicing or similar to what others ?

6. MartyStrat54

This speaker is a G12C which comes in the Hendrix Signature cabinet. Same cone, voice coil, magnet and frame according to the info I received from Mojotone. It looks like the only difference is the sticker on the back of the speaker. Mojotone is big enough to place custom orders with Celestion and in this case it is a Celestion 12C with a Watch Tower label. Nothing to be surprised about. Nothing surprises me anymore...ha ha.

This is a great replacement speaker for someone that has a blown UK GB in their cab and they don't want to shell out the $160+ for a UK speaker.

7. MartyStrat54

Well here's the deal. I can't tell a lot of difference between a G12C and a G12M although Celestion swears there is a difference. And what about the G12EVH speaker? I think Celestion put a new label on an existing speaker because they know that EVH stuff sells. Just ask Peavey.

When two different speakers share the same magnet, cone, spider and voice coil the only thing you can do to make them sound different is the application of the doping on the surround. Maybe that's what Celestion does? I know that Weber offers three doping options on most of the guitar speakers they sell. It does make a slight difference in tone.

8. MartyStrat54

It IS very nice to get free stuff. I'm sure you would agree. The speakers are in Tulsa right now as a friend wants to try the speakers out. As I said this is a custom speaker and I didn't check to see if there were any codes on it. I was pressed for time and all I did was look at the build quality of the speaker which is top notch.

9. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Thanks Big M!

10. A4100K

A4100K Well-Known Member

Man I wish I would have known about this three months ago.:squint: But thanks for the info. Looks like a very good deal.

11. Don

Don New Member

I just put one of these into a DSL 201 and it sounds great right out of the box! Much more like a Marshall than it did with the stock speaker. I really like it! With recent discounts it's an incredible deal!

I'll eventually sell the DSL 201 and put this in an 18 watter that I'll build.