Mixing 8 ohm speakers with 16 ohm

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by StingRay85, Jan 18, 2020.

1. StingRay85

StingRay85 Active Member

Anyone who has ever tried it? I had this idea because I recently got old Goodmans Audiom P speakers that are 8 ohm 50W, and most of my other speakers are 16. But as the Goodmans is a stiff speaker, it might be good to combine with 30W 16 ohm greenbacks so they see more power. Of course total impedance will not be 16 but lower, but I think output transformers can deal with that. Any thoughts?

Although the greenback sounds better on it's own, when mixing them the Goodmans would be too silent and cannot generate the Sabbath touch

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

The speakers power limiters for the power tubes . You can go higher but not lower on the speaker side . If you mis match the speakers ohms . It will work short term only. It’s the output transformer that is at risk

3. StingRay85

StingRay85 Active Member

So in this example just run the output transformer at 8 as total impedance is 10.5

4. Seanxk

Seanxk Active Member

That's fine, OT will be happy, it's just if you set the amp to 16 ohm it wouldn't be advisable.