Mixed Wattage Speakers In A 4x12

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Wenander, Oct 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Wenander

Wenander New Member

I´m about to buy a dirtcheap 4x12 cab. it has celestion g12 50 speakers. gonna swap em out.

im thinking about putting in two v30´s at 60w each and 2 greenbacks at 30w each.

now i have the greenbacks in a 2x12 cab and im worried ill burn em when pushing my jmp mkii 50watter.

so what i wanna know is how is the wattage distributed trough the 4x12 ? ? would it be safe or is my greenbacks at risk. they are from 1971 pre-rola g12H and sound amazing.

2. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

You have 3X+ on the 'rated' power - I don't know how the series / parallel wiring to the individual speakers. I personally wouldn't worry about it. I run 2x 25 watt GB's & BB's with a 50 watt head loud. If I want stupid louder and push the system with a boost/dirt/fuzz pedal I add another 2x12 cab.

This is why I don't obsess about vintage speakers no matter how wonderful they sound - I'm not worried about blowing a speaker [cause I can recone it and not 'kill' the value] just what that might do to the amp.

Russ

3. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Wire them in standard series/parallel, and they need to be all the same impedance. (ie all 8 ohms or all 16 ohms). Then they will all take equal power and the total cab power rating will be 4x the lowest, ie 120w I this case, which seems fine with a 50w amp.

GIBSON67 likes this.
  4. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Exactly what JohnH said...

5. Wenander

Wenander New Member

you do know that a 50w amp is pushing out more than 50w? 50w is when it is played clean and not very loud.

yeah that´s what i thought...4x the low wattage speakers equals cab wattage. the speakers are all 16 ohm´s so the cab will end upp at 4ohm.

thanks for confirming =)

6. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

I would not trust just two 1971 made 30W speakers with
    How old are your GB and BB?

7. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

I do - the amp I was referring to is a JMP 2204 combo that came stock from Marshall with 2 25 watt BB's in it. I've read an article from the Celestion rep that all but said their speakers are rated conservatively. There is a difference between loud at 50 'rated' watts clean and hairy ass dimed with a booster - that gets more speakers.

The BB's are 78's [the only vintage speakers I have] the GB's are RI's. This is why I like 'new' speakers - not worried about the value but how they sound. I listen for the 'pushed' vs. 'begging for it's life' sound coming from my speakers. I stay in the pushed camp.

Russ

SG~GUY, Blueslicks and mickeydg5 like this.