Might Have Messed Up My Epi Les Paul Wiring

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by ianbourg, Jun 15, 2016.

1. ianbourg

ianbourg New Member

I honestly don't know if this the right section to post this on, but basically I bought a kit to change out the epiphone electronics and get better tone, blah blah blah. This was my first time ever soldering and it seems like I did an 'at least ok' job. For starters, the first problem is the toggle switch is super picky about where it needs to be situated to allow both pickups to even work. The switch wire going to the neck volume pot seems to work a lot better than the bridge one, which is a massive pain. If I move the switch oh-so-slightly, either the bridge pickup or both of them will cut out. Other than that, there's weird stuff going on with the volume pots themselves. Turned all the way up it's fine, but when I roll it down the bridge pot it first starts working like it should and gets quieter. Then right before it's rolled all the way down it jumps way up in volume and cuts in and out, and gets a little scratchy sounding, but it actually turns off. The neck volume pot doesn't even turn off the volume all the way. That's all the functional problems. Any advice, help, or possible solutions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

Replace your 3 way toggle switch for a better one. I used pots from RS Guitarworks to rewire my two Gibson LPPP guitars. The thing I liked about RS GW is that they sent me a couple of black plastic templates to mount, position and secure the pots to (for free). I also ordered solid ground wire for the back of the pots, two new input jacks, enough braided/shielded wire for both guitars, and excellent diagrams for 50's wiring. RS Guitarworks also has self help videos (YouTube) on how to do it all yourself, and quite expertly I might add. I was able to use my Gibson 3 way toggle switches w/o any issues.

** Most likely it is the way you wired your toggle switch which takes time and patience to do properly but is well worth the effort in the long run.**

Here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPvpLuSaOOQ

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  3. ricksteruk

ricksteruk Well-Known Member

Yeah it might be best to get a new toggle switch - once you've checked the wiring is secure.

I tried to rewire the switch on my Tele a few years back, but I'd picked up some lead-free solder by accident and I just had to put so much heat on to melt the darn stuff that the switch never worked properly after.. it was fried.. with similar symptoms to what you describe.

4. ianbourg

ianbourg New Member

I know that some solder accidentally trickled down too far on the volume pot prongs. Would that cause what I'm experiencing?

5. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

Nope. Get a new 3 way toggle switch, start all over, and take your time to do it correctly. I see some blobs of solder on the pots that really need to be reflowed (use flux).