Might Buy A Jvm.... Opinions

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Adrian R, May 13, 2019.

1. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

Got a line on a mint 210H....know nothing of them....Tone wise how will it compare to my modded DSL and 2555X?

2. Sacalait

Sacalait Member

It's a beast! I have a 205H. It'll blow down walls. I don't have any other Marshalls to compare to (although I have an SV20 ordered from Sweetwater). However, I've had it for six years. It covers a lot of Marshall territory. I stick mostly to the Clean/Crunch channel- the 205 and 210 are identical. The overdrive channels are metal territory. Anyway, you should dig it plenty but it's heavy and beastly loud! But hey, that's what they're supposed to be!

3. Holzar88

Holzar88 New Member

Do it.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

I did own a JVM 410H and all I can add/say is it sounds more modern, not like a Plexi or JMP. You cab get them to sound close to a JCM 800.

5. proxy

proxy Active Member

I had regular JVM and Satrijani JVM and I did not like them at all.
    They sound way too thin and some channels are not usable at all.
    But if you are into modern metal stuff that amp will get you there.
    Good luck

coolidge56 likes this.
  6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I think for the music you play you'll like it. How close is your nearest Guitar Center they always have them, go try one.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  7. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Active Member

Ive had my 410h head since they first came out and it is still my #1 gigging head. I have used it in multiple cover bands. I have had people ask me how I got such a great clean tone. I used it in an AC/DC tribute band and had more than a few audience members (obviously somewhat knowledable) ask about how a modern head like the JVM did those old ac/dc tones so well. I have used it in thrash bands a it sounds great there as well. Been playing marshall heads for almost 40 years and honestly don't know how they would ever make a better head than the jvm series. Note, I use a pedal board in 4cm with the head but the pedal board is strictly FX (and midi control) and no tone mod whatsoever.

sgmarshall, CraigP, NateSLC and 4 others like this.
  8. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

- And there you have it! Can't get a better recommendation than that!

Lots of myths and mis-information about the JVM in my opinion!

1) Some people say it sounds "thin" - yet others say it is too "muddy" on the crunch channel
    2) Some people say it has too much gain - (it can have, on the OD channels if you USE TOO MUCH) - but it can go from the cleanest clean on clean green, through Fender tones on Crunch green, to AC/DC classic rock on Crunch Orange, though to heavier tones on Crunch Red, OD1/2 Orange and beyond!
    3) People say it has too many knobs (how do these people drive a modern car?) - yet it only has 5 knobs per channel, like most other amps.....

All in all it is a phenomenally versatile amp, which can sound like a classic amp OR a modern one, and can go from heavy rock rhythm guitar to searing leads (that actually cut though the mix) - without a transistorised stomp-box in sight!

The one thing I would say is if you have a backgound of older classic amps (like I did after 23 years with my 2203) you may find a JVM doesn't quite have the agressive cut, or dynamic feel of the older amps - but these are minor issues that can be easily solved with under £50 worth of mods, if you feel the need! - I did, and I have an old-school raging beast of an amp with modern features and versatility!

9. Adrian R

Great dissertation, I like the idea of not using OD pedals ..Can you describe the mods you did?

10. spacerocker

Thanks! I did lots of mods along the way - with the main aim of making the JVM (particularly in the Crunch Channel) the same as my 2203. At one point I got it almost identical - but I backed off some of the mods because I realised I actually liked the fact that the JVM has more gain on the crunch channel than the 2203!

I use Crunch (or OD1) for rhythm, and OD2 with the mids up high for leads

I think the best mods for a classic sound and feel (but retaining the high-gain versatility) are:

1) Negative feedback mod. Variable on a Pot, or just a high-ish value fixed resistor (maybe 500K) instead of the stock 87k (or whatever it is?)

2) Treble peaker mod (simple 470pF Cap soldered across an existing 470K resistor) - it's in the 2203 circuit and emphasises upper mids - or you can do what I now do, and put a graphic in the loop for the same effect - (can also add some of the "warmness" of the 2203 at lower frequencies with a graphic)

3) So called "anti-compression mod" on the OD channels. 220K resistor soldered in parallel with the plate resistors (also 220K) brings it down to 110K Ohm, which is virtually the same as 2203 100K. Reduces the gain (but still loads available) but makes those channels clearer and more dynamic

That's it really, those are the "essential" mods in my opinion, but as icing on the cake I have also added:

4) 10H choke fitted

5) Smaller power supply caps

6) "AFD" type mod on crunch channel (adds gain and upper mids)

7) Bass boost for OD channels

8) Tone stack mods to 2203 spec

9) Conversion to 50W (hardly any quieter, but easier to get power amp distortion - harmonically richer somehow!)

11. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

I also did the ned fdbk mod on my 410. I prefer the extra tones of the 410 over the 200 series but I like a more metal tone so channel 1 mode Red on 200 isn't enough for me. I don't want to have to use a pedal. I'm not sure @Adrian R if you need that kind of jam but your vid clips woild indicate you prefer more gain than channel 1 red would have.

It's a modern sounding amp, I'd strongly recommend trying a 400 series out.
    My favorite "beef" about them is the number of knobs as well. Seriously? It's 5 knibs per channel, I mean you don't run all channels at once. Do people not ever run a mixing board with hundreds of knobs?
    Or a phone?
    Or a tv?
    Or a car?
    It's laughable to me.

Mitchell Pearrow and Adrian R like this.
  12. spacerocker

Yes - Totally agree - I think it mainly comes from people who have never used the amp, or if they have, they don't really understand how it works!

5 knobs per channel is a minimum, really, otherwise we would be into the world of "tone control sharing" between channels. Glad Marshall didn't compromise in that way!

13. Adrian R

I've already studied the control panel...via the net.....quite simple actually....

14. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Everyone I’ve ever heard that raves about the JVM said the same thing. “My favorite Marshall ever!...after I modded this and this and this and this, now it’s awesome”. Lol

Dmann likes this.
  15. Jethro Rocker

Well one doesn't have to by any means. I thought I'd try it to make it a bit more open sounding and adjustable. I like it but could compensate via EQ if I really wanted to. Stock, they are still an awesome amp. Depends on your tone preferences but he versatility can't be beat. I wanted to have the tones of an 800 ish PLUS all the other things it does as I have no 800 in head form. Thus the one simple mod.
    I see it the same as someone using a boost pedal on an 800. It's like it needs that "mod" to be most useful for many.

16. Adrian R

I'm just going to have to try one out. The DSL to me at first was pretty bad...but then I learned about them, made a few crucial changes and now think it's one the best sounding Marshalls ever...VERY organic....and like how you need no pedal in front of the red channel. However, it has it's drawbacks for playing live. You still need to use an OD pedal in front of it to get the gain I crave out of the green channel.... I'd like to get out of using pedals completely with the exception of a pedal tuner.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  17. Jethro Rocker

The JVM 4 will do this.

Holzar88 likes this.
  18. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

I really liked the one I played. Not my sound, but I get it.

19. spacerocker

So what's your point? Stock it is more versatile than almost any other Marshall, and has great tones....Modded it is even better! I don't see a problem here?

20. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

I’ve had the JVM210H, 410C and still have the 410HJS. I like the 4 series better than the 2 series. All of them were fantastic amps. I have the 410HJS matched to a Marshall 1960Ax with G12Ms. I play predominately 70s and 80s classic rock, hard rock, hair metal and heavy metal. The JVM knocks it out of the park. I use predominately channel 2 but I have settings for all of them. The JVM410HJS more than hold its own against Friedman BE100. There are outright myths about this line told resulting from user error. The most common —- too thin or too noisy is purely user error. It’s not the amp.

It’s not hard at all to get vintage Marshall tones.