Midi problem with JMP-1

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by pongo, Dec 27, 2009.

1. pongo

pongo New Member

Hello my fellow marshall owners!

I have a JMP-1 that goes into a G major 2 followed by a Marshall 9005 and two 2x12" cabs. I bought a Behringer 1010 the other day and connected it to the Midi in on the JMP-1. Another midicable from JMP-1 Thru to the Midi In on the G major 2.

I've set the Midi Channel to Omni on both JMP-1 and GM2.
    I've mapped the patches.

When I switch patch on the FCB 1010 it changes on the GM2 but not on the JMP-1. Infact I can't get any reaction on the JMP-1 from the FCB. But it sends the data thru to the GM2 so it I know it's gets into the JMP-1 atleast.

Any tip on what's wrong or is my Midi-receiver on the JMP-1 broken?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Wilder Amplification

Wilder Amplification New Member

OK first off, on the 1010 controller, each preset has 5 individual patch changers. You can actually map all of your MIDI through the controller without having to use the MIDI mapping in each device. Each of the 5 patch changer functions sends out a "program change" message on a different MIDI channel, so that you can switch up to 5 devices via the controller with the selection of one preset.

Now on the patch changers in the 1010...I set each of the 5 on a different MIDI channel:

Patch Changer 1 to MIDI channel 1
    Patch Changer 2 to MIDI channel 2
    Patch Changer 3 to MIDI channel 3
    Patch Changer 4 to MIDI channel 4
    Patch Changer 5 to MIDI channel 5

Then I set the JMP-1 to MIDI channel 1 and the G-Major to MIDI channel 2.

Now you can select a preset on the controller, and go in to edit its settings.

Once you're in preset edit mode, button 1 represents patch changer 1. This one controls the JMP-1. Program it to the patch number on the JMP-1 that you will want it to switch the JMP-1 to when you select that preset. Also, set it to MIDI channel 1.

Button 2 represents patch changer 2. This one controls the G-Major. Program it to switch the G-Major to whichever preset you want the G-Major to switch to when you select that preset. Also, set it to MIDI channel 2.

Buttons 3 - 5 represent patch changers 3 -5 on MIDI channels 3-5 in "preset edit" mode. Since you only have two MIDI devices, these will be non-functional.

Let me know if you need more help.

3. pongo

pongo New Member

Hi,

Thanks for you reply Jon. I've followed your steps to configure for different midi channels so I now run them on separate channels. Unfortunaltely my problem still exists. I might have explained the problem a bit wrong earlier.

The main problem is that nothing happens with the JMP-1. If I want to switch from preset 01 to 02 with the controller nothing happens. I think I must be doing the configuration part correct since I can configure to switch presets on the GM2 with the controller.

My initial thought is that the JMP-1 might be broken.

Am I out in the cold, riding a bicycle?

4. Wilder Amplification

And just to clarify, the JMP-1 is the first thing in the MIDI chain? And you have it hooked up like -

1010 MIDI OUT --> JMP-1 MIDI IN --> JMP-1 MIDI THRU --> G-Major MIDI IN

5. pongo

pongo New Member

Exactly!

I bought the JMP-1 second hand for about 6 months ago but haven't been able to test the midi functionality until now. Didn't think of asking the seller if that worked or not.

6. Wilder Amplification

Try something for me if you can-

Switch the G-Major MIDI Channel back to Omni mode.

Instead of running from the MIDI THRU of the JMP-1 to the G-Major, connect from the MIDI OUT of the JMP-1 to the MIDI IN of the G-Major.

Then try to switch presets on the controller and see if the G-Major switches presets.

Also, try to switch presets from the encoder wheel on the front panel of the JMP-1 and see if that switches the G-Major through its presets.

7. pongo

pongo New Member

When I connected it the way you said the G-major didnt change presets when using the controller.

When I changed between the presets with the knob on the front of the JMP-1 G-major 2 followed with the changes.

It seems like it lacks the ability to receive the midi commands. It passes them on via the THRU port but that doesn't mean that it really get's the message itself if some connector or something has been broken within.

Thanks for tryin to help me out!

8. Wilder Amplification

Anytime.

Now before we go any farther into speculation, first we should try to reinitialize the unit. This will clear all memory and presets and restore the JMP-1 to factory settings.

To reinitialize -

Start with power to the JMP-1 off

Hold down the CLN1 and OD1 buttons while switching power on to the JMP-1

If that doesn't fix it, then the unit is in need of repair. More than likely the processor that interprets the MIDI is faulty. Inside the JMP-1, the MIDI IN port transfers incoming MIDI data onto a Rx (receive) line. This Rx line goes into a microcontroller that carries out all of the MIDI functions. The MIDI THRU port is connected to the receive line and is just "mirroring" the incoming data on the Rx line at the MIDI THRU port without the mirrored data having to route through the MIDI microcontroller. This is why the G-Major was receiving MIDI data from the 1010 controller when connected to the THRU port, which tells me that MIDI data is making it from the 1010 controller to the Rx line.

However, MIDI mapping data comes from the MIDI microcontroller to the MIDI OUT port and is triggered by the data from the MIDI IN port that routes to the input of the MIDI microcontroller. Since the microcontroller is not responding to incoming MIDI messages on the Rx line, it won't switch the G-Major from the controller when connected to the MIDI OUT port, but will on the front panel encoder.

So...that being said, the Rx port on the MIDI microcontroller may be faulty. But in order to know exactly what's wrong I would have to have the unit here in my hands since now we're into the realm of troubleshooting the digital circuit itself. I am very familiar with the JMP-1 models so if you'd like to send it in to me I can definitely take a look at it for you and see what it's going to need. More than likely the microcontroller in the unit though is at fault.

9. Wilder Amplification

10. pongo

pongo New Member

Aha, alright. Thanks for a good explenation!

I think it will be a bit too expensive to ship it to you from Sweden. But I'm an engineer with some electrical skills so I have experience with soldering and troubleshooting.

I bought the preamp for $200 so I don't know how much money it's worth spending to fix it? I like the sound it makes...

11. Wilder Amplification

Well if you can try the reinitialization procedure I posted above. A lot of times reinitializing digital gear can cure a lot of hangups.

12. pongo

pongo New Member

Oh, sorry! Forgot to tell you about that.

I've tried it without any success...:S

13. jagtheboy

jagtheboy New Member

hallo....!!i have the jmp-1 and 50/50 marshall 9100 with gmajor and fcb 1010..i dont know how to use the midi settings and many other things..can anyone help me with the programing-set up...inputs outputs....or everithing i can do to work my rig.....:p:rock:thanks!

14. Marc

Marc New Member

Did you read the manual? If you download and read the manual you know.