Michael Schenker V Choice

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by kustombob, Nov 26, 2017.

1. kustombob

kustombob Active Member

Hey all I been itching for a V ' I love MS tone in UFO . So what V should I try' Just for home cooking. Is their a certain PU he used on his V's. I been looking at Gibsons and EPI. Thanks

ibmorjamn likes this.
  2. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

He’s with Dean.

3. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

Michael Schenker used a Seymour Duncan Custom for most his career in his Gibson V's. Today he uses the "Lights Out" pickup in his Dean Guitars. Personally I have never liked the necks on Deans, Micheal truly loves them.

If your a big Schenker fan don't miss his US tour starting in March, it is going to be great. Here is his lineup

Michael Schenker Fest (featuring all three original MSG singers)
    Michael Schenker - Lead/Rythm Guitars
    Gary Barden - Vocals
    Graham Bonnet - Vocals
    Robin McAuley - Vocals
    Ted McKenna - Drums
    Steve Mann - Guitar / Keyboards
    Chris Glen - Bass

79 2203 and kustombob like this.
  4. geddy

geddy New Member

The key to MS sound is the half cocked wah (as I'm sure you know).

kustombob likes this.
  5. 79 2203

79 2203 Member

Was SD making pickups in the UFO days ?? I would have thought he used T Tops or whatever was stock in Gibsons during the mid to late 70's.

6. gjohnson

gjohnson Well-Known Member

Looky what I have for sale.2005 Epiphone Custom shop Schenker Mdl.$350
    021.jpg

7. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

The Medallion V was the quintessential Schenker V but those are of course not an option because they are so rare. I think it had T-tops but even the original T-tops are getting hard to find .
    I have been trying to play Schenker for a while and after a lot of time it is more player than anything but he does have a ear for tone as well. I play a import Dean V and it is not a Schenker copy at all. I also have a 92 Gibson Explorer and it is basically a sister to the V line . You should find a guitar that you like and play it before you buy it for more than 10 min. The 3 Deans that are out right now should be fine. The red one is the newest. I like the Kaleidoscope if you can find it. By the way there is quite a debate about what picks he used later but either way hard to find them. Quote from seymour Duncan forum "Schaller pickup in it for a couple years"
    Gibson Medallion # 56
    https://flyingvguitars.weebly.com/medallion-link.html

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 7:09 PM
  8. ibmorjamn

9. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-when i think Michael Schenker, I think of those half black half white V's that were so bad ass-

10. ibmorjamn

11. lordquilton

lordquilton Well-Known Member

12. ibmorjamn

I believe I was a part of that thread as well but much like a lot of EVH internet babble it is incorrect . The guitar that Schenker played in the first few albums he played with UFO was a Gibson Medallion "V" made in 1971 not 1975 .

The 1971 Gibson Flying V Medallion is one of the coolest and most sought-after guitars in the world. There are very few of them left on the planet that are totally original and completely unmolested. As you would expect, serious collectors want the unmolested ones, but there just aren't that many available. Gibson only made 353 Medallion Flying Vs in 1971. They were designed and built to commemorate the 1972 Olympic Games. Each guitar had a gold coin affixed to the upper wing that specified the Medallion number (1 - 353). Of the 353 guitars that were built I have accounted for 123 of them in the past 20 years. 120 of them are pictured on this website (see below). All 353 guitars were finished cherry
    https://flyingvguitars.weebly.com/medallion-link.html

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 8:57 PM
    kustombob likes this.
  13. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-that's some cool history on the medallion V's, and to think that he sanded it down & took a chisel to it,... -(maybe he wanted to get the medallion out?)- then later had the chiseled body filled & painted half black, half white, cuz he couldn't decide which color... So I wonder if the medallion is still there?

ibmorjamn likes this.
  14. ibmorjamn

There is a lot of history behind it even the paint but yeah , who as a young up and coming guitarist would have known at the time it was one of 353 . He got it from his brother as a loaner but loved the guitar.

Anyway , back to the op . If it were me I would get what he had or as close to it as you can afford. Michael could make cigar box sound good.
    Like I said , I have a 1992 Gibson Explorer and last night I recorded "Let it Roll" again for about the 100th time and straight in to my EVH LBX it is pretty good tone with the gain turned down around 1 and volume around 2 on my amp. I do occasionally put the SD-1 in front to boost it for the lead. You have to be careful not to throw to much gain in front of it. A plexi type amp will get you close. I don't get to caught up in the half cocked wah thing because I have the Dunlop wah and it doesn't make me feel any closer to playing his songs. A slightly hotter PAF type pickup will work fine like Dimarzio 36th anniversary.

kustombob likes this.
  15. kustombob

kustombob Active Member

Wow cool story. Thanks all for the advice and history lesson.

ibmorjamn likes this.
  16. ibmorjamn

Another history lesson , I believe he would have used Seymour Duncan but they hit the market in around 78 before that the Dimarzio Super was released in 1972.

17. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Cool listen...............

kustombob likes this.
  18. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

A bit off topic.......but related............