mg15cfx/mg15fx or dsl15c

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bl0l, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Bl0l

Bl0l New Member

I'm a beginner guitarist who dreams of playing everything from Santana to GNR, Pearl Jam,Velvet Revolver, Foo fighters to Iron Maiden
    and Metallica. I'm thinking of getting either an mg15fx/mg15cfx or the dsl15c.
    I'm also open to any other amp suggestions in the 15-30 watt range.
    and can someone please explain to me the difference between the mg15fx and the mg15cfx???
    Looking forward to your advice!!! :hbang:

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands Well-Known Member

DSL5 or MG15CFX. If you're a beginner, 15w of tube power will probably be too much.

Or if you don't mind going used, look for a used Marshall Lead 12 combo.

3. Bl0l

Bl0l New Member

yeah it'll be mostly bedroom practice for the next 4 or 5 months for me :/
    i'd prefer not to go used though.
    what's the difference between an mg15cfx and an mg15fx?

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

I think it's just the carbon fiber and the silver aesthetics, but I have heard the CFX sounds somewhat better, but it could be a myth.

5. 33KHD

33KHD Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate the value of used. You're going to go into a shop and pay full price plus tax. 6 months from now your amp will be on e-bay, craigslist or kijiji for 1/3 of what you had invested.

Do your homework and you might find some good deals as it's still a buyers market out there.

Best of luck.

Risamaru and HeHasTheJazzHands like this.
  6. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

They seem like very different things to be comparing. The DSL, 5 or 15 etc should be much better, for considerably more $

7. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

Go with the DSL15c, that way you won have an issue playing with loud friends..

Risamaru likes this.
  8. user name

user name New Member

Research the following topics before making a purchase:
    1. tube amps vs. solid state amps
    2. low watt amps vs. high watt amps

Used is a really good option, but I only recommend this if you have a friend that also plays guitar and is down to check out amps with you. You don't wanna go looking at used amps, if you don't know how they're supposed to behave.

9. Stringjunkie

Stringjunkie Well-Known Member

Nathan, if I have you my VS8240 you'd love it. Just your Marshall SS amp sucked.

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

Just get any SS Marshall made before 1998. :lol:

Nathan Brown and Risamaru like this.
  11. damienbeale

damienbeale Well-Known Member

Nathan, givwn that you have played next tp none of these, may I respectfully suggest that giving advice on such matters is best left to those that actually have. You are a prime example of why asking advice on the Internet is a bad idea. Please don't be another of those idiots that pass on information that they "read somewhere".

Also, it should be noted that a NOS in a valvestate is pretty much a waste of a good tube. While differences are noticeable, it is not a proper 1st gain stage like on a proper valve amplifier, and in reality does a very small job towards the tone of the amplifier. Personally I'd rather have most of the JCM800 era all solid state amps than any Valvestate.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    33KHD, Risamaru and AntonPlaysRock like this.
  12. Pumpkin88

Pumpkin88 New Member

I started off learning on the mg30cfx and got bored with it in less than 6 months. If I could do it again I would save my money and just go straight to a tube amp.
    Having said that the DSL 15C is good, but for $100 more you can get the 40C, and not have to upgrade for a very long time. This is currently my go to amp and its great. Its very loud being at 40 watts but it has a half power switch that brings it down to 20 watts.

13. SeanMichael

SeanMichael New Member

There is absolutely no harm in buying used. You get the benefit of a cheaper price, and as long as it is functional, you're good to go.

Risamaru and HeHasTheJazzHands like this.
  14. HeHasTheJazzHands

If you decide on going used, Guitar Center has several Valvestate combos, and they sound really good for the price. Could get the low-wattage ones for bedroom practice or get one of the 60w, 80w, or 100w combos if you want to jam with friends, and since they're SS, they'll retain their tone at bedroom volumes.

I mean the 8000 and the VS combos, not the AVT stuff. They're more expensive and don't sound as good.

But seriously, I wouldn't at all go for a 15w or higher tube combo. Not good for practicing in the bedroom. 1w - 5w is better.

33KHD likes this.
  15. 33KHD

33KHD Well-Known Member

^Class 5 MkII with a pedal in front might be a good entry level option.

16. Bl0l

Bl0l New Member

yeah i'm probably going with the dsl5c. can't turn up the volume too much at home and i really want that punchy high gain rock tone. i just hope the dsl5c has good enough sound quality for mic-ing up and then gigging. problem is that i have really limited options where i live :/

17. argumon

argumon New Member

I never found anything about that, but I am interested in this too. The MG15FX amps are very cheap now, about half the price as used MG15CFX's.
    Could anyone pls explain the differences? Is it worth to pay the extra money to get a CFX?

BTW: I prefer the golden color of the old FX

Thanks

18. tazz3

tazz3 Member

DSL5C is the way to go, it's a great amp there is a huge topic about it here
    IM geting one my self it's the only amp u will need

19. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Apart from carbon fibre and silver face vs leather and gold I don't think there is much difference. Some tweaks to the FX channels.

One disadvantage of getting new is the speaker will be new and sound rubbish for quite a few hours and they aren't great quality to begin with.

The FX and CFX actually has quite nice effects depending on what kind of music you play. I still have the 15cfx and hookup biasfx to it to get a variety of amp and FX pedals through it. Sounds pretty decent and I still like the spring reverb and delay built into the amp when using Bias FX.

Like others said. look for a used one that is in good working order. The speaker will have been worn in and will sound less harsh than a brand new one (assuming they used it). 15w is plenty at home. even 1/2 volume is loud.

Personally I'd get a good guitar that plays nice and has decent pickups and find a used amp at an affordable price to get you started. Early on the guitar is the most important because if you have to fight with it your probably going to give up before you ever have to worry seriously about what you sound like.

20. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Active Member

This is just opinion, so take it as such. For a beginner, playing at home, I would think either the MG, or the DSL15 should be fine, though you need to remember that for solo practice in the living room or bedroom, 15 Watts will be loud. You probably won't turn it all the way up very often.

Let me make one thing clear... a 100 Watt amp for that kind of use, is serious overkill. Even in a band setting, an honest 50 Watts is often loud enough (unless you are playing huge places professionally).

I have an MG amp. For home use, I like it - instant on, built in effects (though I have lots of pedals), small enough to "grab and go", and doesn't take up the whole room. But I also have to say the one time I tried a DSL 15, I really liked the sound. Again, that little 15 Watts can get pretty loud.