Mesa Dual Rectifier Rev f vs Bogner Uberschall (clips)

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Simon Dorn, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Hana Song

Hana Song New Member

Not sure if satire, but recording a cranked amp and playing it back is totally different from getting said cranked tone from a quiet source (trying to have the amp itself at a comfortable listening level)

2. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Two very good Mesa amps for that "dark" sound are the RA100 Royal Atlantic: https://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/transatlantic-series/royal-atlantic-ra-100/index.html
    This could be a 2-12" combo which I would love to have. And the TC100 https://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/triple-crown-series/triple-crown-tc-100/index.html which I consider one of the best new production amps available today. The ability to go from 3w to 100w makes it a very usable amp for stage or studio. (The only problem I have with this amp is it weighs a ton.) The clean ch is awesome to say the least, one of the best ever. All 3 channels overlap each other, plus it has a solo boost and the reverb can be set for each ch independently. I think the TC series is the best sounding "rock" amps Mesa has put out to date. I had a 50w combo but found out the 100w with Multi-Soak was coming so I sent it back and waited, it was well worth it. Lamb Of God uses both of these amps as well as countless others.

*This thread has no hidden (MESA) subliminal messages (BUY MESA) of any kind in it (MESA Boogie) nor does it promote or condone (BUY MESA) any ad's for the selling of "Mesa Boogie" products. (Take out you card) This is just a (order a Mesa amp) suggestion of a product (repeat every week) that may work for you. BUY MESA BOOGIE!! BUY MESA BOOGIE!! YOUR FRIENDS WANT YOU TO BUY MESA BOOGIES!! mesa, Mesa, MESA....MESA...MESA.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I’m a Marshall guy but... for some strange reason ... I feel like I need to buy a .... Mesa , weird.

4. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

I thought both amps sounded equally muddy and loose in the clips.

Get the Triple rectum fryer, you'll have lots of cash left over for other stuff!

Reinhold has enough fancy hats already

5. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Your clips are frightening sounding to me. Not evil as in "dude, that's evil!", but "dude, that's kind of evil". Please step away from Ouija board :ohno:

6. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Not satire at all.

Think of it this way.

Right now you could put on Van Halen's first album and play it at a very reasonable volume level that won't disturb the neighbors at all.

But there isn't a guitar amp in the world that you can plug into and get exactly that same guitar tone out of, at the same volume as your stereo is set to now.

I'd like to think that such a thing is possible. To be able to get that cranked Marshall (or other) amp tone at any volume you want it. A very authentic recreation of it.

I have a Fractal Axe-FX II and it kinda sorta comes close. But it's not there. I don't think ANYTHING quite makes that goal yet.

Now, of course there are some factors in tone that exist only BECAUSE of the secondary effects of playing at a high volume level. Feedback from speaker to guitar is one. And, I think this may have been overlooked a lot, the effect of speaker cabinet vibrations on the amp head sitting on top of the cabinet have to be part of the sound as well, as there is no such thing as a tube that isn't microphonic AT ALL. Every tube is SOMEWHAT microphonic, and in fact, so are a lot of components in an amp. Capacitors certainly can be microphonic, and so can resistors. And transformers.

I think that if you simply isolate your Superlead head from the cabinet it's sitting on, by setting it on the floor behind the cabinet instead, you'll hear a difference in the cranked up tone. The head not being shaken by the vibrating speaker cabinet must certainly have its effect on the tone.