Men need to cook over an open fire. BBQ thread.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Drinkingdeath01, Feb 29, 2020.

1. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

No there wasn't....but I would suspect that any possible leaching might come from cheap Chinese (or other) cast stuff, or a pan that doesn't have a proper heavy season to it

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. mcblink

Holy crap! You're right!

I'm going to take my meat off the grill just as soon as I finish my cigarette.

3. mcblink

Raped chicken liver? Should I even ask?

...I think that hole is called a cloaca or something

4. mcblink

Difference between a chickpea and a garbanzo bean?

....I wouldn't let a garbanzo bean on my face:fever:

5. kustombob

kustombob Well-Known Member

Lord worried about grill marks ' to much iron ' eggs ' jesus christ ' I thought Marshall guys were Men not pussies.

6. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

NOPE comes from cast iron. that was one of the ways they got their iron back in the day.
    acidic foods leach more iron into your foods. ever notice how better quality mens vitamins
    have lower iron counts in them? thats because we dont need a whole lot of iron. women require more.

to much iron is called iron overload.
    http://www.irondisorders.org/iron-overload

a friend of mine a few yrs back that i knew i was married (divorced in 94) reached out to me
    one day 10ish yrs back. he was setting with my ex and her brother. ran into them somehow.
    she was diagnosed with iron overload or something very similar but she described it as
    iron overload to keep all the medical terms simple enough. she was due to surgery in a few days
    on her head/brain 3rd surgery to reduce the iron in her system. this is real shit man.

i grew up with family using cast iron. its what we used. it was pasted down generation to generation.
    the older it was the more valuable it was too. yes $$ wise too. i aint trying to talk you guys out
    of shit. im just spreading the word on new studies by legit companies.

i watched a study one time about those magnetic bracelets right.
    the doc had a beaker of blood and had it on a very slow mixing ok.
    well he put a un-named brand of one of those bracelets on the beaker. well a bit of time passed
    and he returned to the beaker and the blood looked very different.
    he showed all the iron in the blood had been caught up in the magnet. it was crazy.
    looked like a blood clot on the inside where the magnet was. he pulled the bracelet off and slowly
    the iron got mixed back in with the blood and the color went back to normal.
    crazy shit man.

Mitchell Pearrow and mcblink like this.
  7. johnny q

johnny q Member

Weber Genesis owner here - me like to grill, but me really not know what the heck I am doing!

I bought a digital thermometer last year - highly rated/reviewed, seems accurate when testing the temp of something, I know the temp of. Then why can't I get my steaks to the correct temp?

I like my steaks rare. However, if I follow the internal temperature charts online, I either get medium well or well done steaks. The recomendation is typically 145 degrees. Not working out for me.

What I suspect is - these online sites are afraid of liability. That is, they are afraid to suggest a lower temperature that makes someone sick. I have found that if I pull my steaks at around 115 and let them sit for 5 minutes - they are perfect.

Also - anyone have any suggestions for a grill cleaner that works? I have the grill daddy platinum now and sometimes the water trickles out, sometimes it doesn't - drives me nuts.

8. ricksdisconnected

because people are keeping their health in check means they are pussies?
    i think folks that dont try to keep their health in check are a bunch of lazy fucks personally.
    real men keep their health in check.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Lance Chambers and Derek S like this.
  9. mcblink

I never used one of those bracelets or anything like that before..actually I don't know about vitamins either, I don't take em. I would if I had a deficiency of one or more of them, I guess.

Considering the type of food that's often cooked in a cast iron pan though, usually lots of butter/oil/grease/fats, I might be more worried about the food itself than the potentially added iron. Possibly if one uses cast exclusively and multiple times a day, I could see some increase of iron in that person's body. But, if they're using that cast to cook food like that multiple times a day every day, iron intake is likely going to be the least of their worries, amongst the high BP, and clogged arteries and other stuff that eating food like that all the time creates.

Typically I don't like to use my cast for real acidic foods, because it has a tendency to strip the season off the pan lol
    I also use it frequently, but not daily or anything usually, and I'm not licking my pans or anything either lol

I believe there are other factors to iron overload as well. I mean, it's not as if using a cast iron pan is the only way we can get our iron...it's everywhere.

How about this: I'm going to make you some bacon, right? Would you rather I do it in my cast iron pan, or zap it in the microwave? :D
    (Bacon on the smoker is the shit, btw....so now we're not too far off topic lol)

10. ricksdisconnected

thats why the overload is so easy to happen to us.

mcblink likes this.
  11. ricksdisconnected

oh your a lick skillet alright. :p
    somewhere on this computer i have a pic of your bacon wraped stuff peppers on the grill.
    remember that pic from about 3 yrs ago?

12. mcblink

Oh yes! I have posted several pics here over the years. I don't think I even have that pic anymore lol maybe on one of my old phones somewhere

Those were some tasty peppers!

13. ricksdisconnected

oh gawd they look so damn good blink. i was very jealous lol.
    was wondering what service fee plus next day air might cost lol.
    i will see if i can find it today.

14. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

I´m from brazil (rio de janeiro) and married to a Gaucha (Brazilian southern people) and for both of us bbq is a very important thing, culturally.

I´m living in an apartment in mexico, so I can´t have a big rig here, so I´m using a small weber q1200 which is more than enough for two people. I´ve cooked for 6 people using that small fucker. I really like it.

15. ricksdisconnected

pics or ya aint cookin nuthin.

16. mcblink

Here's some chicken thighs I did some time ago. Just a pic I found on my phone. It is a BBQ thread after all lol

20190518_175106_resize_95.jpg

17. mcblink

I used to have a Weber lil smokey, and it was really great for tailgate bbqs or camping and stuff. Good eats can come from small rigs too!

18. mcblink

Here's some more pics I found

20190601_165056_resize_47.jpg 20190601_165102_resize_90.jpg

19. ricksdisconnected

a crock pot is a MUST too.

Lance Chambers and mcblink like this.
  20. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

We do a lot of picanhas here... generally for us bbq is picanha, sausages, onions, asparagus and farofa (that´s very important. fried cassava flour with some bananas, onions happiness). generally for two because we are alone here lol.

IMG_5239.jpeg

IMG_5235.jpeg

IMG_8469.jpg