Mechanical Tuners needs replacing, which to purchase?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Dwayne Eash, May 17, 2020.

1. Dwayne Eash

Dwayne Eash Active Member

Help! It's for my Gibson SG, black. It has Grover's on them now, but a couple of them a starting to fail, and I have to use them carefully. However, one of them finally failed last night.

me guitarist.jpg

So it's done, I am tired of walking on needles around my tuners, so I need a new set of tuners. Maybe something of good quality like they use on PRS guitars.

2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

PRS uses tuners made by Gotoh. I tried out a 200 dollar set of their Phase III tuners and it's not a mistake I'll repeat. They're merely adequate.

I have an unreasonably intense hatred of Grover tuners. I'll literally take them off a Gibson and throw them in the trash rather than sell them for 40 bucks.

I am a dyed-in-the-wool Schaller man.

If you don't mind tuners that have screw holes that don't line up to the original holes, then select from Schaller's product line.

https://schaller.info/en/machine-heads/

I have never, ever, ever had a Schaller tuner fail to work perfectly, or had one break, in my 35+ years as a hands-on guitar tech and luthier.

They're literally the only brand of tuners I'll put on my own guitars.

Dwayne Eash and DirtySteve like this.
  3. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Schaller or Gotoh are nice.

Chinese nobrand knockoffs of Schaller lockers are surprisingly adequate.

Maybe consider something that replaces directly with no new holes?

Dwayne Eash likes this.
  4. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Gotoh :yesway:

Micky likes this.
  5. Thevenin

Thevenin Well-Known Member

I've used Kluson locking tuners for over two years now on one of my SG Standards. I like them better than stock. Direct fit to stock holes; pegs stick out 2-3mm more, but not noticeable. $84-88 at StewMac.
    upload_2020-5-17_10-3-16.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-17_10-3-47.jpeg
    If you don't like lockers, go with the other's suggestions. Good choices as well.

6. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Ping:thumb:
    I kid, I'd go with Gotoh's

7. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Looks like Rotomatics on his SG, prolly a different footprint. Trying to find alternatives that fit the same holes is a drag, I've gotten lucky only a few times.

Dwayne Eash likes this.
  8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I'm gonna suggest Kluson or Gotoh locking tuners, the tuners look exactly like stock tuners but they lock. :yesway:

9. Dwayne Eash

I have Grovers, and before that, IDK. But the holes are immediately above and below each tuner. So there are two central holes for each tuner spot.

And for all curious. I will not drill new holes, just to fasten, no. Please keep the holes centralized! :h5:

10. Dwayne Eash

I tried so hard to get the seller to give up the original tuners. hehe But they were hard to find was probably the excuse. You might be right about Rotomatics, I don't know how to tell otherwise.

But after seeing a package of them, they look the same to a casual viewing. It's using the same original holes. I'll find a correctly holed replacement. :locked:

11. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

You should buy another set of Grovers, or contact Grover for replacement parts.
    The tuners used on upscale guitars made in China (PRS) are usually Gotoh, which are a pretty good substitute. But not made in USA of course.

(Everybody buy USA !) :dude:

12. Dwayne Eash

The way these things have sorta half ways worked for so many years, and how they slowly fail, has left a sour spot in me. I am on the search for locking alternatives. So far, might be locking Klusons, IDK.

13. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

The Klusons are made to fit in the Gibson deluxe screw holes.

14. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Uhm.... you might be in for a surprise

Gibson Deluxe "Kluson" is presumably a cheapie batch-ordered from either Schaller or Gotoh, since the original Kluson has long gone out of business

Fender is Schaller Germany (rarely), Gotoh Japan (mostly older stuff), or Ping (Korea and China) depending on the model.... mostly Ping, even on expensive stuff

Branded tuners with the instrument brand on the back are almost entirely Jin Ho or Ping

Grover is CHINA or TAIWAN.

Not sure ANYTHING mass market is actually USA.... hipshot and waverly? Oh Sperzel was, at least at some point. Who knows

Dwayne Eash and Lance Chambers like this.
  15. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

How exactly does a tuner fail?:hmm:

I have never experienced that problem. :drunk:

16. Dwayne Eash

It is really tough trying to find a supplier who has what your looking for! And if they have it, good luck having the shipping options your looking for. So far it's between Reverb and StewMac.

Even though it costs too much, I hope to put in an order for locking Kluson tuners tomorrow. I could go with Hipshot and it would get here quick, but I resist buying through guitar center if possible.

17. Dwayne Eash

It's like life. Nothing lasts forever. When your poor and struggle just to make ends meet, you get used to problems like that. Tuners fail, like everything else fails. Through the steady process of time, things wear out, and eventually fade away.

Even you, are made of star dust, that faded away eons ago. Like putting a set of tires on the car, because life means change, and things wear out, they don't get newer. If you have not found this out yet, I'd like to know where you come from where everything just stays working instead of wearing out.

I suspect the gears just gradually wore down until they finally lost bite. I probably extended the life of the one that died by a year by being most careful with how I tightened up that string. I'd have to tighten it above the nut, and then when releasing that tension, I'd take it up in the tuner as the pressure was half as great after I tugged on the string above the nut.

We the people deserve so much better than we get. But I'm glad you seem to have less of a struggle. We are all badly oppressed.

18. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

Depends on what size your existing holes are and what you're willing to do to your headstock, since everyone's shaft/bushing size is proprietary. Me and my dad drilled the shit out the headstock on a 60's Gibson L-50 when I was 13 for Grover milk bottles and they're still on there and they're still perfect, and I'm old as shit.
    I really like the Keystone tuner looks-wise the best. I have a set of Sperzels and they're killer, but they dont have the buttons that look right on a Tele so my next set was Gotoh lockers that look like the old Klusons. Decent but nowhere near as bombproof and precise as the Sperzels.

Dwayne Eash likes this.
  19. Dwayne Eash

As a brief aside. One might reasonably ask, how are we all badly oppressed. Loosing at politics for a century in a row, is the short answer.

1913 Federal Reserve Act, arguably the nation's lowest point as they started renting to us our own national money supply for perpetual debt enslavement. 1937 Marijuana Tax Act, locking us into our petrochemical domination, AKA our fossil fuel economy, AKA our pollution nightmare, and we've been screwed every since.

And don't get me started about post '83-'84 when rock stations, suddenly became classic rock stations. Time moves on, but human rights, like great music, is timeless! ;)

20. Dwayne Eash

I've got the modern large 10mm holes, no problem. I wish I had a vintage spec guitar, but no. hehe

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    ricksdisconnected likes this.