Mc412a?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Vince, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Vince

Vince New Member

Hey guys...

Anyone try a MC412A cab yet? I just ordered one and am having a hard time finding any info on these. What is the Celestion Platform 50 speaker? Celestion doesn't even have anything on their site about them. What are the cabs made from? Birch plywood ot particle board?

Sucks being one of the first to buy something when the manufacturer won't give you specifics!

Any info would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Vince

Vince New Member

Must be a very popular cab huh? :hmm:

3. poeman33

poeman33 Well-Known Member

I couldn't find anything specific on it either, but here is a link for the Harmony Central review on the MC212. The construction is most likely the same. MDF and smaller magnet speakers.
    Marshall MC212: Harmony Central User Reviews

4. Bucknasty

Bucknasty New Member

I think it's supposed to be a beefed up version of the mg412 that is actually made in england. as far as the speakers go, I don't have a clue. sorry

5. luekemeyer

luekemeyer New Member

The speakers are Rocket 50s. See the picture of my cab in the gallery. Tiny magnets..
    [​IMG]

6. jtm-series player

jtm-series player New Member

the Mc412a is a fullsize cabinet (1960-size)so it's bigger than the mg412

7. rockinr0ll

rockinr0ll New Member

Seems great, the mg cabs arn't even that bad I like using it with some of my amps when I need a less ice pick.

8. woodddj

woodddj Well-Known Member

i have the mc212, its not that bad of a cab. people say they are a little better than the mg and avt cabs . they are made of particle board but the baffle is plywood. the speakers do sound better than the mg speakers, but i just put some vintage 30's in mine , and did this thing come alive. im going to build a second 2x12 cab to set under mine. the mix between the platforms and vintage 30's should sound pretty good, not to mention push a little more air. alot of people give this cab alot of neg feedback. but if you are like me, ( on a budget ) you cant go wrong with this cab.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  9. Landshark

Landshark Well-Known Member

I actually started off not liking this cab until it's recent pairing with the DSL. It has the same sound as the 1960 cabs IMO but not quite the sound of the vintage 30s. Overall I think it's a sweet cab. It sounds good, it's full sized, and if you ever come to the point when you want to upgrade speakers you already have a full sized cab.

Edit: I actually think this cab doesn't screech and squeal as much as a 1960a or b... an attribute that IMO gives it a better sound with more clarity.

10. Marshallcarr2009

Marshallcarr2009 New Member

I own both 1960A&B and MC412A&B cabinets. The MCseries are an awesome product and sound very similar to the 1960s. They do seem a bit muddy, (not as tight of bottom end) in comparison and break up sooner than the 1960s which is desirable if you are a fan of the greenbacks. I would be careful at cranking the volume of a Marshall valve amp as we know the awesome power and punch they are able to produce well below 50% on the "V" dial. The Platform 50s have puney magnets compared to any other celestion. Small magnets are not a good defense to tight punch, (characteristic of a good valve amp).
    I must say that using one of each 1960A & MC412A connected to either my JCM 800/100w or DSL 100, produces results that are totaly pleasing.
    However I am still aware and concerned for the health of the Platform 50 speakers in the MC cab with this setup.
    All in all.. other than what I have detailed and some minimization on the factory construction, the MC is a great cab for the money. I will not be trading or selling mine anytime soon for three simple reasons. 1) They perform as expected. 2) They are affordable. 3) Double the foot print of Marshall cabinets on stage looks AWESOME!:fingersx: