matthais jabs (scorpions) tone...

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by stefanos12, Dec 29, 2010.

1. stefanos12

stefanos12 New Member

Hey guys, im tring to get matthais jabs (from the scorpions) tone (specifically for "rock you like a hurricane"). i've been tring to get his tone but i cant get it. amp settings would be appreciated. (for example: presence: 8 mids:4 etc.)
    thank you guys!

2. JCarno

JCarno Well-Known Member

Hello, sorry, I don't have an answer for you right now. But I got to tell ya I just watched a bunch of your vids and I must say you are very good. You certainly put me to shame. :applause:
    May I suggest that you let us know what equipment you are using. From the vids it looks like you have a DSL?
    It's too late for me to plug in right now but I will see what I can do tomorrow.
    I seen the Scorps back in the 80s and if I remember correctly, he was using a V or an Explorer? I have a 90s Korean Epi SG that I swear is just a re badged Gibson. Maybe I can get close with that. :jam:

3. AQuickOne

AQuickOne New Member

all i know is he´s using really old marshall and fender heads with boss ds-1 and his white explorer of course. his guitar tech ingo made a video of his setup recently, should be on youtube soon. you also have to consider that rudi schenker was also using more than 1 amp, so we are talking of a multi-amp setting here, maybe you can get more details from old live-videos

4. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

jcm 800's with plenty of master volume !!
    settings .....who knows ?

5. Wycked Lester

Wycked Lester Well-Known Member

sounds like a dimed 2203 to me

6. TheLoudness!!

TheLoudness!! Active Member

I bet your Epi is way better than the new ones that they make in China now :wave:

7. JCarno

JCarno Well-Known Member

Yea, I bet it is too. I've played a few Gibson SGs and I gotta say, this one is right up there in quality, tone and playability.
    As far as getting the Mathias tone, I wasn't able to nail it so I won't embarrass myself with some obscure settings. With your chops I don't think you'll have a problem getting very close with a little tinkering around with your settings. :fingersx: Good luck a be sure to post a vid when you record one.

8. manicguitarist

manicguitarist New Member

JCM800 - everything on 10. Master volume on about 7. Stand well back.

:)

9. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member VIP Member

+1, I second that Motion Mr. Chairman.

David

10. stefanos12

stefanos12 New Member

Hello, thank you for your kind comment for my videos. I am using a DSL 100, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus top, and an Epiphone Les Paul Studio. As for the pedals, I am using a Morley Bad horsie 2 wah, an MXR micro chorus, and a Boss RC-2 Loop Station.
    Keep on rockin' :hippie:

11. gjohnson

gjohnson Well-Known Member

I dont think hes used Marshalls in a long time. His tone on the last few albums doesnt sound like a Marshall to me.Sounds like a Soldano. In the 80's he used a 2210.

12. stefanos12

stefanos12 New Member

You're right, he used to use old marshall plexis back then...

13. pittbull

pittbull Well-Known Member

Matthias in the early days used 50 watt marshalls,he favored 50 watts over 100 watts,he did use 100 watt marshalls also but like I said he favored 50 watt,he also used Soldano SLO heads and fender prosonic heads.He also used 6ca7 power tubes in his marshalls back then over EL34 tubes.

14. stefanos12

stefanos12 New Member

thanks for all of your comments guys!:cheers:
    does any one have amp settings? for example: presence-8 mids-2 etc.
    like for presence, middle, bass, treble, and gain.
    thanks guys keep on rockin!
    :band::band::band:

15. scat7s

scat7s New Member VIP Member

thin midrangy bite (rhythm tone). shouldnt be that hard to approximate

bass low to moderate, mids high, treble low to moderate? not much presence (on lead tones anyway)

lots of midrange, probably cranked, or close to it, with those hot gibson p/u's, maybe in the center position (bridge and neck for leads). big long decay reverb, maybe just a hint of delay to add some depth and sustain. just enough that you CANT really tell its present in a mix (again for leady tones)

keep in mind too, they were always double tracking their leads, standard procedure for them. adds a lot of depth and fullness

but that 'singy' nature of his lead tone, i think alot is in the fingers, his technique

16. stefanos12

stefanos12 New Member

yes i agree with all of that, but can you give me an approximate setting for matthais jabs tone? thank you! :hippie:

17. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    Hats off...at least it aint a damned bucket head thread

18. custom53

custom53 Well-Known Member

Matthias Jabs Gear

Guitars & Pickups
    1963-64 black Fender Stratocaster
    Bill Lawrence L90 pickups
    Floyd Rose floating bridge

Gibson Explorer
    Gibson Explorer 90

Fender Stratocaster - Jabocaster

Dommenget guitars

Seymour Duncan JB pickups

Acoustic guitars - Ovation 6 as well as 12 string guitars

D'addario guitar strings
    Dunlop picks

Amps
    During the 80's Jabs used Masrshall JCM 800 2210 amplifiers

50 watt Marshall and two loudspeakers

In addition: Marshall amplifiers, Wizard cabinets, Hiwatt, Engl, Fender Prosonic, and Soldano amps and cabinets

Kitty Hawk preamps

Effects
    WahWah
    Jabs is not a big fan of guitar effects.

Jabs doesn't preamp his signal with distortion or overdrive boxes. His sound relies on the natural power tube distortion of his amplifiers. The result is very natural and ear pleasing, yet heavy and aggressive chord sound. His rhythm tone has plenty of bark and fullness but there is also a smoothness to it that many players lack. He also doesn't emphasize one tonal characteristic over another in terms of his EQ settings — i.e. no scooped mids. This gives Jabs a nice beefy, clean, clear, even characteristic to his sound without leaving it harsh, brittle or hollow sounding. Jabs can easily adjust the amount of distortion in his sound simply by adjusting his guitars volume control. Turned down low, he's got a nice clean tone, full up and you get that great classic ballsy Marshall tone by the truckload.

http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/new/node/27

19. AQuickOne

AQuickOne New Member

I am pretty sure this is very close to the truth, especially for past recordings like Rock you like a hurricane.

In his current tour setup he is using 3 amps, 1 Fender, 1 Marshall and 1 other (I couldnt recognize) exclusively for his talk box (for The Zoo) as well as Boss distortion and chorus and also a wah pedal. The amps sound a bit different so he has some options for his rhythm tone, amp A, B or both and on top of that the talkbox-amp, all quite simple but tons of tone with much variety.

20. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member VIP Member

Jabs had also once replaced the Marshall amplification logo on his amplifier cabinets with his own name, in the same font style as the Marshall logo. Besides Marshall, Matthias uses Wizard cabinets, Hiwatt, Engl, Fender Prosonic and Soldano amplifiers and cabinets, kitty hawk preamps, Dunlop picks, Seymour Duncan JB pickups, back in the 80s he uses marshall JCM 800 2210 amplifiers which you can see on the world wide live DVDs, Ovation 6 and 12 string acoustics, D'addario strings, talk box from Heil. In 2010 Cort Guitars collaborated with Matthias to develop his signature line of electrics guitars called the Garage 1 and Garage 2.