Marshall YJM Gas.........

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Blcws6, Aug 14, 2014.

1. FennRx

FennRx Well-Known Member

In the interest of not getting banned, I'm just going to tell you to please stop posting. Your comments are so ignorant and just plain wrong they border on absurd.

Viking62 likes this.
  2. Blcws6

Blcws6 Active Member

Dreyn77 has been posting absurd comments for a long while now. My suggestion, ignore him. Lets get back on topic haha! You guys have been very helpful. If this amp is all its tauted to be then I would have no problem spending just short of $3000 for it.

3. FennRx

FennRx Well-Known Member

YJM in action....Listen to how bright and nasty it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upv9zYosRgA

Redstone likes this.
  4. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Here is a really old clip of my YJM with my 63' Gretsch Jet Firebird. I don't remember my settings (might have used a tiny bit of the on board boost since my Gretsch doesn't break up as much as my other guitars).

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/redstonemusic/1963-gretsch-jet-firebird[/SC]

dslman likes this.
  5. Blcws6

Blcws6 Active Member

wow those were some convincing tones guys

6. John 14:6

John 14:6 Well-Known Member

I have said it before and I will say it again. The YJM100, even with a Malmsteen Stratocaster, will only make you sound like Yngwie IF you CAN PLAY like Yngwie. Otherwise you are just going to sound like a guy playing whatever guitar you may prefer into an old non-master volume Marshall. The amp will do whatever you have the chops to do with it. It will not hide sloppy playing, but it will teach you where you need to tighten things up in your playing. The amp can do anything a great old non-master volume Marshall can do, but at a gig friendly volume. The YJM100 will sound good at its lowest EPA volume setting, but it will sound AMAZING as you turn it up some. It IS NOT some whisper quiet bedroom amp.

dash8311, indeedido and FennRx like this.
  7. CaptainZero

CaptainZero Well-Known Member

I had already ordered the AFD before the YJM came out, otherwise, I'd probably have the YJM. The AFD is awesome, but I would like a clean channel. :shrug:

8. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

I think this is the most fun YJM clip to watch; once it hits about :27, it's on! :metal:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLH4wzIiCGE]2 minutes to midnight guitar cover IRON MAIDEN - esp gus g marshall yjm 100 - YouTube[/ame]

Redstone likes this.
  9. John 14:6

Here are some of the YJM100 videos that really sold me on it. There were other clips as well, and few great ones that I can no longer find on Youtube.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWWTcHb_f3I]Testing Marshall YJM 100 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aGa7fYlOmM]Vámos Zsolt Hangfoglalás 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecttTf1aH2s]"I Am a Vicking" solo cover (Yngwie Malmsteen) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bORy-aqiZ9k]Marshall YJM Head - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp7yiO1_khI]Episode 17: Marshall YJM 100 & PRS Studio - YouTube[/ame]

dslman likes this.
  10. proxy

proxy Active Member

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  11. John 14:6

The YJM100 will pull off Iron Maiden stuff very well. The guy in the video did not have it up very loud so it did not sound as mean as it does when cranked up louder. I don't know if the guy was using the stock booster or another pedal. My YJM100, Maxon OD808 overdrive and my Charvel can just nail the whole 80's metal thing as well as any rig I have ever owned or played through.

12. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

to me it was just brittle & glassy but not in a good way. I tried it w/ a LP,HSS hot rod strat,& traditional strat. I didn't get to really crank it w/out the power scaling,used no outboard boost pedals, & maybe the speakers needed breaking in or a different cab but it just wasn't for me "as it sat".

of course,I like a bit of a higher gain amp straight off the shelf,but not so much as these newer deathcore gain type amps.

selectable PPIMV would probably be the ticket for lower volume stuff & a OFA modded SD-1 or that tube boost OD in louder applications for me w/ that amp.

13. crossroadsnyc

This statement is simply inaccurate.

dslman and blues_n_cues like this.
  14. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

Here's a recording that my band recorded last year. All the guitars are played through my YJM.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouVN60G58DQ]Alternate Ending - The War Goes On - YouTube[/ame]

Söulcaster and dreyn77 like this.
  15. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

I bought my TSL60 since I bought my YJM. I bought it as a backup though. We did an outdoor show and it was looking like it was going to rain. I was scared to death that my YJM was going to get rained on. From now on if we do an outdoor show and it looks like it could rain, my TSL is the amp I use.

16. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

I actually considered getting a second YJM as a backup in case anything went drastically wrong with mine. I had my eye on one in a store that was sitting for a while, but someone came into the YJM thread looking for it, so I thought it would be better off with someone who doesn't have one yet.

My JCM1C is like a backup to my YJM. I was glad it was there when my YJM was in for repairs a while ago. I still don't really get on well with its stock speaker, but its great through my 1960AX. If Marshall made a sort of YJM20 or YJM5 that was roughly the size of the Friedman Pink Taco, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and use it as a portable YJM.

17. indeedido

indeedido Active Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
    I couldn't love my YJM100 any more. Every guitar I run into it sounds heavenly.

Viking62 likes this.
  18. crossroadsnyc

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTKYxJ06xxk]Marshall YJM Jam by AlexK - YouTube[/ame]

dreyn77 and dslman like this.
  19. Viking62

Viking62 Well-Known Member

Its a fantastic amp mate, if you've got the dough get one, you wont be disappointed, doubt worry about Dreyn77 jibberish..

20. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

YJM100 is a good amp, but for what it does (or rather for what you get versus what you don't get), $2900 (as the OP stated in his quote above) is a thoroughly stupid price to pay for a used YJM100. I also think $2500 (a number BD got from some of you who stated $2500 is the estimated average lowest/starting price for this amp) is also a a ridiculous price to pay for a used YJM100. The warranty doesn't transfer, so you're jolly-well phucked if something goes wrong with it that would have been covered under the warranty. You also can't price it similarly to what an original plexi, reissue plexi, or hand-wired plexi would cost for the obvious reasons. So some of you guys must be pulling the pricing straight out of your a$$es because there is no real rational/standard for something like $2900 or even $2500 for a used YJM100. Somebody even tried comparing the pricing for a used YJM100 to the price of a new JVM410HJS, but that is also an insane idea for the obvious reasons.

The only real reason people price it to high is usually because they want to turn a profit-that's it! And for those selling their YJM100, they judge theirs against the condition and age of other used YJM100 to justify a higher price, so the insanity of pricing just goes up. Pure ego, arrogance, and greed in hyper mode!

Most anything used that is at several months to 10 years old is going to depreciate. And because that most YJM100 amps are not at least 10 years old, the collectibility angle cannot really be a factor in pricing yet. Then again, collectibility only matters if the gear in question is actually used to make music that has a huge impact on many people. We think of original super lead plexis, 1959 les pauls, etc., and people tie them to a series or group of recording/performances that had a huge impact on many people; it makes some sense that these pieces would command a lot of money. The YJM100 hasn't got that status, and I really don't think that it ever will for some very real, obvious reasons (such as limited quantities) and not just some kind of personal bias that some of you will probably mouthoff. The proud will get pissed off, but if an auction feature and original used Marshall amp that was actually played by Jimi Hendrix went up against a original used YJM100 owned and played Yngwie himself, which do you think would command a higher price? Likewise, I (nor most people I'd venture to speculate) think any guitar owned by Yngwie will ever command the same price that Clapton's blackie did at an auction a few years ago. The general music loving public really don't give a sh*t about what Yngwie has done with his talent or his gear. There is, therefore, really no reason why the YJM100 should command $2500-$2900 right now...but maybe in 30 years.

I don't doubt for a second that some moron out there has or will pay $2500, $2900, or even $3000 for a used YJM100 in the very near future.