Marshall Vintage Modern

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Dean Swindell, Nov 25, 2018.

1. blues

blues Active Member

I'm sorry. What I was originally talking about is a forum that was only for the VM amp. Nothing else. Not the Musicians Roadhouse.

2. Stratmauler

Stratmauler New Member

The designer of the VM contributes to the VM page in Musicians Roadhouse from time to time, and there is much good info to be had.

Mitchell Pearrow and blues like this.
  3. Stratmauler

Stratmauler New Member

What I'm saying is; VM has its own forum within Musicians Roadhouse.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. blues

blues Active Member

Yes I understand.

What I'm saying is there was a different forum not related to the Roadhouse.

A forum dedicated to the VM that is not within the Musicians Roadhouse or had anything to do with the Roadhouse.

5. Jason Kennedy

Jason Kennedy New Member

The marshall roadhouse forum is/was the VM forum. it expanded after resolving malware issues etc.

blues likes this.
  6. blues

blues Active Member

Thanks

7. Mystic38

Mystic38 Active Member

So...

Seeing all the angst over the fx loop in the new studio amps caused me to pull out the Vintage Modern 2266c and check my recall.
    It has an unbuffered loop, that can cause a volume loss, tone loss on long leads and also pops with true bypass pedals ..exactly how i thought i remembered.. but ya know..you gotta check..lol ..I also remembered just putting in an MXR MC401 driver, matching the volumes and forgetting about the "issue"..

Anyway..that is how it got out of the closet..and, ..its still out, Master on 5, HDR mode, detail 4, body 1, tone controls dimed and any thoughts of a studio series amp fade away in classic rock tone heaven....:jam:

JimiRules, Kinkless Tetrode and Jon C like this.
  8. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

with ya..been on the hunt..next amp on the list is the VM...you got a great amp there...i had both new studios in my cart and re looked at all my amps a/b''d em all no way will the new stuff will replace it..going the other way..older and more wattage..the tone is in volume most forget and..no matter how you want to make it untrue..and those that will admit ..marshall has that spot where it comes to life..you dont mess with much..you play and play and play...also CL has got great stuff on lately..VM & jube soon.while peeps are in a bedroom 1 watt craze and dumping the classics

JimiRules, Mystic38 and Jon C like this.
  9. tolm

tolm Active Member

Loved my old 2266C 2x12 combo and probably the only amp I really regret selling - mainly due to the stupid low price I let it go at.

If they did / had done a 1x12 combo or a smaller box (2245 size) head that would’ve been perfect.

10. BftGibson

those in the know...2266 or 2466 ?

11. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I think VM's have come through the low point where they were a discontinued model that nobody wanted/understood/appreciated.

Now there are new-build single-channel Marshalls with Origin and Studio Vintage. But in the same $ range you can find a lot more amp in the form of a lightly used VM. And its still a modern design and UK built. IMO, the combo is where its at, with manageable volume, a good ppimv and an exceptionally nice 2x12 pair of Greenbacks.

tolm likes this.
  12. Mystic38

Mystic38 Active Member

The 2466

I have both 2266 and 2466 amps (and the combo) and the differences between the 2266 and 2466 are quite marked.

The 2466 is the VM on 11.. tightness and strength in the bass, transient attack and a bit more headroom. just more...you know..like 11

Mitchell Pearrow and BftGibson like this.
  13. BftGibson

believe i understand that, thanks, i have recently moved towards 100 watters and seems i found an appreciation for the fullness just being there from the start vs forcing to get it. thanks again..

Mitchell Pearrow and Mystic38 like this.
  14. Mystic38

Mystic38 Active Member

I agree.. i sincerely expect increased appreciation of these amps..both critically and financially.

fwiw, the combo does not sound as good as a 2266 + 212 cab, but that is like every combo tbh, but the plus side to the combo is that you are not getting just greenbacks, but g12c custom hendrix greenbacks.. not huge difference in tone but noticeable and desirable methinks..

and as a PSA i suggeest anyone looking at 2266c should check that original speakers are in it..

15. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I think the VM is a fantastic amp that needs to be understood before you can get good tones out of it. I tried one and had no idea how the controls worked and I didn't get a good sound. I went back and played one again after hearing all the love for it on this forum and was pleasantly surprised. I would imagine it would be a great mod platform as well.

JimiRules and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

2466 (IMO). I've had both, and as with most amps, the 100w just sounds "bigger", has more punch, and is funner to play through. The 2266 is not as loud as your typical 50w Marshall (at least, it didn't seem so). I would imagine the combos are freakin' heavy, as the VM has some big transformers. I had a purple 2266, looked a bit "off" sitting on my black 4x12, so I took my time and found a nice 2466 in black.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  17. BftGibson

thanks for the info

18. Chris4189

Chris4189 Member

For those looking/wanting the 45/100 tone out of the VM 2466 here is Steve (the designers) recommended settings: LDR, boost off, detail at 2-4 o’clock, body at 1-3 o’clock, dime every other knob and set the MV to taste.