Marshall unloading Origin series?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Msharky67, Nov 27, 2019.

1. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Active Member

The Origin was overpriced to begin with. Look at the DSLs being cheaper and having more features. 2 channels, reverb, audio in and emulate out. My guess is they have inventory they want move.

tce63 likes this.
  2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

some people do not want those "features" at the cost of tone...

Some people like to use the volume/tone controls on their guitar, rather than step on a footswitch for instant clean w/ no inbetween...

3. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

Sweetwater lowered the prices to compensate for the now collected sales tax.

tce63 likes this.
  4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Absolutely, Dogs of Doom is spot on, especially the part about switching channels. I never liked switching channels to go from a overdriven sound to a crystal clean sound. Not as bad if you can set the amp to go from a overdriven tone to a slightly less overdriven tone imo.

Dogs of Doom and tce63 like this.
  5. stickyfinger

Yes that is very true but my point was the DSL cost of the manufacturing should be higher giving the more parts yet the price is cheaper.
    I would also bet the DSL sells more units.

tce63 likes this.
  6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about a Origin20H, I was kind of interesting in the SV20 but I don't want to spend that kind of money on that kind of tone. If I can find a Origin20h used for around $300 I just might pull the trigger, I don't know.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Just keep checking GC used Marshall gear, thats how I have been able to grab things on the cheap.
    Cheers

8. Timmy51

Timmy51 Active Member

There’s not enough room. I measured. I don’t really feel the need for a 10 though. It’s tight and punchy, great for home or studio. It’s not a small sounding amp. That 8 will fool you. I have other speaker cabs I can plug into and also a DSL5CR with a Greenback 10. I actually prefer the stock 8 that it came with.

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  9. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

Yes I keep looking at them. I am in the same boat. Save up or cave in. Sucks being poor and the wife said she would kill me if I get another amp. At least I'd die happy! The studio heads are overpriced too. They should have been around $899 new. Most people aren't paying full price I believe because of this. Plus the cost of an attenuator with it. You have to have something to even be able to use it. That is why there should have been a mid priced range in between. Either cheap or expensive. Have to be patient I guess.

tce63, scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I know what you mean man, I’m on a fixed income and I don’t work. My wife does but unfortunately she doesn’t make a lot of money. So it’s a guilt trip spending so much money on one amp like my SC20.

Not to even mention all the other little stuff like pedals, cables, speakers, cabinets, etc, etc, etc. One really good thing that helps is our house and our cars are paid for, no mortgage, no loans,...so that really helps.

Oh well in the big picture,....(like most of us), I’ve got a lot to be thankful for! We Americans take a lot of things for granted sometimes, we’re so fortunate to just being born in this country.

Oh well l better shut up and get off my soapbox! :)

11. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

All is well said 'scozz' & I agree! Hope you & everyone here had a Happy Thanksgiving yesterday! And now it`s time to 'rock on' some more!! :hbang:

12. konrad gibson

konrad gibson Member

Bought one last week @ the big T for 369.- €. Insane.Other big shops sell the amp for 496 and more. A great amp. Love it.

13. gkterry

gkterry Member

A tip for the Origin 5C would be to buy the WGS G8c speaker (https://wgsusa.com/8-g8c-20-watts) at the princely price of $39 and it will make the amp much better sounding. I have that speaker in a V1 Dr Z Mini Z and in my Marshall DSL1c 50th anniversary 1W amp. You cannot beat the improvement for the small price.

14. MaskingApathy

MaskingApathy Well-Known Member

You mean a DSL?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

The Origin is old school with a couple modern features. The cab is solid birch, it sounds better IMO than a DSL40C or CR so I think the price is just right IMO! Of course lower cost is always good but then QC normally drops.

tce63, LCW and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I may just take you up on that suggestion. I have a DSL1C and JVM1C. The 8s that come in those are a joke. Of these two amps i have the chassis pulled and both mounted in a rack. I do think 8s are too small regardless but for $39 × 2 it would be worth it if they make these small combos more usable.

17. Bonedaddio

Bonedaddio Member

Unloading... it wouldn’t surprise me.
    I had an Origin 50 W Head, (new in box) tried it with all manner of cabs, volume levels, overdrives etc. and it was not for me, so returned PROMPTLY to GC.
    YMMV, it’s all subjective, my Origin experience was “Uhhh... NO!”
    I don’t really have the money, retired etc., but my SV20 head arrives today. Had to pay $1104, out the door, for the tone I want in my ears.
    ‘Nuff said!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  18. stickyfinger

Can you confirm this?
    Seems unlikely, even the uk built JVM head has a MDF front panel and cleats.

19. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I used to have the Dsl40c’s version, but I had no idea they did one for the 20r