Marshall Tsl60/tsl100 Appreciation Thread!!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Yamariv, Jun 19, 2018.

1. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Other thing I remember about mine was it was loud. Not just loud but OMFG loud. We did an outdoor gig and the sound guy said I'm going to mike you up now but I don't know why - over at the delay tower (about 40 yards away) that thing sounds like it's 10 feet away. TSL 60 2 x 12.

2. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Ahh yes. The TSL. This last week, I finally got around to fixing mine. It's a 100 watt head, and has given me a lot of trouble.

I got a new issue 20 board quite a while back and installed it. The amp sounded good and ran fine for a few weeks, then the runaway bias problem returned. I shut the amp down, ordered the Dr. Tube mod kit, and didn't touch it again for the last 6-7 months or so.

Couple days ago, I tore down the amp again, ripped out that board and successfully installed the mod to the new board. The bias is stable, and now this amp just flat out rips!

I normally use my DSL for jams with the guys, but I think this TSL has a lot of use in it's future.

At this point, having my TSL working again is almost like having a new amp around. Haven't really been able to play with it for most of the years I've owned it, and I was starting to consider getting rid of it. Glad I didn't. Really diggin the tones I'm getting, but the clean channel ain't great IMO. Oh well, I don't mind as my style of getting clean tones usually just involves rolling the guitar's volume back until she cleans up... The only thing missing is that New Amp Smell.

3. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

I just got a TSL60 and the Orange Crunch channel is flat out amazing!
    Clean channel is still to be determined and lead was good, but that crunch channel, I love it already!
    I want to modify my 2204 to match it!

4. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

I’m gonna miss the Trash Bin Pick Up ? ohh well ……I was getting tired of lurking outside your place waiting for it to show up !!

5. mcblink

Maybe not lol

...since that post, it fucked up again, and again I consider getting rid of it...

Sapphire Sounds likes this.
  6. 6StringStewie

6StringStewie Active Member Premium Member

I am looking for a TSL 100 head for a project. If you don't want it anymore, I would love to give a new home. I have a TSL 122 that I would like to break apart into a head and cab.

7. mcblink

I seriously don't know how I feel about this amp anymore, but I have a sneaking suspicion that after a bias pot job, it may be good to go. It's gotten a new board. It's gotten the Dr. Tube mod. The only weak link left, to my knowledge, is the bias pots. Not sure when I'll get around to fixing it, or if I'll just offload it, but if I decide to move it along, you'll be the first guy I tell!

8. Sapphire Sounds

Sapphire Sounds Member

Get the bias pots for yours, fingers crossed that does the trick, I am replacing mine this week. Its on a thread here too..

Mitchell Pearrow and mcblink like this.
  9. mcblink

You should take pics, lots of pics, and do a thread here that details your progress....would be helpful for me to see, and possibly even other TSL victims, too.

10. Danley

Danley New Member

Checking in - two months or so, and I still love my 602 combo. My recipe is keeping the bass pretty low on the drive channels (but keeping the bass boost on,) staying far from the mid-shift button, and keeping the master volume up. Very solid tone with no fizz whatsoever, rock solid highs and a ton of bass (I’m using stock Wolverines, that said.) Love the cleans, love the crunch, love the lead channel - it might be a bit looser than ideal for modern metal tones, but likes a drive in front of either gain channel.

But it can go to shit in less than a second if you turn on the mid-shift, EQ it wrong, or keep the master too low and crank the channel volumes.

11. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

I waited a long time to get a TSL100 due to all the talk about the issue in the earlier years. I finally ran across a 2008 and got it and love it to where all my other amps are collecting dust. The only down side is the effects loop not the greatest. Been thinking about selling the DSL50 and get a TSL 60.

12. Yamariv

Yamariv Active Member

That's what I did and don't regret it at all..Do it!!

GIBSON67 and Hutch like this.
  13. Zensee

Zensee New Member

Just obtained a tsl60 that needed repair. Now that it's fixed it will be on the next song i record. Nothing but love for it.

Yamariv likes this.
  14. EADGBE

EADGBE Well-Known Member

I love the TSL60s too. I have a head and a 2x12 combo. One of the cool things about them is they're easy to bias. Provided of course you know what you're doing. They sound great. Even when not cranked. My favorite preamp tubes are JJ ECC83S, Sovtek 12AX7LPS and the new Tung-Sol 12AX7. Favorite power tubes currently are the JJ EL34 and the new Svetlana EL34.

Yamariv likes this.