Marshall Tsl60/tsl100 Appreciation Thread!!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Yamariv, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Russ Rocket

Russ Rocket New Member

Sapphire Sounds likes this.
  2. Russ Rocket

Russ Rocket New Member

You made several good points. I am a big believer in the a/b shootout. I've done it with a hundred different amps and I am often shocked with the results. The current champ in my stable is the tsl. That amp shocked me because I had low expectations for it. I agree the dsl is overrated. I've owned one and tested several and still can't get a good sound out of one no matter what I use to enhance it. I don't understand why it's so popular. I guess the low price is one reason.

Sapphire Sounds and Yamariv like this.
  3. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Now I want a TSL to compare to my other marshalls. Thanks Marshall forum... Damnit!!!! Lol

4. tschrama

tschrama Well-Known Member

I remember that the clean channel on my TSL60 was amazing... the higain channel was a bit to noozy and I had to get rid of the gyrator based depth.

5. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

The cleans on my TSL were noisy until I lowered the bias. There was a scratchy noise to it if you dug in hard. Changing preamp tubes never fixed it but since lowering the bias it seems to be gone.

The lead channel is pretty harsh and seems to lack lows. I'd like the amp even more if the lead channel was more like the crunch just with extra gain, but the voice is different. It works well for a lead boost though, so I just set the crunch up with a high gain boosted tone and used the lead for extra cut on top of that.

6. Russ Rocket

Russ Rocket New Member

Do it. You won't regret it. I feel it's the best kept secret ever in the tube amp community.

7. Kiko

Kiko Active Member

Love my TSL100 head!

8. Yamariv

Yamariv Active Member

SWEET!! I started this thread cause I knew my ears couldn't be lying to me, I knew there had to be other TSL love out there! :dude:

Yes the clean channel is awesome, totally didn't expect a Marshall to sound that good clean!

9. Russ Rocket

Russ Rocket New Member

Yes the clean channel is great and I use it alot. But I bought it for the other two channels. I have owned and still own many of the greatest tube amps but the tsl surprised me when I didn't expect to be impressed. So I bought it and then immediately hunted down a second one and bought it for a backup.

10. Yamariv

Yamariv Active Member

Wow, that's real love if you went out and hunted a second one as a backup!! :dude:

Out of curiosity, do the two TSL's sound identical?

11. Jeff Hudson

Jeff Hudson Active Member

Sapphire Sounds and DannyB like this.
  12. Jeff Hudson

13. Jeff Hudson

I'll go with the preamp tubes not sounding good, the power tubes to me sound close enough for me not to spend more for different tubes. JJ's seem to be more robust for CP tubes. I use a long plate in v4 due to the high demand the amp places on that tube.

14. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

@Yamariv

If you do, what I and others have done, your TSL100H is one you keep all your life. If I didn’t also an HJS, I’d be hunting down another JCM2000 TSL100H and I’d do all the upgrades. I’d use a different set of tubes, but NO JJs!

Don’t underestimate the tone different output tubes make. CP JJs to CP Mullards or TADs is daylight and dark.

15. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

Please don’t take me wrong. I’m not bashing JJs. The are a solid CP tube. Mesa uses JJs exclusively.

We all have opinions, and mine is no more right or wrong than yours.

Mine is that, if you insist on JJ tone, stop trying to make your Marshall sound like a Mesa. Just sell your Marshall, buy a Mesa and be done with it.

:agreed::agreed: To quote a “much loved” TV personality, “YUUUUP!”

:applause::rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

Please don’t take me wrong. I’m not bashing JJs. The are a solid CP tube. Mesa uses JJs exclusively.

We all have opinions, and mine is no more right or wrong than yours.

Mine is that, if you insist on JJ tone, stop trying to make your Marshall sound like a Mesa. Just sell your Marshall, buy a Mesa and be done with it.

:agreed::agreed: To quote a “much loved” TV personality, “YUUUUP!”

:applause::rofl::rofl::rofl:

17. Rds

Rds Member

Great thread. I first got a 122, then had some of the known issues. Changed the board to the newest version. have no more proplems, have maybe 750 buck in it and it's just awsome. I like them so much I found a tsl 100 head for good price. Did the same thing, and retubed. Goes through a 1960. It will melt your face. Just great sounding amp. New boards seem to solve the issues. So you can get a tsl for fairly cheap, correct the problem, and have a kick ass marshall for pretty cheap. My foot switches have worked great.

18. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

I took my TSL apart to do the Dr Tubes bias mod kit and found that one of the large 5w 1000ohm resistors for the power tube was both loose in the board and when tested measured at 9,500 ohms. Also c46 was burned up entirely.

I fixed the large resistor, clipped c46 off, installed the bias repair and reassembled. After setting the bias again to ~66 mV the amp sounds better than ever and shouldn't ever have bias problems again. The tones are much smoother and clearer, the hiss the amp had is gone, and the midrange sounds a lot better so I didn't have to scoop it to get a good tone.

That said as much as I love it and it does sound really really great now, there is just that "something" missing that the JCM800 Kerry King has. While the TSL will match it for low end with the deep switch engaged it's a much looser/woofy low end tone. Without the deep switch engaged the amp sounds killer but is missing some grunt (at least at the volumes I can reasonably play which is with the master on about 2.5-3, I know the TSL gets much ballsier when cranked to 5-6 but that's deafening. It's likely the KT88 power section of the King that allows it to be more robust without driving the snot out of the power section.

Both great amps but I can only keep 1 unfortunately.

19. tschrama

tschrama Well-Known Member

its not tjr KT88... The gyrator based deep of the TSL is tuned to about 50Hz.... much too low.

If you replace it a classice depth pot (1meg//4n7) you'llbe much happier.

20. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

TSL122 is a beauty cause it's got the full 100w head AND the proper Vintage/Heritage premium speaker pairing in one combo.

I think a lot of the heads and combos got frowned on because people tried them with crap cabs (or the budget speakers in the 601 and 602 combos)...

Nor are they a good fit imho with the next step up intuitive cab choice, 1960A/B

21. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Agreed! And, according to the manual and spec sheet and naming convention, 120 watts. Crazy. Much nicer amp than its brethren the 602.