Marshall Tsl60/tsl100 Appreciation Thread!!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Yamariv, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Yamariv

Yamariv Active Member

I know these amps have a few haters but I just don't understand how.... So I've decided to create an appreciation thread cause I absolutely LOVE mine!! Not sure if when they first came out they were biased wrong or people are just angry at the footswitch if it failed but these amps deserve way more love than they get.

My TSL60 sounds soo good that I sold my DSL50 head cause I couldn't get rid of the Fizz no matter what I did. The TSL doesn't have this fiz at all, it's super versatile with it's 3 channels and sounds amazing!! I just sit on my couch and click away between Lead, Crunch and Clean as I watch my TV. If I were gigging, I'd throw my 10 Band Eq in the Loop as a boost and control that from the foot pedal as well which effectively makes it a 4 channel amp!

Long Live the TSL's!! :dude:

2. SGFA

SGFA Member

I've had a TSL122 2x12" combo for years, and it was a great amp. Ended up selling because of the weight, but would reccommend any day a TSL, especially if you need versatility: a TSL100 head can be bought for excellent prices these days and it's a great buy.

3. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

I agree. I had a TSL60, and I thought it had great tones. I sold it because I was using my JVM and some other amps and the TSL wasn't getting much play time, but I thought it was a very good amp.

4. 6StringStewie

6StringStewie Active Member Premium Member

I have had some ups and downs with my TSL122, but I am very happy with my amp now. Had this been a new amp instead of a fixer upper, I doubt I would have the same fondness for it, considering all the known issues.

I enjoy having three channels and the crunch channel sounds fantastic. I like having an XLR out option for recording or foh use. My girlfriend likes the mute button so she can listen to the TV, lol.

Sapphire Sounds likes this.
  5. crossy67

crossy67 Active Member

Great amps except for the loop! Once bias drift and Footswitch is sorted out theyre core tone is way better than the DSL’s imo...

Sapphire Sounds and Adieu like this.
  6. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have had no issues with my TSL122. They do sound quite different from the DSL series in that they are less fizzy sounding. Easy to set great tones. Roars with an OD up front and gets very loud quite quickly.
    Versatile, no bias drift, no footswitch issues. I have other 3 and 4 channel Marshall amps to compete with it but I'm keeping mine as it sounds so good!!

crossy67 and Sapphire Sounds like this.
  7. Yamariv

Yamariv Active Member

NICE! There is some love out there for these beastly sounding amps! I was hoping to put the thread together incase someone was thinking of buying one and was looking for some positive content about them and not to be scared away by all the negative ones.

Ok, so I'm not the only one who finds the TSL's voiced different from the DSL50/100's. I couldn't get rid of the fizz on my DSL no matter what I did but my TSL doesn't have that issue and the crunch channel around 1 O'clock gives me amazing tone! Yup, agree with the effects loop, works great as a boost but tried my Noise Gate in it and cause it's parallel it wouldn't work which was a bummer..

Sapphire Sounds and crossy67 like this.
  8. GT08

GT08 Active Member

Not sure why you feel the need for a Noise gate with the TSL 60? I have a TSL 100 head and never get close to needing one.
    The main reason I joined this forum was to quieten the TSL haters and it worked to a great extent, you should have seen all the hate there was before.
    As I said at the time of joining, real bias drift then fit a new main board. Faulty footswitch, fit a new cable.
    Regarding the fx loop, I find using the loop A set to No. 2 does it for me.
    Still using my TSL 100 head after 17 years bought from new, a great amp indeed.
    Rock n' roll

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  9. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Sold my tsl 60 because the crunch channel always sounded better to me than the lead channel. I was a bit of a noob at the time though and if I knew then what I know now etc etc. I seem to recall I got more on trade in than I paid for it new....

Sapphire Sounds and Yamariv like this.
  10. Yamariv

Yamariv Active Member

Nice, glad to hear your TSL has been a beast for 17 years!! :dude: Don't forget though that the TSL60 has a totally different Effects Loop than the TSL100's. The TSL60's is parallel only for some reason which works fine for a boost at least..My understanding of the TSL100's is you have the option between normal and parallel?

I use the noise gate for when I play single coils or my P90 Junior. I absolutely love the noise gate cause I can finally play the single coil guitars I love without the noise!

11. Yamariv

Yamariv Active Member

I find the Crunch on the TSL60 the best channel, but not the best by much though..The Lead channel sounds great to me and has no fizziness at all on mine which is a nice change from my DSL50 I sold..
    Of note though, I also have the amp biassed around 36ma and have nice ANOS tubes in the preamp.

12. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

There used to be a sub-forum here before the big change, that was the TSL tribe or something like that. It was full of good information. I was on it a lot when I first got my TSL 602. That really was a good amp. My experience with the effects loop on it was fine, it would work as a series loop, if the knob was turned all the way to one side. The foot switch cable was an issue, but I just opened up and soldered the broken wire as needed. Some guys were ditching the cable, and mounting R45 jacks in place, to use Cat5 cable.

13. Russ Rocket

Russ Rocket New Member

I'm happy to hear there are other tsl lovers. I have had several Marshall heads including early plexis, an 800, a 900, an early dsl, 3 jvms and many others. I had ignored the tsl because of the criticism. I will no longer listen to opinions on amps. I will use my experienced ears. I tried a friends tsl and was blown away. I though it must have been modded. It wasn't. I traded a jvm for it and then traded my Laney Ironheart for another one so that I would have a spare. I keep ten tube amps at a time and do regular shootouts. Tsl is top dog in my stable now. It has what all the other Marshall's were always missing. A big tight bottom. Happy to be back with Marshall!

14. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Good man. Don’t listen to others is right. Same experience here. I’ve got 10 various tube Marshall’s as well .when I got the tsl 100 head I couldn’t understand what there is not to like. Smh

Sapphire Sounds, GIBSON67 and Yamariv like this.
  15. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

My TSL100 was my very first tube amp, and undoubtedly the one that has given me the most shit of them all.

I don't even know this amp anymore. It's been broken off and on since 2012. I still have it, but don't use it.

That said, I do have very good memories of this amp, when it was operational, so I've recently decided to invest some time and a few bucks into it.

Hopefully I can once again appreciate it.

Even so, it started me on a journey that I think may never end and that's a good thing.

16. Yamariv

Yamariv Active Member

Awesome to hear there are more TSL fans out there, I knew there would be!!

I'm about to take delivery on a 67 JTM50 Black Flag Handwired clone this week, wonder how it will compare to the TSL..Let the battle begin!!

17. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

I own a TSL100H. I purchased it used about 6 months ago. It was in working order and worked well. It sounded pretty killer, despite being fully loaded with JJs, which I despise. A quick call to Doug, at Dougs Tubes, and Marshall righteousness was fully restored!

But I didn’t stop there. I added a choke, upgraded the OT with a Classic Tone. I got lazy and did not install the the upgrade ClassicTone Mains. But I will!

The main board was an issue 4 board. It had been successfully modded for bias drift. I didn’t need to, but I went ahead and purchased a new issue 20 board as it has upgraded relay switching.

I also own a 410V JHS. Both are MONSTERS of Marshall Glory. But they ARE different!

If you’re looking for a “buy” on a Marshall Monster, look at the TSL100H. Sooner or later, folks are going to catch on the JCM2000 TSL and prices will sky rocket!

Just ditch the myth that JJ’s are glorious! They are about as glorious as a turd in a wedding punch bowl!

On a side note, if anyone needs a modded main board, I’ll trade for decent pedal or something.

18. 6StringStewie

6StringStewie Active Member Premium Member

What tubes did you buy? I like EHX power tubes. V1 and V4 have high gain EHX's and V2 and V3 are JJ's. Slowly rolling tubes, but I found a high gain EHX in V1 boosted the clean channel volume.

19. Jeff Hudson

Jeff Hudson Active Member

Killer thread! I bought a TSL 100 2 yrs ago mine's a 2001. it worked fine when I bought it, had the original board. Changed that out for iss 20 retubed it. Rolled preamp tubes and been good to go. This amp tone wise goes where I feel like going, so its a keeper.

20. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

Really underrated amp IMO.

I think partially because they can be hard to dial in. It's really easy to get crap tones from them (or at least mine is that way). I have to roll the highs way down and it doesn't like to take much for mids on the crunch or lead channel either.

I recently found that the amp prefers a colder bias. I used to run it at 85mV but recently ran it down to 68 and it sounds waaayyy smoother.

Mine has Mullard EL34 power tubes and a Sovtec in v1, the rest are EH but I've also tried JJs.

The loop sucks. It's fine on clean but on the crunch or lead it causes a significant drop in volume and tone. The on board reverb is also pretty poor sounding so I leave it nearly off.

I definitely prefer to use the crunch channel and hit it with a Black Arts Toneworks Black Forrest overdrive which is based on the Coloursound Powerboost but with some EQ shaping. Great pedal.

My amp has a problem with bias drift and I have parts on the way to repair it, but I will likely sell once repaired because I just bought a JCM 800 Kerry King. Even repaired and with the proper grid resistors I really don't see the TSL holding a candle to the KK for sheer balls, tonal clarity, and more of the signature Marshall mid growl. But I could be wrong, I'll a/b them before I decide which amp to keep.

Long story short though I would take a TSL over a DSL or JCM900 any day of the week due to the separate EQs for the channels and versatility it offers.

The amp def gets a much worse rap than it deserves while the DSL is more on the overrated side of things IMO.