Marshall SV20 D/I Out....

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Rick66, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Rick66

Rick66 Member

Hi All...Hope you all are having a great day. I was curious about the D/I Out on the rear of the chassis. I was researching all over the net and couldn't find options on how this can be used.....As an experiment, I ran a cable out from this jack and into the effects return of a modded fender twin amp i have sitting on the floor. I have a juicebox between the amp and a 4X10 Marshall 1965a as well....if i turn the juicebox all the way down, i keep a load on the amp while at the same time the signal coming out of the twin can be controlled with its master volume, thereby allowing me to push the EL34's without things getting too loud.....plus, i can run it in the 20 watt setting....seems to be a good way to attenuate the volume while at the same time of getting the benefit of the breakup of the EL34's at the 20 watt setting....is this safe on the amp?

2. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

From the manual
    Screenshot_20191012-105850_Drive.jpg

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Is the "juicebox" you are attenuating the 412 with the DOD FX51? (the only other guitar related "juicebox" I found on Google was a pedalboard power supply)
    If so that might affect the load your amp is seeing.
    I am no expert, but might not the Juicebox be seeing the 412 load, whilst the amp is only seeing the Juicebox. If so that could be damaging for the amp, and maybe the Juicebox too as it is no longer getting the low level signal a guitar or FX loop outputs?

For what you are trying to do I think a proper attenuator is needed.

tce63 likes this.
  4. Rick66

Rick66 Member

Thanks for your reply. Running an amp without a speaker load is definitely not a good thing. However, as I mentioned in my original post, I do have the amp connected to to my 4X10 Marshall 1965a (avatar) and attenuated (with my Tubular Mods Juice Box Attenuator) mostly all the way down with just a small signal still coming through the cabinet. Barely audible. The D/I out signal to the effects return of the other amp is the one I am using.....

5. Rick66

Rick66 Member

Thanks for your comment....No, the Juice Box is an attenuator made by Tubular Mods. Mine is 8 ohms. Amp--->Juicebox--->Marshall 1965a Cabinet. My amp is still seeing a load, but the Juice Box is turned nearly all the way down so only a barely audible signal is still coming through the cabinet. The D/I signal going into the effects return of the other amp then is the one I use.

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  6. South Park

South Park Active Member

As long as that cab is hooked up your good

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  7. Rick66

Rick66 Member

Thanks...That's what I was thinking. While it works, I still much prefer just going through the 4X10.....

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I’m not sure I understand what the benefit of doing this is?

9. Rick66

Rick66 Member

Probably not much....i was really just messing around. It does allow me to play through a 2x12.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  10. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I'm not so sure the EL34's are going through the DI out.

Doesn't the Fender have 6L6 tubes, or something?

The Fender is a combo amp? right...

You could rig something up to run the SV directly into the combo speakers, rather than adding the Fender amp.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  11. South Park

South Park Active Member

If you are taped into the fx loop you are getting the preamp only.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  12. SkyMonkey

Good to hear. My Google search didn't throw up Tubular Mods.

You do seem to be missing out the SV20 power amp stage (EL34s) by running your described setup. It seems a very complicated way of running an amp. Have you tried just attenuating the SV20 into the 412. Am I missing something?

scozz likes this.
  13. Rick66

Rick66 Member

Nah, you're not missing anything...haha. My curiosity on how the D/I actually works sent me in this direction...I did not realize the D/I did not incorporate the EL34's,,,,Learn something new everyday. Certainly not what I am after. My other "idea" was the flexibility of using the 2 12's in the twin as an option. They are wired for a 4 ohm load and since my juicebox is an 8 ohm, i can't attenuate the signal so running it straight through the 12's gets really loud. My thought was do the D/I thing would keep things safe on the amp while allowing me to control the volume on the other amp.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  14. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

The D/I would be for running the signal to another amp to use both at once or as a Direct In to a board. That would sound awful.

15. SkyMonkey

How did you find the tone of the SV20s E/out. Mine is shockingly awful (when used with headphones).:(

But I can happily live without it. The rest of the DSL40CR is excellent.:hbang:

Edit* I see that the SV20 has a Direct Inject instead of an Emulated Out, is this a better executed option?

16. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

I don't have one but I would severely doubt it. The one onthe Junilee is atrocious. The emulated on the 6101 and JVM arent that bad for live sound.

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.