Marshall SV20 2x12 Cab

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Shreddy Krueger, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Shreddy Krueger

Shreddy Krueger Active Member

Opinions sought. Considering one to replace my Victory vertical 2x12 (V30s).
    Home only.
    Moderate volume (detached, no 'wake the baby', etc).
    Never gig.

What are your thoughts? I'm hearing mixed reviews on the quality of the speakers.
    I'll be running both a Friedman mini Dirty Shirley, and an Studio Vintage 20 through it.
    Expansive board.
    Probably an OX, Waza, or Power Station (the SV20 is a monster).

tce63 likes this.
  2. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Greenbacks go good with the SV. Have you tried different speakers in your Victory?

tce63 likes this.
  3. Shreddy Krueger

Shreddy Krueger Active Member

I lent the Victory to a friend, 350 miles away, who liked it so much I had to cave into his demands (honestly, he loves that sucker). So I am, once again, in the market for a cab. Prefer V30s with my main amp, the Mini DS, as they cut some of the flabbier frequencies and tighten the bottom end a little. Plus, I play 70s - 80s rock and metal, mostly. Everything from Hendrix to Zep, ZZ Top, Sabbath, ACDC, to EVH, Maiden, Dokken, Satch, Vai. The V30s just seem to work for me, considering how flexible I need the amps to be.

tce63 likes this.
  4. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

The V type speaker is often described as part V30 and part Greenback. It's 97 dbs instead of 100 dbs, although that might not matter if your re-amping.

I also prefer the V30 most of the time and with most amps. The exception is a old school amp ran at the edge of breakup. It that situation the Greenbacks just seem to work magic.

tce63 and Shreddy Krueger like this.