Marshall Origin 20h For 50th Birthday?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by saxom, Feb 14, 2019.

1. saxom

saxom New Member

i am strictly a bedroom player albeit I play along to rocksmith at fairly high levels. I play rocksmith accompanying track through a big home cinema system and split my signal so I only hear myself coming through my amp.

I am in the market for a Marshall head to complement my 1936 greenback cabinet. I have purchased both an origin 20h and dsl20h to compare them and have decided that the origin 20h is more to my tastes. I play mostly 60’s and 70’s classic rock eg skynyrd but also some modern stuff like Coldplay etc.

I actually really love the sound of the origin through the greenbacks and used in its lower wattage mode even without pedals I can get really good drive tones from it

Before I totally commit to it though I am curious how it compares to the studio vintage 20 head at double the cost. My big concern with the studio vintage is that it doesn’t have the 3 watt and half watt modes of the origin and thus I would be entirely dependent on pedals at living room levels

I am curious if people think I should try a studio vintage head given I really like the sound of the origin?

Jon

2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new amp and good luck with your choice.

Maybe order the Studio Vintage, try it and which ever one you dont like send back or just keep them both so you have a backup if needed.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I might try the combo SV add a greenback. I do have the origin 50, I think the SV will get ya "that" sound over the origin but its pretty loud for some people not me though on weekend playing.

4. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

3W can still sound pretty loud in the living room on full tilt (for perspective, that's about half as loud as a 30W amp w/out taking speaker choice into consideration). If you're asking yourself the question now, then it's a question that's probably going to eat at you until you have a taste. I'd bring home he SV and have a little shootout … you'll know in short order which one you prefer (and truth be told, I think you already know which one you want).

Happy Birthday, btw :bday:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

While you can tweak your settings on the Origin to keep volume modest (as well as use the lowest watt setting), if you're looking for classic crunchy rock sounds from the SV20H, it's gonna be way louder, even on 5w setting. Unless you use pedals and adjust your boost level below unity, which would work fine too. SV20H will get you much more overdrive sounds than the Origin, if that trips your trigger. Both are great amps but if you're strictly a stay and play at home guy, I'd lean toward the Origin and use the savings on some cool overdrive/boost pedals.

6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I think @crossroadsnyc nailed it in that last sentence. I was on the fence about the DSL20cr or the DSL20hr back a few weeks ago before NAMM. When I saw what Marshall had to offer for 2019 I was stopped in my tracks!

After a short deliberation I when with the Jcm 800 Studio Classic. This new amp sounds great, especially at low volume and in the 5 watt mode. I, like you are an at home player, my gigging days are long over. I’ve always wanted a low watt, made in the U.K. Marshall, and after hearing the demos of this amp I was hooked!

The classic sounds that come from this amp are the tones I’ve had in my head for some time now. And although the DSLs are great amps, my Dsl doesn’t do it for me like this amp.

I’d suggest to you to order the Studio Vintage and compare it to your Origen. Maybe you’ll stick with the Origen, but I suspect as @crossroadsnyc said,... “I think you know which one you want”.

At the very least you’ll have a/b them, and there’ll be no doubt.

Best of luck and a Happy Birthday!!

7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Active Member

For a purely bedroom player I would think that the Vintage is going to be way too loud. In 5 watt mode mine was loud in the studio last week. I've ordered an attenuator to control it in the studio and to allow me to play it at home, so that's extra cost.

I also have the Mini Jubilee head, which is master volume and I find it's fine to use at home, so I imagine the JCM800 would be too. Of course these have a different sound to the Vintage though. I've heard that the Origin does a passable Plexi tone anyway and it's also easier to control at bedroom levels, so maybe you already have the best option for your usage?

Happy birthday too. :) I bought a Gold Top Les Paul Studio for my 50th...big birthdays are a good excuse for gear purchases. :)

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:bday: I also have the origin, the 50H although it can do tv volume, it shines much better in the mix of a full band, and it is great for the music your playing, but you must decide with your ears and not our suggestions! Cheers to your decision Mitch

Kim Lucky Day likes this.
  9. Tore knutsen

Tore knutsen Member

I have both, and in my ears the origin don't even come close to the Studio Vintage. The origin is not a bad amp, just much weaker in in my opinion. If you wanna think money, take the origin. If you want the tone, pick the vintage.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I currently own both. If I were in your situation, I would just keep the Origin. You already said you like it. That is a big plus right there. The SV is indeed a great amp but for a bedroom player......not a good choice, unless you want to buy an attenuator as well. It is extremely loud and no master volume like on the Origin. You are in a situation where the Origin would work much better. The SV does sound better but sometimes other factors are more important.

11. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

I would have thought the studio classic would be a better option for home use being master volume . ( which is a must unless you attenuate or use a dirt pedal .)

tce63 likes this.
  12. Chris4189

Chris4189 Member

Studio vintage hands down. I have been running the head in low power mode, every dime knob dimed and have switched between an L pad and a power station and this little thing just kills it!!

I have been playing along to 70’s music all weekend while everyone has been home and havent got a single “turn it down” yet.

I’m keeping it soley for that reason alone.
    When everyone is gone, i break out it’s big brother (1959) and let it eat.

13. MarshallDog

Weaker...so you are saying the SV will keep up to the Origin in a band situation??

14. MarshallDog

Now thats a great review:yesway::yesway:

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. Tore knutsen

Tore knutsen Member

Not sure I understand the question here. The SV is another animal, got a much fuller sound, punch, everything (thats what I ment with weaker). But for a homeplayer, the origin is as I said a good amp for the price.

MarshallDog and tce63 like this.
  16. MarshallDog

Would it keep up in a band situation or in small gig venues without being mic’d?

17. Tore knutsen

Tore knutsen Member

Without a doubt, just a brilliant amp the studio vintage :applause:I think the SV has more volume than the origin, and it got much more omph and bottom end. the origin 20 will also keep up, no problem. But I dont need clean headroom, I crank it and use my tone and volume on the guitar

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019