Marshall Origin 20 C

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by konrad gibson, Dec 8, 2019.

1. konrad gibson

konrad gibson Member

Hi,
    got this amp since Nov 23rd 19 and used it a lot since then. It´s from April 2018. Good workmanship on the amp. The vintage sounds, crunch and clean, are superb, and it’s everything I could ask for in a small low priced tube amp. Love it for my Les Pauls and Strats. Great amp for a Stratocaster!!! At 30 lbs, it’s easily portable. I like the removable cord, rather than the hard-wired on my Fender Blues Junior. Love the boost, they got it right similar to Fender Blues Junior´s fatswitch, and like the 2-way footswitch to control the gain boost and turn the FX loop on and off. I run a Marshall reflector pedal here. Amp takes pedals great. I use a Friedman Dirty Shirley and Fender´s Santa Ana pedal for more gain or boost. Think the Powerstem is useful, allows you to have high, medium or low power modes. The V-type Celestion speaker is very suitable for the amp. I used the DI Out and think it is not bad. Great that you can use it without speaker load for silent recording. I compared it with Palmer PD 09 speaker simulation. You can easily manage missing highs or too much midrange on the mixing console. Watch the video on youtube. Original sound no equalizer! I love the amp and I can use it more at home than my 1974 x . I only use the 1974x with a Palmer PD 06 load box.
    My settings are: Gain 2/3 tilt 9 Bass 12 Middle 12 Treble 10 Presence 12 Master

conny-martin.de

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Sounds to me you have right where you want it.
    Nice playing too brother.
    Mitch

3. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

hooooooo...I didn't know the Origin had " DI Out and think it is not bad. Great that you can use it without speaker load for silent recording. " Had been thinking about the Strymon Iridium for that purpose. At its current MSRP I could nearly get a new Origin head. Use it in conjunction with some cab sims and it would prolly work out real good.
    BP

4. Jason Fieldhouseespk

Jason Fieldhouseespk Well-Known Member

Only issue I think there is though with that, is it has a cab sim on the DI.... so you cant pick and choose it...
    I will investigate into if it may be possible to disable to cab sim, that would be a good idea I think, for those that may want to use IRs :)

steveb63 and BanditPanda like this.
  5. BanditPanda

Thanks Jason
    Didn't know about the cab sim either! lol A disabling function, one hopes , would have been thought of by the designers.
    I appreciate your looking into it and look forward to your news.
    BP

6. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

@konrad gibson : thanks for sharing your videos, thanks for sharing your settings, and thanks for sharing your description of your experience with Marshall Origin.

I like the Marshall Origin. I tend like the Origin more for a lead voice than a rhythm (I think you demonstrated just how well it is suited for some lead work! I won't say Origin is useless for anything else, but it really shines as a lead voice ime. And as a lead voice, your videos have demonstrated that when placed in knowledgeable hands as yours, modern gear like amps are very well equipped to deliver vintage/classic tones that closely echo the venerable Marshall+Les Paul sound some of us have burned into our memories.

7. BanditPanda

Still will waiting for a reply from Marshall U.K.
    The owners manual stipulates " speaker emulation ".I wonder does that imply "cab emualtion" too ?
    At this point it's safe to say the speakers being emulated are:
    ORI20 combo
    Celestion V type 10”
    ORI50 combo
    Celestion Midnight 60 12”

BP

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Really hard to say, as I have never used this function yet, but I know it works as a load.
    Because I fired mine up one day and my grandsons friend had unplugged my speaker cable to test his new amp, and didn’t plug my cable back in.
    Cheers

konrad gibson likes this.
  9. Jason Fieldhouseespk

Jason Fieldhouseespk Well-Known Member

Well, maybe, maybe not.

The simulation may be just a basic EQ algorithm to give an impression of a guitar speaker of a certain size, not necessarily a specific speaker.

My only thought on been able to turn it off would be to find the pin that sends the EQ information and remove it, or make it switchable....
    That will most definitely require the help of the design team for that I think....

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. BanditPanda

Here's what Marshall had to say, I did go back and ask them which speaker was being emulated but I ain't holding my breath on that one.

"It cannot be disabled.
    Would need to modify the circuit , but Marshall does not allow any mods in their unit.
    It does not emulate any special cab, just an emulation of a loudspeaker."

11. Mitchell Pearrow

Great to know Ray, thanks for doing the leg work on this !
    Mitch

tce63 and BanditPanda like this.
  12. BanditPanda

And to wrap it up.....
    "It’s a General speaker..Not a specified one with a particular sound or color."
    BP

13. konrad gibson

konrad gibson Member

Wish you a great 2020.
    Another Blues...

14. eastwood6

eastwood6 Well-Known Member

Great tone and playing. Very tasty.

Nice collection of little combos you have there.

Frohes neues Jahr to you as well!

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  15. konrad gibson

konrad gibson Member

Thanx a lot. Cheers.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.