Marshall mg30dfx line out/internal speaker

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by R.L., Jan 26, 2020.

1. R.L.

R.L. New Member

Hey, I recently purchased a MG30dfx to use at church because of its size and internal effects. Problem I am having is I want to use the emulated line out AND the internal speaker for stage volume. I'm sure I can make adjustments to the headphone jack to use both at the same time, but I am worried that doing so will put too much strain on the amp. Had anyone done this is have any suggestions? We are not using stage monitors, but in-ear monitors. Just wanting stage volume. Or should I just mic it ???

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

"I want to use the emulated line out AND the internal speaker for stage volume."

That's no problem go ahead and do it. It doesn't strain anything it's OK.

R.L. and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 1st new member 2020 VIP Member

If you want to use the headphone out and send 1 signal to headphones and 1 to the house (because you're on a silent stage), then you need a small mixer of some sort.

Here's one example. There may be cheaper options, but I found this in a quick search. This one can split any signal 4 ways, $65. Perhaps other members can offer a better suggestion, but my point is that you should use a mixer or some kind of proper headphone splitter, and never a Y cable:

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/ART-SPLITMix...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B002VX0DCE

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Hook it up and crank it, thats what its made for. :yesway:

R.L. and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, as far as I know you can use line out and internal speaker with no harm whatsoever, I used to use the line out to another small amp.
    And had no issues at all.
    Cheers Mitch

scozz, Vinsanitizer and R.L. like this.
  6. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Solid state amps are not likes tubes the power section is a switch and gets hot if you crank it . the line out is not the problem . As long you don’t max it out all day you are good . I must be great feeling to be rock star to your church

Mitchell Pearrow and R.L. like this.
  7. R.L.

R.L. New Member

Thanks for the info! I plan on opening the amp up tomorrow and bypassing the switch on the headphone jack that turns off the speaker when I plug into that jack!

8. R.L.

R.L. New Member

"Rock Star"! Lol! Far from it, but it is fun! Thanks for the reply, I plan on altering the jack tomorrow to accomplish the task!

9. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

The trick the the headphone jack is to plug a cable in 1/2 way, and it won't shut off the speaker.
    However since those headphone jacks fail a lot, bypassing is probably a good idea.

scozz, Mitchell Pearrow and R.L. like this.