Marshall Major Prices Skyrocketing?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by AntonPlaysRock, Jan 5, 2017.

1. AntonPlaysRock

AntonPlaysRock Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice that the price gouging on these things has been going through the roof?

Just a year or two ago you'd see a metal face Major run around $2000, a plexi around $3k... now it seems sellers think the starting bid alone for a metal face should be at $3500 and that they should be selling at $5000!!

Seems to me like this trend has stemmed from sellers looking at other listings and working off of that, but the end result is that none of them are moving. In one particularly bad case, a certain LA-based seller bumped their price up from $3000 to $5000!! Needless to say, the amp still sits there. In fact, according to eBay, a Major hasn't sold for at least a year.

I can't imagine the demand for these is particularly high... what do you lot reckon a fair price for these amps is?

2. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Asking price means nothing.
    Just because someone lists an item doesn't mean it won't sit for years. like some Marshall gear on Ebay.
    I see stupid prices from LA a lot.

Look at actual sales, and compare apples to apples as far as condition and originality. And, like you said, no sales for a year
    for a Major..so go by the ones you can document, and ask around.

I recently sold a mint condition 1972 50 watt for $2750 in a few hours on Reverb. Prolly should have asked more.
    It was in NOS condition, like new, untouched and shiny.

Now, some sellers will see that, and ask $3K for a drilled on, recovered and rusted POS, with a Hammond transformer.
    And be firm on the price!

AntonPlaysRock likes this.
  3. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

It's @Michael RT 's fault. His videos showed them what a major would do :lol:

SG~GUY, BowerR64 and keennay like this.
  4. Appetite4distortion

Appetite4distortion Active Member

In general prices for vintage marshalls raised in the last 2/3 years, especially plexis. The good stock plexi specimens simply dried up, that's the crude reality. You still can find some honest prices but you have to look REAL hard and be VERY patient.

As for metal panels ptp era, they are still out there but many sellers are so very unrealistic. LA area seems to live in a different planet.

Majors are quite a different beast though: not so demanded, yes, extremely loud and quite niche compared to superleads/superbass/JTM, yes, but on the other side about 1200 were produced in total. That's not much considering how many were cannibalized/destroyed throughout the years. Good ones - not so many around. 3500$ still bananas for a metal panel major though, just my 2cents.

5. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I live close to Los Angeles area. From I've seen and heard around, there's no reason why Marshall Major amps should be priced so high as $5000. There's no huge push, demand, or renaissance for the Major in that area (and it's a big area. There's no up-and-coming band that's using them right now around that area to justify a jump. There's no big rumor running around (it's not as if someone like Eddie Van Halen was seen playing one or rumored to be buying them up in that area. The Major is simply not a popular amp around that area, which is not to say it's a crappy amp. I think it's just pure speculation on someone's part and/or someone is getting bad advice/information that causes people to price it at $5000 or around there.

Honestly, even $3K is too high even if in supreme condition, all new tubes, "recently serviced," etc. The idea that high quality profilers like the AXE-FX and Kemper can get you reasonably close in addition to what I stated above should cause owners of Majors to reconsider their pricing (which is not to say that the AXE-FX or Kemper offer dead on sound reproductions, but being "very close" is a reasonable description in my experiences.

I saw the same thing with the release of the YJM100 and AFD100. Around the L.A. area, the YJM100 never had the impact it had on this site if you got caught up in all the threads. If anything, I'd say the AFD100 probably attracted a bit more interest than the YJM100 mainly because it was better marketed (such as the popular AFD100 site, high "visibility"/frequent siting of Slash actually playing it almost everywhere, and Slash's huge influence in that area is still pretty strong.

My advice: learn how to drive down the price by asking practical questions. For example, ask the seller how many hours do all the tubes have. If the hours are high or if the seller can't tell you, then you counter with a lesser price because you'll probably have to buy all brand new preamp tubes and power amp tubes, and that's not something that can be dismissed lightly like a cosmetic flaw. Also, ask if the amp has original transformers. Transformers can be expensive, but are a huge part of the sound, especially when it comes to original transformer in vintage amps. So, if the seller says he gutted it and put in new transformers, you can counter with a lower offer by saying you are only willing to pay the asking price if it has original transformers, but are willing to pay a little less for whatever the hell is in there at present. In short, almost anything that has been removed from a vintage amp like Marshall Major can quality for lowered price because of the Major's status as an important vintage amplifier in Marshall 's history specifically, and in vintage amps in general.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    soundboy57 and AntonPlaysRock like this.
  6. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

I have had a boatload of heads, and never considered one. Too loud, too heavy, expensive to retube, etc.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  7. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Active Member

It happens with most vintage gear. Dealers set very optimistic prices, its how they make their margin, and are usually happy to sit on them for months or years until a buyer comes along with deep pockets. Some private sellers will do the same, but most are happy with a more realistic price and want a quick sale, and some people just give the stuff away.

I think soundboy hit the nail on the head. Value is directly related to condition and originality, not what the item is. However most of the people asking those optimistic prices do not look deep enough at the items sold in the past, so they might miss the fact that the mega high price item was completely mint and 100% original, when their own is only players grade. Yet they still want the same price because it is "the same item". See it with speakers all the time.

soundboy57 likes this.
  8. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Just have to shop outside of L.A. ;)
    I got mine (plexi PA) way under 2k.....at a Guitar Center in the Midwest...nobody would touch that thing
    Now we know ...who'll buy anything

9. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

I used to deal in comic books....There were lots of guys that saw someone was selling a near mint copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 for $1000's over the book price and when it sold thought their beat up copy had gone up in value too. It hadn't, the copy sold was exceptional and extremely rare in that condition, whereas there were still lots of beat up copies available all over the place. It was the condition of the book that made it worth more, not just because it was the first appearance of Spiderman.

10. Marshall200

Marshall200 New Member

The Marshall Major is an oddball creation and not so popular as the other classic Marshalls. I think the only reason it's popular at all is because of Richie Blackmore. But it is a rather unique amp and extremely clean sounding when stock. There wasn't that many of them made so maybe from a collectors standpoint, but I can't see spending $5000 on one.

11. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

I tried to get into comics when I was young,but never could get too deep into 'em . I WAS ,however, fascinated by these ads ,only to find out later that it was just a poster ....not a real 3-D monster

[​IMG]

Sammy "Fatdog" Cohen of Subway Guitars has one of the largest personal comic collections I've ever seen.

Majors, prices aren't going down. I wanted one for a LONG time . I remember a couple around 1998-9 going for around 1k ...and thinking that was outrageous...while wishing I had 1k

I always wanted one for bass ,THEN I got an early 80's SVT w/ 8x10 for a grand . However,now that I finally tracked down the Major, I'd rather play bass out of it than the SVT. The "official" bass players don't dig it so much ...they have no clue about VIBE

Mine was not in mint condition ,none of my amps are ,that's the only way I can afford 'em . Being a PA ,it had some extra channels to play with . It had some bad squeally one wire mod on a couple channels ,when I got it ...UGGHH . I got in there and basically made a 2203 preamp instead .Now it's rich n thick with no squeals
    AND sounds great for bass on the other channels

Keep an eye out ...when Im dead,everything goes !!! My kid don't play ,so he's got no interest in it . I may live another 30-40 years though......

[​IMG]

12. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

Marshall made about 1200 of these heads in late 60s to early 70s and with the allure of what Blackmore acieved with Purple and Rainbow plus some other famous users like J. Page and Joe Perry it will always have a niche and be pricey.

Blackmore got some insane sounds out of his amp. He played with such precision. I think he made the amp shine.... Not the other way around.

jmp45, Marshall200 and AntonPlaysRock like this.