Marshall JVM1H vs JVM 410

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by zxautumxz, Nov 8, 2013.

1. zxautumxz

zxautumxz New Member

I recently purchased a JVM1H 1 watt head. I originally wanted a JCM1, but went for this since they had it in stock. This amp sounds actually really good. The resonator feature adds an interesting tonality to the lead sound that I really like. The clean channel isn't really anything great ( I haven't spent a lot of time with the clean,) so I see this amp as a one tone amp but think that one tone is very good.

My question is, how does the 1 watt version compare to the full head 100w 410? What do you think of the resonator?

2. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Well-Known Member

I haven't really been able to A/B them, but my older brother has a JVM1 and I have the JVM410h. At some point, I'll get him to bring it over so I can hook it up to my 1960A cab and try them both out.

3. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

Dirty Harry on the Iphone and Dirty Harry on the Imax theatre screen.

Same sound different scale.

4. AndyK11

AndyK11 Active Member

I've always wondered where the gain on the JVM1 sits - does it equal the orange gain of the real JVMs? Or does the JVM1 gain pot cover orange to red?

5. zxautumxz

zxautumxz New Member

That is a good question. If any one can inform us that would be great. I am also very interested in how the JVM 410 handles the resonance. I had a Boss GT10 that had resonator effects and it could really do some awesome lead sounds.

6. acidvoodoo

acidvoodoo Well-Known Member

I think I read somewhere a while back that the gain on the JVM1 is based on the orange channel. Whichever it is I'm a big fan. The amp just flat out rips, its my favorite high gain marshall yet and sounds just like the big ones. I keep the resonance on all the time, it really adds some thump and for the gain I usually don't go past 11 o'clock.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    zxautumxz likes this.
  7. Chris.W

Chris.W New Member

Yea I think it's modelled on OD1 orange. I have a 410 and dont use the resonance knob.

8. zxautumxz

zxautumxz New Member

Would you say that is the preferable od channel? the od1 orange?

what is the red channel like?

How does the resonance knob change the sound?

9. Fuzz2203

Fuzz2203 Active Member

I'm pretty sure it's modeled after OD2 orange. From what I heard, the idea was to make it as versatile as possible, providing the cleanest section (clean green) all the way up to the highest gain (in this case OD2 orange, I think even marshall knows OD2 red is rediculously unusable)

10. zxautumxz

zxautumxz New Member

The LED goes from Green clean to Orange OD channel. Was just jamming on the amp, sounds really good. I am so curious about the 410h now. There are a lot of them for sale on ebay and around. Is the JVM better than a DSL?

11. Chris.W

Chris.W New Member

I think the OD1 orange is an excellent overdrive tone. The red is even higher gain. The resonance seems to add bottom end to your sound. Kinda the opposite of presence.

12. zxautumxz

zxautumxz New Member

So I guess the resonance feature on the JVM is not the same as a Boss resonator effect which creates kind of a feedback effect. Very cool for leads but not for rhythms.