Marshall JMP2203 from 1980

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Dimitar, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Dimitar

Dimitar Active Member

I had an ad posted on one website months ago that I would buy Marshall tube head. Yesterday, one man emailed me that he has Marshall JMP2203 head from 1980. This is the picture he took and send me. He says the head has never been played. The serial is 03524M. I can't wait till he tells me the price, and if it's OK... I'll buy it!!!

[​IMG]

:headbanger:

2. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

Very nice.

Dimitar likes this.
  3. Dimitar

Dimitar Active Member

What are the things that I should check before powering it? I don't want to blow something in it.

4. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

I'd take something that sweet to a very good, trustworthy tech....

That is beautiful!

5. Dimitar

Dimitar Active Member

I contacted the seller and the price for the head was kinda OK, but he won't sell it without the cab. And I have enough cabinets. He also said he has another JMP2203 head, but used more, he will sell that head without a cab and if it's in good condition I'll take it. I find JMPs sound warmer than most JCMs even they are build after the same schematic. My dream amp was JMP2203. I must do something to have it!!!

6. Thiez

Thiez Well-Known Member

I always have a bit of a doubt with ads that say 'never been played'. Why would you own a marshall JMP and never play it?

7. Dimitar

Dimitar Active Member

I don't actually care about that, I don't trust him either, but I was impressed by the condition. As long as the transformers and the wiring are good and not modded and the amp is in working condition, I'm satisfied. Caps and tubes will be changed.

Thiez likes this.
  8. boola

boola New Member

As you probably know, all Marshalls are a bit different. The way I see things is that a magic amp will have been played, probably a lot. A shit amp wouldn't.... Go for the other one!

9. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

You would know. You got one of the best sounding 79'-80' JMP's I've ever heard.

10. Rockcity

Rockcity Active Member

If the man is not so far, go visit him and try out amp. No other way you will be satisfied. It is not strings or a pick to get it by mail.
    I played several JCM/JMP and they all were a bit different.
    I've also found JMP suits better for my taste. Don't know how since they should be 2203 schematics as JCM.

11. Dimitar

Dimitar Active Member

I never bought something worthy without seeing and trying it. By mail, I only bought a humbucker :D I contacted him, but I'm still waiting for his reply.

12. Dimitar

Dimitar Active Member

I still didn't get any reply from the seller, so I'm in search for another head. I found a Marshall JMP 1959 MK2 Super Lead from 1977 (thanks Rockcity)! Everything seems to be original, except for the power and stand by switches. What kind of switches should be there, black and red rocker or toggle switches? Here are some pics from the amp, I'm still waiting the seller to send me pictures of the chassis and inside of the amp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GIBSON67 likes this.
  13. Tails

Tails New Member

Black and red rocker switches are on the MKII JMPs, the red one on the on/off and a black rocker for standby/off. That being said, that's a beautiful find you got there. Red Tolex was a catalogue special order I believe, unless it was retolexed. If everything is what the seller claims, that's a pretty nice find. :thumb:

14. Dimitar

Dimitar Active Member

The seller of the RED JMP 1959 told me that the switches and pots are changed and everything else - transformators, wires, caps are original, but the inside of the chassis is a mess.

[​IMG]

I contacted the seller of the first JMP I posted on this thread and I'll be checking it next week. YEAH!!!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  15. Viking62

Viking62 Well-Known Member

Very nice man, I had one and wished I never sold it..
    I agree when someone says its never been played that usually bullshit and means its been played very little. I'm guessing he'll want around $3000 for one in good nick. I saw2 very worn 1979 ones recently in Sydney, the guy wanted $1900 each or $3300 for both. But this one looks in particularly good nic apart from the gut shot..

16. Dimitar

Dimitar Active Member

The first JMP I posted will be probably 1000$ if he agrees to sell me without the cab! :)

The gut shot is from the red JMP 1959 I posted. I'm not considering buying the red one because the price is too high and it's very worn.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  17. Reckless_Life

Reckless_Life Well-Known Member

Well, I'd talk to the guy, ask if he played in a band or maybe it was his son's amp.... anything to get him talking about the amp, it can give an idea about why something is still new.

Sometimes people that play in bands they buy their amps double for backup reasons. If the first amp never gives problems, the 2nd amp never gets played and stays in mint condition. I've seen that more than once really.

Viking62 likes this.
  18. Dimitar

Dimitar Active Member

I talked to the guy, and he said that back in 1980 when his Superlead got stolen on one event (which I was informed about earlier from my friend where a lot of gear was stolen (heads,cabs,PA)) he ordered JMP2203 head from two places because he got an information that the first order would never make it to Macedonia but months later he also received that one. He played one of them and he kept the other in a box. Year later he went to the army, and when he got back he stopped playing. Both heads are in awesome condition, they both need cap change I guess, but one of them (the one kept in box) still has the original tubes.

19. Reckless_Life

Reckless_Life Well-Known Member

One should always be careful when buying, but you can be surprised what is still out there, never used and collecting dust.

It's like my cooker hood that I'm trying to sell, it's brand new, unused, still in box... people can be suspicious about it why I want to get rid of it, but it's just that plans changed while we were rebuilding the kitchen.
    (anyone fancy a cooker hood? :)

Dimitar likes this.
  20. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

I bought a rather rare '89 Gibson Explorer on Ebay a couple years back. It was cleaner than gear I bought new. The prebirth was on the cavity cover, the smell was a mix of factory and staleness, the cord, was fresh, the documentation crusp and untouched... I'm half-convinced the stings were original and pristine. It was literally a 20+ year old time capsule