Marshall JMP (Non Master Volume)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Tombwibble, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Tombwibble

Tombwibble Member

Morning All,

I seek some advice. I'm on the verge of picking up a non Master Volume JMP 1 Mk2 50w, before I do I'm a bit concerned as I currently own an old British Made JCM 2000 DSL. Which I love, but after using a 100 watt JMP MV, I have been after one. I have found one in great nick for £850. But as its non mv I'm concerned that I won't be able to get a good dirt sound without taking out the windows. So have come to you wise folk of the forum for advice.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member

You could always get an attenuator like the Weber Mass 100 for it. I use one with my 4010 and it does a decent job of delivering the goods.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. Tombwibble

Tombwibble Member

I was thinking about that, thank you for suggesting it. I do like to get a crunch out of the amp then run an Overdrive in front of it, so I reckon I'll need to push fairly hard to get it to crunch territory. I play Space Rock/ Stoner Rock and metal. So being non MV, I was wondering if it could do it.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

If you've been after one and there is a good deal on the go you should probably get it.
    If it and/or the attenuator doesn't satisfy you can always get the mod done.
    BP

5. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

I have a late series [more gain] JMP 1987 clone with an PPIMV added to it and it crunches up well.

Russ

Mitchell Pearrow and Tombwibble like this.
  6. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

The NMV 50 JMP is a loud amp particularly through the contemporary 4x12. You can get decent tones with a pedal or two and a smaller cab but ideally you need an attenuator, or if you are short of cash you can add a reversible mod with a PPIMV to get into crunch territory.
    You will get ten different suggestions regarding which attenuator to buy but choice will depend on where you live and how much you want to pay.
    Ps what cab have you got?

7. Tombwibble

Tombwibble Member

Thank you for your response. I have a Greenbacks 4x12 and a 1936 2x12, I use my dsl without an attenuator.

8. FogDweller

FogDweller Member

I have a 1976 non-MV JMP 50 watt and wasn’t often able to crank it up to get a good dirt sound. I recently bought a Marshall Power Brake and it’s made it much more enjoyable to own. It rocks. But yes, if you don’t have an attenuator you’ll have to use an OD or distortion pedal ... or crank it up if you’re able.

Mitchell Pearrow and wntbtw like this.
  9. bad565ss

bad565ss Well-Known Member

Use the low inputs with pedals.

10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

You have some options, get an attenuator, install a ppimv, add some gain mods like a one wire mod, add an effects loop and run a master volume box in it, run some distortion pedals out front to get your dirt. If you got a good deal just buy it and you can figure how youre gonna play it later. Good luck! :yesway:

BanditPanda and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

I can’t recommend the jet city jettenuator enough , works really well and not expensive. I do also have a torpedo reload to compare it against so I’m not making a ‘ blind ‘ comment.