Marshall Jcm800 2210 Advice

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Joeballz, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Joeballz

Joeballz Member

Just picked up a 1987 JCM800 2210. It sounds decent but I want to have it checked out to make sure everything’s up to par by my tech. But before I bring him it I was wondering from anyone here who’s owned one if there’s any advice they want to give me. Do these amps hold up pretty well or is there anything that might need replacing by this point? To my knowledge the amp is original except for the tubes and a upgraded reverb tank. I’ve read that sometimes the filter caps might need replacing. I like the amp and would love to keep it for many years so just trying to get it sounding as good as it can. I might have the tubes changed also just to freshen it up so recommend me some and I’ll look into them. I’ve been told that Tung Sol 12ax7 and Tung Sol EL34B are a great choice for this amp.

2. Barfly

Barfly Well-Known Member

I think mine had the caps replaced years back. . . as well as the tranny (it blew up while recording an album in a studio.) Mine is a 1988 2210. I can't say it's not rugged. I was a pro musician in my early rocking days so it took a licking' and mostly kept on ticking. I don't use tung sol but couldn't tell you at this point what pre tubes I have in there. They were recommended by the guy I bought tubes from. I have ruby EL34-BSTR's in there that I am extremely happy with.

3. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

My 87 2205 had issue with the boost channel not boosting. The gain and volume were a fraction what they sould have been, and the normal channel was way louder. I reflowed all the connections were the pots are soldered to the board and the boost channel came back to life. I'm not sure exactly which pot was the culprit, but it was one of them. I haven't had an Issue since.

If your tech has the amp out of the headbox I would have him touch up them joints. I 2nd the Ruby El34b strs. I have them in a few amps now, including my 2205, and they're great tubes and fairly cheap...2205/2210s are great amps btw.

4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Filter Caps and tubes for amp 15-20+ years old is pretty routine.
    The coupling caps are not usually changed, unless one goes actually bad. These coupling caps can last indefinitely.

I would change the jacks in a 2210 just because of age.

Tung sol is good, and you can try all different ones. Preamp tubes are 31 flavors, you need to taste them all.

5. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

Hey Gunner, if you're a fan of the Ruby BSTRs, try some BHTs next time. I think their even better....more low end and 'umph'...with allot of detail. Their my favorites right now. One of these days I have to try some TAD EL-34Bs...I have yet to try them.

6. Joeballz

Joeballz Member

I’ll have to consider the Ruby’s. There very price friendly. Just not sure which to go with. They seem to have quite a few models of 12ax7 and EL34. I play mostly rock to metal.

7. stilllifer

stilllifer Active Member

I have an ‘89 2210 and it’s killer. Had my amp tech give it the once over and nothing to replace, although the caps had already been done. Biased it up with some Tesla El34M’s and they are great. One important thing I found is to put a good old Millard/Rogers 12AX7 in V1. That really tightens up the amp and allows you crank the gain and maintain that girth. It’s a killer amp!