Marshall JCM 900 Cab

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by wegman, Dec 12, 2009.

1. wegman

wegman Member

Not far frome the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field
    I have a Marshall JCM 900 Lead 1960 cab and I was just wondering how good it is?

Anyone care to voice an opinion and let me know if it is decent or not?

Thanks

2. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member VIP Member

My opinion is that it is one of the most beautiful looking cabs but I am not happy with the sound design. Especially with 75 watt celstions. I have taken speakers out of better sounding cabs and loaded them into the 1960A. Though it improved the sound of the 1960A cab, it was not an improvment over the original cab loaded with the same speakers.

I am loyal to Marshall Tube Amplification but think the cabs could use some work.

Here is a video about the 1960 cab that may help you out.

I skip the GARDEN HOSE step. Good Luck, David.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mze7-zhkx-4[/ame]

David C. Hopkins on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

3. wegman

wegman Member

Cool thanks man.

4. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

That video has been on this forum many times. Here is the link to the most recent one. As you will see, it was met with much ridicule.

http://www.marshallforum.com/cabinets-speakers/10050-can-tone-secrets.html

I do a lot of cab work and I did a 900 with an X pattern of Eminence Texas Heat's and Governor's. It kicked ass. This is just a suggestion and gives you an option over using Celestions. The main thing is to keep an open mind and realize that there are a variety of killer guitar speakers.

5. wegman

wegman Member

If I have to go changing speakers then the cab is just mediocre at best eh?

There is no way I am going to go ripping into my cabinet like that video. Not only will it not sound better it probably won't work after I am done.

A man has to know his limitations.

6. underliner6

underliner6 New Member

I feel the 1960 cabs are the best cabinents around!

7. MartyStrat54

Hey WEG, you do have G12-75's in there, correct? If so, they have sort of a love-hate acceptance here on the forum.

8. wegman

wegman Member

I have no idea whats in it. Is it easy for me to look?

9. NewReligion

Sorry about the Video. I am kind of new here too. I didn't agree with everything ole Bob had to say but I thought some of it might get through. I guess we all can't be know it alls, LOL.

10. wegman

wegman Member

No worries man. Your trying to help and I appreciate that. I am sure some of that stuff does work.

The thing is I am not a hands on guy when it comes to this stuff. Biasing my amp scares the Hell out of me and tearing into my cab is also a recipe for disaster.

Rolling tubes is the extent of my technical amp involvement.

11. MartyStrat54

Yeah, I would take the back off and check. Who knows, you may have the holy grail of speakers in there. Anyway, it would be a good time to snug up all of the screws.

12. wegman

wegman Member

I will take it apart and check.

13. NewReligion

Wegman, don't sweat biasing. It is something you need to learn to do.

Once you understand what is going on you will figure out why all of the Pro's amps sound so damned good and offten don't need pushed with an OD pedal. I know enough to keep my Marshalls sounding tip top but not nearly as much as some of these guys do. However I can play and that is where I focus. I push the amps harder, sometimes much harder than most techs and forums would ever advise. It's all about the tone. Nothing sucks worse than playing over a cold biased amp.

Wow, I bet I get jumped on by the tech guru's for that statement, LOL.

WWW.Myspace.com/DavidcHopkins

14. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

For the speakers, the JCM900 cabs came with G12T-75s. Not bad speakers but they tend to scoop out the mids. They sound great in combination with a V30. In my cab, I combined them with a pair of Celestion Century speakers.

For metal styles or when you want a lot of solid bottom end (think SRV), they're good but for blusier styles, you definitely need to combine them with a speakers that have more mids.

15. MartyStrat54

Thanks, I thought they had G12-75's. As I said, some people love them and some people have to mix V30's with them in the cab. I'm with you. I think they are a little thin in the mid department.

16. Adwex

Adwex New Member

I swapped out three of my G12T-75s with a pair of Greenback G12M-25s, and one G12H-30 Heritage. Nothing really wrong with the cab, but you may also want to upgrade the speakers.

17. Wilder Amplification

Wilder Amplification New Member

No it is NOT all about the tone. There is an electrical design limit to these things...and yes I see that you stated that you did put the disclaimer in there and state that you run yours hotter than safely adviseable. That's your thing...you do what you want. You know the risks involved.

However, saying things like "It's all about the tone" on a message board full of guitarists who have no clue as to what bias even is gets them thinking "Well if he's doing it and getting that badass of a sound I'm gonna do it too", while not realizing that there is in fact an electrical limit and that there are in fact risks involved with it.

Now I know that you're aware of the risks involved, but I just thought I'd add this for those who aren't -

Amplifiers have electrical design limits that should be respected and adhered by. Bias setting is one of them. If one should decide to exceed these limits, then be ready to suffer the consequences should you happen to blow something expensive.

Just because a particular practice sounds cool doesn't mean it's good for the amp.

18. Wilder Amplification

Wilder Amplification New Member

No it is NOT all about the tone. There is an electrical design limit to these things...and yes I see that you stated that you did put the disclaimer in there and state that you run yours hotter than safely adviseable. That's your thing...you do what you want. You know the risks involved.

However, saying things like "It's all about the tone" on a message board full of guitarists who have no clue as to what bias even is gets them thinking "Well if he's doing it and getting that badass of a sound I'm gonna do it too", while not realizing that there is in fact an electrical limit and that there are in fact risks involved with it.

Now I know that you're aware of the risks involved, but I just thought I'd add this for those who aren't -

Amplifiers have electrical design limits that should be respected and adhered by. Bias setting is one of them. If one should decide to exceed these limits, then be ready to suffer the consequences should you happen to blow something expensive.

Just because a particular practice sounds cool doesn't mean it's good for the amp.

19. NewReligion

Of course safety matters. I didn'y say set the damned thing on fire. I have owned over 60 heads over the last 38 years and have never destroyed one of them. Thank God for guys like Edward Van Halen who knew enough to be safe but know what he was after. Go ahead and tell him it's not all about the tone. SAFETY first!! This is not a pissing contest. I have been on this thread long enough to know that there are a couple of guys that feel they must always have the last word. Sounds as if I touched a nerve. Please post some examples of your fine playing and tones. Best wishes

David

David C. Hopkins on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

20. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

I guess that what NewReligion is trying to say is that doing something like cranking your amp to 10 is not recommended because you're going way over the limits of what the amp was designed for but a lot of people do it anyways. A 50w amp will push out much more than 50w when cranked into power tube distortion. He did say to keep the gear in good operating condition though.

Just like pushing speakers into distortion can sound great.

By doing this kinda stuff, you're running the risk of blowing speakers (if you're running a 100w head through a 100w cab) or blowing your amp.

Hendrix used to blow stuff up all the time. Things got better with the G12H-30. It could handle the abuse a little better. Remember, when Hendrix started out, the most powerful Celestion was the 25w greenback. Doing what he did today would be just plain stupid IMO.

Just use your common sense.

The original poster has a 300w cab, so I wouldn't be too worried about the speaker rating. Going to a set of g12H speaker would give him a 120w cab, which should be fine with a 100w amp (but I've heard of people blowing those with a cranked 100 watter).