Marshall in a box for er... a Marshall!

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Dave J, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Dave J

Dave J New Member

Been trying to dial in my DSL40CR at home. Home is a single family home not an apartment and I do get to play louder than the stereotypical bedroom player ( when the wife is not home!) Per my free db meter iphone app I go up to around 90 db. Not loud at all but not the kid in the bedroom trying to not piss off mom and dad either.
    Still not in the sweet spot for the amp. Considered the C19 mod, and am adding a 1x12 ext cab with some kind of speaker to make it a little less harsh at my available levels of volume. Then as a semi - afterthought I stuck my Plexi Drive deluxe in front, on the clean side of the classic channel. It actually sounds pretty nice. I didn't get a lot of time to dial it in, but first impressions are that I can get a good Marshall sound without the less than desirable harshness that comes with this amp when not turned up a good bit. It would also save the C19 for when I can let it loose. By many accounts that I have read the C19 is a good thing when the amp is cranking hard.
    The other plus with this setup is that I can avoid the volume difference when switching between classic green and Red. I can use clean green, then bump it with the Plexi Drive. I think it adds options across all channels. the purist in me hesitated liking this, but if it's okay for a Jubilee to have a clipping diode then this can't be too un kosher, eh? I have considered actually looking into a modeller like Kemper, Fractal, etc to solve the volume vs tone dilemma, a Plexi Drive is still way more pure than that too LOL
    I might also try my Brute drive but I think that would drift farther from home re: solid Marshall rock tones. No harm in trying though. I initally got the Plexi Drive to get British with a Fender, and it did a nice job of simulating a Marshall, but dang does it seem right at home in front of a Marshall.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Congratulations on getting your low volume dilemma sorted out.
    Cheers to many healthy hours just jamming away.
    Mitch

marshalltsl likes this.
  3. Kostas

Kostas Member

If you can afford a Kemper, go for it. It has more amps, effects and cabs that you'll ever need, it sounds the same either on low or high volume and it feels good on hand. It has dynamics, it's not lifeless. The layout is a lot like an amp, I find it much easier than Fractal & Line 6. The powered version is what I'd get, all in one with the cab of your choice.

On the other hand, there are too many good pedals available. A good clean platform and one or more pedals are less expensive than a Kemper.

4. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

Found the CR very usable pretty much across the volume levels. The pre & res help really dial in or out things. Liked it so much, hacked it up into a head & recorded 10 song CD with it.

Also had a 100h modded all up...so i could compare & they are very similar...Marshall did good with these.never even tried a pedal in it...it was all just there. On CR ,masters were always dimed & prob the channel volume also. Ultra chan gain doesn't need to go up high..it's got nice lead & crunch in it. Classic green side OD's nice , nice tight crunch & cleaned up with guitar vol.

Simple clean pedal can compensate the dif & actual fill out the clean tone nicely. Never used that chan for the clean. Ran green & backed off guitar vol. But did try LP1 to see..simple bump & they were even but filled out a bit better for chords.

5. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Um , attenuator ?

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  6. Ufoscorpion

Or eq in the loop with level backed down .

7. Ufoscorpion

Or both . Which is my preferred method as you can also use the eq to compensate for any loss .

8. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

If not for the statement in the OP that the amp is the 40CR, I could swear you are referring to a DSL40C!
    I have the 40CR and harsh is a word I would never use to describe the tone of any channel, at any volume.
    The onboard EQ should be able to dial in or out any adjustment needed to find a sweet tone.
    As of yet there is no schematic and therefore no confirmation of a C19. So this is not yet a mod for the 40CR, and it does not need it. The 40C often does.
    The simple fix for the Clean - Crunch volume mismatch is using the 2 Master Volumes on the 40CR to assign the needed volume correction. Something the 40C is incapable of.
    If you have an OD you are happy with (Plexi Drive Deluxe) then that can be used as a clean boost for stepping up channel volumes to lead levels instead of the MVs.

9. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Have you tried handing out earplugs to the family members and telling them to deal with it? :D

10. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Or...the 80's

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 2:48 AM
  11. solarburnDSL50

Also an inexpensive Bad Monkey into the DSL40's green clean channel sounds as Marshall as can be. My Tele that coil splits and only toggling pups here and there. Same channel and pedal all the way through. Coil split(single coil)from 4:34 on. With the chitty 70/80 speaker too.

Or V1 TOD pedal into green clean again...wah.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 3:30 AM
    Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  12. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Also, that guy in the 2nd LPD vid (above) takes the prize for the most wraps around a tuning post with that Jake E Lee Charvel!

13. solarburnDSL50

:lol:

SkyMonkey likes this.
  14. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

It sounds like you have it covered. For filling out my Marshalls with pedals, I find A Boss OD-3 Is a great amp-like, drive pedal. Also, to get a JCM800-like crunch, a Marshall Guv'nor has it built in.

Or, for $100 in parts, you can build our reactive attenuator (see Workbench) and crank up properly. Zero tone loss down to a few milliwatts and already tested with DSL40.

15. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Step 1: check and correct the bias.
    Step 2: roll some preamp tubes.
    Step 3: might need an EQ in the fx loop.

Anything beyond this, and you have the wrong amp. imo.