Marshall G15R CD - Reverb noise when tapping/moving amp or tapping floor - Normal?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Snaffs, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Snaffs

Snaffs New Member

Hi, my 1st post, so please be gentle if I'm asking something that's very obvious.
    It's totally new to me, but feel wrong, so I thought I would ask the experts to find out.

I have a, I presume, well used Marshall G15R CD Amp.
    All seem ok with it, apart from the far right dial, under MASTER called REVERB

With this all the way off, the amp is pretty quiet, very little background hum.
    However, when I turn this dial up, if the amp is moved just a fraction, tapped with your hand, rocked on the floor, or you knock the floor it's on, there is a wobbly reverb sound which comes from the amp, and takes about 10 seconds to settle down again.

The volume of this wobble/reverb noise is totally dependent on the setting of this REVERB dial.

Turning the Gain, or Volume dials up and down have zero affect on the volume level of this weird wobbly sound that, as I say takes about 10 seconds to die down.

I can't really believe this is normal, is it?

What could be causing this, and is there any way to fix it?

Please remember I'm very noob to all this, hence why I'm asking.

Many thanks

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Real spring reverb

Surprised?

3. Snaffs

Snaffs New Member

Thank you for the reply.
    As I say, I am totally new to this, other than in the last week learning snippets via YouTube about this subject.
    So, this amp has actual springs inside it?
    These wobble? and make electronic noise as they do, when the amp is tapped?

4. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Yup

Non-digital, actual spring reverb, which makes reverb-ey sounds if shaken/tapped/etc

JacksonCharvelAddict and Snaffs like this.
  5. Snaffs

Snaffs New Member

Ahhh, I see.
    I literally just managed to find a YouTube that showed springs.
    I will admit, I though there must be something not right, as I'd imagined someone playing, and perhaps the floor being knocked, and thus hearing this noise.
    I presume the sound of continual playing would normally mask this, shall we say by-product of the actual springs moving?

6. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Still, sounds a bit sensitive to me. My VS65R has a spring too but it takes a fair jolt to make it 'splash', and even then it takes only 3-4 seconds to die back.

Snaffs likes this.
  7. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

That's normal nothing wrong.
    Welcome to the forum Snaffs :cheers:.

Snaffs likes this.
  8. Snaffs

Snaffs New Member

Splash is a good sound.
    Honestly, when it 1st did that, I just though, oh, there is something loose/wrong internally.
    I might try and upload a video/audio tomorrow, just to get your views.
    See if you very clever and knowledgeable people feel it's perfectly as it should be, or it's a bit too much, and perhaps it could be... ummm, adjusted?

Right now, just from practicing A and D cords as a real beginner, my finger tips are suffering! ouch!

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  9. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Spring Reverb has always been that way. It's electro-mechanical and primitive.
    But if you buy a digital reverb pedal you can get around that....

Just keep playing and after a while you will settle into it.

10. Snaffs

Snaffs New Member

Bit of a weird question given this forum brand, so I hope I don't offend Marshall people by this question.

I understand the Marshall G15R CD Amp is a Solid State amp, which I know some are not amazing fans of, a matter of taste I guess.

A friend has an Orange Crush 20, also a Solid State amp.

Being a beginner, they do sound different, but I'm no judge of course.
    Is there an obvious statement to make about the difference/quality/sound/output of these two?

Are the both equal in different ways, of would be be regarded as far Superior to the other?

Thanks

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I have the 50 watt version of that amp. It was my first Marshall. I love the clean channel. Crank the volume past 5 and you have instant AC/DC crunch.

Snaffs and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum new MF’r
    your reverb is fine that is how a spring reverb behaves, the orange vs Marshall is just a preference
    only your ears can decide, but both are fine amps!!
    Cheers Mitch

Snaffs likes this.
  13. Snaffs

Snaffs New Member

Thank you for the kind welcome, and also the reassurance all is fine with the amp.
    Out of curiosity I took it apart this evening, and checked inside. Looked nice and clean.
    Clipped off the curved plastic cover to check the two springs, and they all look nice and clean.
    If you did not know anything about age, or the circuity more resembling a 1970's radio (chunky components) you would think it was new in there.

Checked and tightened screws, and had a good clean. Whilst the electric unit it out, I'm giving the cabinet a good clean. Dust and few marks, away with an old toothbrush :)
    When done, some silicon polish will make the black really shine.
    May give the inside a dust of fresh black spray to clean it up.
    Only marks are a few light scuffs on the plastic corner protectors, but having seen the price, I think I'll skip replacing those.
    And yes, I know none of this matters, but my OCD just likes things to look new, clean and fresh :)