Marshall Edge Of Cleans

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by JKrauland, Oct 18, 2016.

1. JKrauland

JKrauland New Member

So i'm thinking of buying my first marshall amp. Ive been reading about these amps for the last few months and what I want out of these beasts is that edge of clean sound. Where if you play a single note it comes out clean but when you play a chord it dirties up. The amps i'm looking at are the jtm 45 or 45/100, 1959slp, or the 2555 jubilee. How loud can these amps get while staying clean, it needs to be loud enough to play in a band. Any tricks to achieve that are also welcome, thanks a lot.

2. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

All those should get bloody loud while still clean, you can hear good clean plexi tone at high volumes on numerous Hendrix clips

Metroman and blues_n_cues like this.
  3. Wildeman

4. Wildeman

I would say SLP reish out of those, based on this. I have a 900 dual reverb that gets real good clean, edge of breakup tone imo, maybe check one out if you can.

krudler likes this.
  5. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Non MV amps do that best, but there are MV amps that can get there to some degree. I personally wouldn't associate a jubilee with that type of tone. As for how loud they can get and remain fairly clean, the 1987 RI or 1959 RI do a great job, but they'll be loud as hell without an attenuator.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  6. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Try out a 2555X , clean channel ,turn the volume up and watch and hear it peel paint off the walls ,and it hits like a sledgehammer

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  7. Welly 1987

Welly 1987 New Member

Hi there! I was in a similar situation as you a few months back and I went with the 2555x (aka) Jubilee reissue. As far as the JTM45 goes it's a great great clean sounding amp and will break up eventually if you crank it! But it doesn't have as much headroom as the 1959slp or 2555x in my opinion and will be drowned out at higher volumes! The 1959slp is a classic for breaking up when cranked and you could easily get it on the verge but like the 2555x it is deafening loud to use without attenuation! I cannot stress this enough! If your after those tones akin to Hendrix or bands like The Rolling Stones it's a fantastic amp! Stick a drive in front of it or crank it and you have the original classic rock sound, one of the best! (I know you want cleans but it's worth talking about!) sticks some pedals in front of it and you have a very versatile amp and as far as volume goes you will be heard make no mistake however, it will eventually sound overdriven because the tubes are pushing the amp harder. Now the 2555x! I own one of these and it's by far the best I've every played and I mean it! The clean is absolutely lush but if you push it to breakup slightly it will make your chords sound phat! Again I know you are talking about cleans but this is worth saying. This amp is incredibly versatile with pedals, you can play anything with it! R&B, Soul, Reggae, Jazz, Indie you name it! It's a machine build for tone chasing and tone heaven! Channel two has the best lead sound money can buy imo! You can play classic rock, hard rock, fusion and loads of heavy metal! The JTM is probably the most polite of the three, followed by the Jubilee then the SLP but as I said before the latter WILL need attenuation for practice and rehearsals! Additionally you really need to think about the frequencies you want more of and have an example of what you want to sound like! Hope this helped!

BanditPanda and Jethro Rocker like this.
  8. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

all of the above plus the Astoria series if you can stand looking @ them.lol

9. JKrauland

JKrauland New Member

Thanks guys. So it's looking like the jubilee or 1959slp. If any of you have listened to john frusciante that's sort of what I'm going for. Slightly dirty but not overdriven. I know he uses a jubilee and a major for volume. I was just wondering about the jtm and 1959 because I've been told older Marshalls have better cleans.

10. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

The nice thing is the gain control on the 2555. You can have the volume down some and break up more by increasing the gain a touch. It doesn't HAVE to peel paint!!

11. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with a jub, but a 1959? That's my suggestion.

12. Welly 1987

Welly 1987 New Member

[QUOTE If any of you have listened to john frusciante that's sort of what I'm going for[/QUOTE]

Well there's your answer! Jubilee, as far as I'm aware John uses a silver jubilee: not sure if it's the reissue or the original. But to my ears the reissue is the slightly better amp, just more tidy! The jubilee will spare your wallet more also. Good luck!

13. Welly 1987

Welly 1987 New Member

[QUOTE If any of you have listened to john frusciante that's sort of what I'm going for[/QUOTE]

Well there's your answer! Jubilee, as far as I'm aware John uses a silver jubilee as you said: not sure if it's the reissue or the original. But to my ears the reissue is the slightly better amp, just more tidy! The jubilee will spare your wallet more also. To my ears the Jubilee has the nicest clean of all Marshalls and is the best they've made of course I'm slightly bias and it's all subjective. The clean on the jube is much kinder and more mellow to my ears but breaks up very nicely! Good luck!

14. Wildeman

Well there's your answer! Jubilee, as far as I'm aware John uses a silver jubilee as you said: not sure if it's the reissue or the original. But to my ears the reissue is the slightly better amp, just more tidy! The jubilee will spare your wallet more also. To my ears the Jubilee has the nicest clean of all Marshalls and is the best they've made of course I'm slightly bias and it's all subjective. The clean on the jube is much kinder and more mellow to my ears but breaks up very nicely! Good luck![/QUOTE]
    Shoot sounds like i need to check one out, kinda lookin for a mid size combo myself.

15. JKrauland

JKrauland New Member

Alright thanks a lot guys, I think I'll go jubilee:cheers:

16. marshallmellowed

17. marshallmellowed

18. JKrauland

JKrauland New Member

Interesting... you would say the jubilee is cleaner than a 1959? Usually I associate older marshalls with having more clean headroom and over time they have become gain machines. Im not sure though, never played any of them. And I definitely intend to use distortion pedals and wah on these amps, I love me some ds-2 goodness. But I'd like to have that versatility and not only being able to play with tons of gain. That's really what I was wondering was if these amps could stay clean and get above a drummer?

19. Wildeman

Dude, i have played a plexi and it stayed clean till it was painful. I dont know what kinda drummer you talkin about but these are 100 watt Marshalls im talkin about, clean headroom is no issue whatsoever. Check out the Dual reverbs, two channels, one clean,one dirty, works for me.

krudler likes this.
  20. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member