Marshall ecc83 jj

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Sg-ocaster, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Member

I want to get a set of spares for my lil dsl15. (Well v2-v4 anyway)The stock tubes are a silver plate jj short plate ecc83 ax7...i can't seem to find them anywhere. Are they the same as the normal greyplate jj e83cc??? Obviously the Marshall's are pre screened would a tad or gt be the same tonaly?

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

You have a choice of different gain levels etc.
    https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/Marshall-DSL-15-c191.htm

The tubes Marshall uses : whatever are available.
    They do not have any special screening, other than standard testing.

Vacuum tubes have very wide variations. There is no assurance that tubes you buy will sound exactly the same.

You can also buy Marshall branded tubes. But, the same thing. They are not all exactly the same.

Vacuum tubes are not tested for "tone."
    Tone or sound quality is subjective.

The best way is to buy several different tubes, and try them all.
    Pick your own favorites.

No
    you are not required to buy factory brand tubes.
    And a lot of players will tell you that factory brand is a waste of money.
    And, I definitely agree with this.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  3. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

Get spares so you have them on hand. But selecting tubes as one would "tube rolling" involves more than just ordering tubes. As ampmadscientist already pointed out, you don't know what any tube you get will sound like in your amp until you try them. And it takes several tubes if not many to be a true tube roller.

You can get nit-picky about it and it involves time and money.

Get some new ones (made today) and then get some vintage ones so you can see what each does for your amp. By experimenting is the only way you'll learn.

But do note that new tubes being sold at discount are more than not factory rejects that someone bought up to sell to noobs.

Tube sellers who have vast stocks and fine testing equipment are good sources for a better tube simply because they test and grade each tube, mark them and record the test results on the boxes. Sometimes the tubes in the case of NOS tubes come in the original boxes. If not it will be a new generic tube box with no graphics.

12ax7 telefunken - Copy.png

12ax7 7025 mullard - Copy.png

As some techs who buy cases of tubes for their repair shop find out that some of the modern tubes do not last so they are on the lookout for a reliable tube without going into the boutique end of things for their customers. It's not like things were in the mid-20th where the tubes were well made before they all closed down and sold their machines off to those making them now.

Minus key process machines left out of the equation.:hmm:

4. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Member

Double post

5. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Member

Oh trust me I have an ammo can full of nos and tested vintage ax7s. Mostly USA and few mules...its just after rolling I found a v1 tube but preferred the stockers for the rest and wanted to pickup 3 spares. I get no two tubes sound alike was just wondering if the silver plate was the same tube as the greyplate jj e83cc. I haven't used many new production so I'm not really aware of the variances.
    Was surprised I liked the factory tubes more than my 5star ge shortplates in this amp. Wish I still had some Tele flat plates ecc83s but they are expensive now. He'll some rfts would be nice but even they are becoming stupid.

6. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

It never goes the way you think.

Every circuit is different and a bunch of tubes sitting in any circuit all react differently.

It's about if you like the results vs what tube you have where.

The ears get to decide.

Saving grace is you have backup tubes to get your amp functioning even if you don't achieve maximum sonics off the bat.

If the amp were driven hard 4 hours daily would the 5 Stars "shine?"

Pro tours would cook amps before the show, one to see if they'd fail and to generally heat them up letting them run hours until show time to get that sweet tone.

A bird in hand...

[​IMG]