Marshall Dsl40cr No Sound

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by dmh3135, Mar 13, 2019.

1. dmh3135

dmh3135 New Member

Hello all

First time Marshall owner. I just purchased a DSL40CR second hand. I played it in front of the seller and everything was working and sounded great. I played it a bit more downstairs before moving it to its new home and no issues. I planned on splitting my guitar out to that amp and my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I used my Fender PT100 tuner with the HRD in Output 1 and the DSL in Output two so that stomping the tuner would switch between both amps or one. It worked until I hit my Boss RC1 looper from my pedal chain and ever since my DSL has no sound.

I have plugged my guitar directly into the amp, turned up the gains/volumes on both channels and both masters, toggled between channels, toggled between masters and still nothing. It turns on, all the lights work and the channels clearly change. The tubes are glowing so I assume they're fine and the amp is still fairly new. When the amp turns on, there is literally no sound coming out at all, just pure silence.

What could be causing this and what have I missed? Do I need to take this to a repair shop or is there something simple?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

First off welcome to the forum, 2’nd take a known good preamp tube and try it in each position, if it comes back to normal then you are good to go, sometimes the pres will glow but not be working, if this doesn’t fix it then you are correct take it in for a check up! Cheers Mitch

3. dmh3135

dmh3135 New Member

Just swapped all three preamp tubes with three 12AX7s from my Fender that I know were working and still nothing. What could possibly cause it to be working fine and then just go completely silent?

4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

That I cannot answer, mine are the older. Dsl40c’s, the only time it happened to me, it was a preamp tube!

5. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

Two things off the top of my head. Make sure a speaker lead didnt come off and clean the fx loop send and return with contact cleaner and a patch cable. If you dont have contact cleaner you can dunk the patch cable end into some rubbing alcohol but not dripping wet and work it in and out of both send and return. Also plug your guitar directly into the return and see if you get any sound.

6. steveb63

steveb63 Active Member

One of those outputs on the tuner is muted?

7. steveb63

steveb63 Active Member

Won't split signal?
    I have the same tuner box.

8. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

9. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

try pushing the FX Loop switch off and then back on.

10. dmh3135

dmh3135 New Member

Speaker leads look like they’re connected. I have the other end in the 1x16 ohm input. I wasn’t using the FX loop before but did try plugging into the return channel and still got nothing.

Attached Files:

11. dmh3135

dmh3135 New Member

Are the only fuses the tiny little ones on the circuit board? They all appeared intact when I pulled it out yesterday. Do you know what kind of fuses they are and I can try to buy more and just replace them in case?

12. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

If there is no sound when you plug an audio source into the return loop then there is a chance it's power tubes. If you get sound through the return then one of the preamp tubes might be blown.

I often send modeling sim audio from my computer to my return on my DSL, it bypasses the input and preamp stages and goes direct to the power amp.

13. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Active Member

Sorry to point out something obvious but for the first few times I turned my DSL40CR on I thought there was a fault too. Kept forgetting to switch the standby rocker to LOW or HIGH! Are you getting anything out of the Emulated Out?

Antmax and walshb like this.
  14. dmh3135

dmh3135 New Member

What is the emulated out?

15. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Active Member

On the back panel there is a jack labelled Emulated Out. Here is the quote from the manual:

"Emulated line level output for headphones or connection to a mixer. The DSL is equipped with a high quality emulated output using Softube-designed studio cabinet emulation. This ensures that your headphone and output signal from this socket provide the best possible tone for practice or recording.
    Note: Using EMULATED OUT does not omit the need for a speaker load to be connected to the amplifier.
    Note: For silent recording via EMULATED OUT set the OUTPUT switch to STB"

So what it is saying is that the E/Out is a direct inject for headphones, recording or P.A.
    The E/Out should work even when the amp is in STB (standby) with the black standby rocker switch in the centre position, i.e. no sound from the speaker, but with sound from the E/Out for quiet practice.

This is (as far as I can tell) the order of the signal chain is for the DSL40CR:

Input - Channel gains - Channel volumes - EQ & Tone Shift - FX send – FX return - Reverbs - E/Out - Presence & Resonance - Master volumes - Speaker(s)

Therefore the Presence, Resonance, and Master volumes have no effect on the sound from the E/Out.

People have reported mixed results with the quality of the E/Out, so don't expect too much. But if you get a sound out of it, it may help pin down where your problem is.

16. dmh3135

dmh3135 New Member

No sound when plugged directly into the emulated out.

17. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Active Member

Sorry to be pedantic, but you do mean through headphones dmh3135?

If you are getting nothing from the E/Out then I am guessing it is not a problem with the power tubes, as they are after the preamp tubes in the signal chain. To my knowledge there are 4 preamp ECC83 tubes in the DSL40CR. Have you located and changed out the metal sleeved tube (phase inverter?).

18. Dogs of Doom

is the amp powering up? Anything lighting up?

if not, check this one:

upload_2019-3-16_19-37-2.png

also, check the fuses you do have for continuity, w/ a multi-meter...

(edit) I just re-read the OP & realize you said it lights up...

19. Dogs of Doom

you're down to a couple options:

1. take a bunch of well lit, sharp images of the pc board & post them, using a decent image host, like imgur, etc.

2. take it to a tech...

20. dmh3135

dmh3135 New Member

https://imgur.com/a/PTi2YwwHere are pictures of the board, fuses and the tubes lighting up. Let me know if you need other pics. It does power on and I am just baffled.