Marshall DSL20 aux in problem.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bisbatron, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Bisbatron

Bisbatron New Member

So I recently bought a DSL20 and had a big problem, the aux in was way way too quiet. I'd have whatever I was using for the backing tracks to come from at full volume and the guitar always massively drowned it out, at least 4 or 5 times louder.

I sent it back to Marshall who said it was working as intended now and while the aux in is louder than before, my guitar still drowns it out.

Any other amp I've used hasn't had this issue, if I have the aux in at full volume it always matches the sound of the guitar well so I can hear it properly and still play along.

I really don't want to send it back for a refund as I love the sound of the amp, but it's a big issue, any advice?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Len

Len Well-Known Member

What are you using at the Aux in, and what output type on that device are you using? It could be a signal level or impedance mismatch between your audio device and the amp.

3. Bisbatron

Bisbatron New Member

I've tried using my PC, laptop, and iphone. I've gone through all of the output options for my pc and laptop and it makes no difference. It's just far too quiet to play along to/with.

4. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Well the iPhone is a speaker output which isn’t meant for most Aux inputs.

5. Bisbatron

Bisbatron New Member

True, but why is the same issue occuring with my pc and laptop? I've been all the way through the realtek audio manager and everything is as hig volume wise as it can be.

6. Len

Len Well-Known Member

What are the outputs you are using on the PC and laptop? Headphone outputs?

I’d recommend looking at the amp Aux input specs as far as signal level and impedance, and compare it to the output specs of your audio devices.

7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I cannot help you with your dilemma,
    But I can welcome you to the forum :cheers: :band:
    Hope you get through this issue
    because you have a fine amp.
    Cheers Mitch

8. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

I realize this isn't a solution to your dilemma (or maybe it is), but I play my backing tracks through a powered PA speaker. That way, you can hook a mic up as well if you want. In addition, a PA speaker is a full-range speaker, whereas a guitar amp speaker is strictly a musical instrument speaker, not really ideal for playing music files through.

:hbang:

9. Bisbatron

Bisbatron New Member

I was tempted to use speakers, but then it's another purchase to make. I'll take a look at using speakers as an alternative, it would mean I get to keep the amp after all. Thanks.

10. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

It means that the level from the device is not enough to drive the amp aux in.
    Can you use a preamp?
    Audio out > clean boost in> clean Boost out> amp aux in
    Or audio out> mixer > mixer output> amp aux in

11. Bisbatron

Bisbatron New Member

WHat preamp would you recommend?

12. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

I gave up a long time ago and bought a PA system. When Carvin went belly up I got myself an awesome rig. I plug my MAC laptop into that and it’s awesome.

I had the same experience as the OP with Line 6 also. I like driving the volume on my amp well above bedroom and the route I took got me there where the backing tracks could keep up.

13. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

That is the same way my grandson does it we purchased a cheap 80 watt pa and it has worked wonders

Deerhunter1972 likes this.
  14. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

I use a single 15" Gemini powered speaker. I think it's like 300W or so. Most, or even all, of them also have a midrange and/or tweeter as well. You can get one that's more than adequate for about $200 or less. Mine was $279, but I got it on sale for $179. I also bought a little Bluetooth player; that's how I connect. If you do go the speaker route, make sure there's an auxiliary input, or Bluetooth, or a USB port. Many of them have all three.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gemini...wered-Speaker-with-Bluetooth-1500000002822.gc

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/me-jamming-to-backing-track.107655/

15. Deerhunter1972

Deerhunter1972 Active Member

I have had the DSL20HR for a while now. The Aux-in sucks on this amp, as is the case for all tube amps I have owned. On the other hand, I just bought a New Orange 35RT for $260 for at-home practice, and I can tell you first hand, the AUX-in works fantastic, especially with headphones. My experience has been Solid State amps are good for at least one thing...practicing at low volumes and for headphone use. When practicing with my DSL, I use a Marshall Stockwell for aux playback, and all is good!

16. bad565ss

bad565ss Well-Known Member

I use one of my P.A. powered speakers with my Samsung phone. You could also go into the mixer if you have one with a USB port.
    Your issue sure sounds like a line level issue.