Marshall DSL - Line Out?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by jensbrix, Sep 29, 2011.

1. jensbrix

jensbrix Active Member

Hi guys, I kinda miss a line out on my DSL, because the one in my Sovtek actually works pretty good and gives good results. Since i NEVER use the reverb footswitch jack, I thought it might be used for it, but look at the Sovtek schematic here:
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c42/JaguarNegro/mig_50h.jpg
    It seems pretty simple? Would I be able to apply this to my DSL, using the reverb footswitch jack?

:dude:

2. jensbrix

jensbrix Active Member

No one able to help?

3. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

We need Lane or Jon or someone similar to comment on this. Stand by, sometimes they aren't around for a few days, but someone will get to it. :)

4. jensbrix

jensbrix Active Member

Yeah I hope so, haven't had my soldering iron in my amp for almost a week, I'm getting really impatient haha :)

5. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

That line-out circuit is pretty simple, just tapping from the output tranny via a resistor. The resistor has a high value, so it doesn't change the load significantly. I cant see why there would be any problem with it, but youd have to keep the cab plugged in too.

Some line outs try to shape the tone to emulate a cab tone response, but this one does not.

My opinions only, im not an amp tech.

6. jensbrix

jensbrix Active Member

Exactly, which is why that line out gives good results when i use some cab simulation on my computer. I just want to know if its simple to utilize that unused jack for the line out, and how

7. Lowlife

Lowlife Well-Known Member

You could get a hotplate instead, that'll save you the trouble of hauling around a big ass cabinet, since it can act as load for your amp...and it comes with a line out.

Admitted, using your soldering iron is probably way cheaper, but then you have to use a cab or dummy load instead.

8. jensbrix

jensbrix Active Member

9. jensbrix

jensbrix Active Member

I tried removing R43 and R44, but it took away the reverb. Those are the only 2 things connected directly to the jack, would i make the amp think there was an "empty" jack if i ran both these components to ground?

Come on guys help me out ...

10. plexifier

plexifier Active Member

No.

I have no DSL mod experience but I've looked at this schematic:
    http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/jcm2-62-02.pdf

If the "JS8" jack in the above schematic is for the reverb, the jack is normally open (tip and sleeve not connected). Connecting the R43/R44 intersection to ground will turn off the reverb just like a foot switch would.

In order to use that jack for a DI, it looks like all you have to do is remove the wire from the jack's tip and shrink wrap or tape it.

11. D-Max

D-Max Member

Why mod the amp?

If you would like a line out as on the Sovtek, an external line out can be easily made (and used on other amps):

[​IMG]

With this one you can control the line out level.
    Use a 5K or 10K pot.
    If the signal is too hot or need a more refined control, insert a series resistor before the pot, something like 47K or so.