Marshall DSL emulated output to mixer and headphones

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by mahoney, Sep 3, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

That’s great yo hear, and the price of it is very reasonable. I know some folks might say here,...”but it’s a Behringer”,...

All the Behringer products have improved the last few years, so we’ll see.

I know for a fact that Behringers’ Bugera line has improved immensely since the quality problems it had back almost a decade ago.

tce63 and Deerhunter1972 like this.
  2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I have the same set up, you’re gonna love it! The only problem, imo, with the MX112R cab is the 70/80 speaker that comes stock in it.

I kept it for a while to see if it would sound better when broken in, but no dice. It has a very stinging high end, and is a bit sterile sounding.

I ended up changing it out for a G12M-65 Creamback and what a difference! Soooo much better than the 70/80.

[​IMG]

3. Sustainium

Sustainium Member

Looks great I’m already excited. I Neve read so much about the inferior speaker that I almost threw one on the amp order...lol.
    I’m going to run my pedal board through the head so I wasn’t sure if the speaker upgrade was necessary because I like heavy distortions most of the time. I also wasn’t sure which replacement speaker I’d like for this distorted sound. I’d like to hear your recommendations.

scozz, tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Looking at the Behringer HA400, it appears to be only a multi-out for a single input. So all it does is split the E/out signal 4 ways for 4 people to listen in at their preferred volume (no EQ). I don't see how this can improve tone at all. :scratch:

Please post your experience with it once it arrives.

scozz and tce63 like this.
  5. SkyMonkey

BTW @Sustainium, your posting privileges should open up soon, as you post more. Not sure of the figures though.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. Sustainium

Sustainium Member

Sure will, I’m curious also.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  7. Sustainium

Sustainium Member

Good to know, this post get me one closer.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  8. Deerhunter1972

Deerhunter1972 Active Member

I am running my DSL1HR through an Avatar Signature 112 with a Celestion G12T75 and it sounds amazing, especially plugged straight in and tube distortion! I also have an Avatar Vintage 212 with UK G12M Greenbacks that sounds great with it too, but not as good as the G12T75.

tce63 likes this.
  9. Deerhunter1972

Deerhunter1972 Active Member

I will second that. I have had a few of the Behringer pedals, and they sounded just as good as their Boss counterparts. I also use a $18 Behringer Ultra DI 400 straight into the PA in my Church band, which sounds just as good as any of the more expensive DI's. They have definitely upped their game.

scozz and tce63 like this.
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well I think you would be absolutely happy with either a Greenback or a Creamback. Those would definitely be my favorite two choices.

If you’re planning on using the cab ALWAYS for your Dsl1hr or other low wattage amps, I’d get the Greenback, (25watts). If you might use it for a higher wattage amp in the future, I’d say the Creamback, (65 watts).

Either one is a great choice!

SkyMonkey likes this.
  11. Sustainium

Sustainium Member

Thanks for the info, I will use the stock speaker for a bit before upgrading so I can hear the difference after replacement. Will 25 watt speaker handle a 20 watt tube head in case I want to use one in the future? Sounds logical but I’m not sure.

12. SkyMonkey

25W speaker for a 20W amp is probably not enough. Like @scozz recommended, get something closer to double the wattage you may envision needing in the future.

13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I kind of agree with @SkyMonkey, a 25 watt speaker is not the best choice for a 20 amp, especially a 20 watt Marshall! The thing that puzzles me about this opinion is the Marshall Mini Jubilee combo, It's 20 watts and it comes with a 25 watt Greenback.

Also, this combo has been around a few years now and I haven't heard or read about any problems with this amp/speaker combination. Sooooo,......I don't really know.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  14. SkyMonkey

I suppose on paper it should work.
    There is supposed to be a certain amount of leeway in the rating of speakers, but I have read often that the rating is only for a clean signal. Pushing a high gain setting on something like a DSL20 may spike well above the 20W rated output?
    Also it depends on what you intend to do with the amp.
    If it is a gigging tool, then for reliability, use at least double the wattage rating of the amp.
    I downrated the speaker wattage in my DSL40CR to a 60W G12 Century Vintage (-10W from the V Type), but I can't see me ever blowing it at the bedroom volumes I use. Also it runs parallel to the V Type reinstalled into a 112 cab.

scozz likes this.
  15. SkyMonkey

Also there is the heat generated by the coil. Short sessions with rest gaps will allow the heat to dissipate safely.
    Playing a 15 song set in short order may overheat the coils of a single speaker close to the same rating as the amp.

16. Sustainium

Sustainium Member

All great info, I’ll have to go with higher watt speaker then. I live next to a couple hundred acres of cornfield and set up in my pole barn during summer months. I can play as loud as I like and will pick up a larger head by spring to enjoy outside. Thanks for everyones advice so I buy the correct gear for my situation.

JAC and SkyMonkey like this.
  17. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're right about the rating,...being only for a clean signal. Measurements for ratings are always clean signals, that's one of the reasons why the Mini Jub speaker choice might be suspect.

I've always been told that a safe choice for speaker wattage to be at least 1-1/2 times the amps power rating, twice the amount would be preferable. I completely agree with you about gigging when considering speaker wattage.

A couple of years ago I was talking to a guy from Celestion, through email, about speaker wattage,... he told me not to get too hung up on speaker ratings, that they are rated lower than what they really can handle. I suppose to compensate for distorted/overdriven tones.

SkyMonkey and matttornado like this.
  18. Sustainium

Sustainium Member

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  19. Sustainium

Sustainium Member

CAA70699-2C57-40DE-AB35-60A62AF312F9.jpeg D329CBA3-43DE-4B0E-A794-D1D6073C9BDA.jpeg 78A5AF7A-F4B9-4B1D-B973-2F6E366309A6.jpeg
    Well I followed your advice...

SkyMonkey and scozz like this.
  20. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Great, I’m sure it sounds phenomenal! It’s a great combination, a Dsl and a Creamback!

How are you liking it so far? Keep in mind, the speaker needs some time to break-in to really sound optimal. And to really be broken in properly it needs a bit of volume,...so rock on buddy!! :thumb:

Congrats!