Marshall DSL emulated output to mixer and headphones

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by mahoney, Sep 3, 2019.

1. mahoney

mahoney New Member

Hi, I own a DSL 1 Cr that I like a lot, but I wish it would have better sound quality to practice late at night with pedals and headphones through emulated output.

I have read some people that it could work if I use a mixer from the emulated output and then the headphones.

I am considering this option. Please tell me your experiences and if it is worthwhile to invest in a cheap little mixer like Behringer Xenyx, T.mix micromix USB or Mackie 5 to get a decent sound from the amp.

Thank you!!

2. mahoney

mahoney New Member

Nobody?

3. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Sorry that no one has chimed in. Welcome to The Marshall Forum.

I have never owned the DSL1CR but I do have the DSL40CR.
    I do have to say that I have given up on the E-out on my DSL, it sounds awful. I do not use it for anything.

My recommendation would be to get a second hand multi-effects unit and set it up in 4 Cable Method configuration, then use the headphone out from the multi-effects.
    This is how mine is set up and the results are infinitely better than the DSL E-out.

4. SkyMonkey

I think the DSL E-outs are not going to be fixed by EQ-ing what is basically a very poor signal tone. EQ can enhance, but not necessarily fix tone.

If you already have some pedals, you could buy an even cheaper secondhand multi-effects unit (without an in-built loop) and just run that in the DSL loop and use the headphone out.

5. Deerhunter1972

Deerhunter1972 Active Member

Instead of spending the money on a mixer, get a Vox Amplug 2 for about $30. They have many flavors to choose from and sound phenomenal, and will suit your needs. The emulated out on the DSL's, and most valve amps suck for headphone sound quality.

Peter McAteer likes this.
  6. mahoney

mahoney New Member

Hi again from Spain. Thanks for your kind welcome and the replies! Well, I already have two Amplugs (One Nightrain 1st generation and another Classic Rock 2). They are great, but I tried using them in headphone socket and didn´t work. I usually put them at the end of the chain and sound really good for that purpose but I want to use the pre-amp gain for more realistic results with loop effects volume levels for solos for example (You know it is not the same boost before pre-amp, you get more gain, than boost pedal in the loop and then you get more volume)

Skymonkey, I didn´t understand very well what you mean with the multieffects. Do you mean not using the effects loop in the amp with pedals by using the headphone socket to hear the results but rather use the effects loop with the multieffects? But..then I couldn´t hear the real results from guitar-) low overdrive effects-)amp gain-) mod/delay/rv pedals through amp loop..

My goal is to practice the same setup that I use in rehearsals/live at night volumes with headphones. I read in this thread (maybe I should have continued that instead of create a new thread, sorry for that) http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/dsl-40cr-plus-headphones.105156/ that another guy with the same question had bought a t.mix mixer to use the amp emulated out and then headphones with good results. I have sent him a pm but he hasn´t replied yet.

Anyway, How can you use a multieffects unit with 4 cable method even if it hasn´t loop with DSL Loop? Sorry if I don´t understand you.

Thank you!!!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    SkyMonkey likes this.
  7. SkyMonkey

If you get a second hand multi-effects unit like a BOSS GT-8 you can run it in a mode referred to as the 4 Cable Method. It needs to be a multi-effect with its own loop built in and the ability to place the loop (sometimes called send/return or S/R) anywhere in the internal signal chain. Select a user patch and turn off the simulated pre-amps in the patch (and everything else to start with). Hook it up to your amp like this.

4-cable-method-gt-10[1].jpg

What this does is effectively place the pre-amp of the DSL in the signal chain instead of the simulated onboard pre-amp effects. So now you can place noise gates, compressors, overdrives, in-front of the DSL, and time based effects after the DSL pre-amp but before the DSL power amp. All of this can then be clearly heard through the headphones output from the multi-effects unit.

I am not too clear on how to achieve 'silent' practice with the DSL1CR, but from the manual it looks like you simply unplug the speaker with the unit OFF? (do check this out first)

The even cheaper alternative depends on what pedals you have.
    Place your OD etc. pedals before the amp. Then plug a cheap multi-effect like a ZOOM G1-FOUR into the send of the FX loop. Instead of reconnecting the ZOOM back into the return of the DSL, plug in your headphones to the ZOOM output. You can use just the ZOOM time based effects after the DSL pre-amp then and listen to the results in silence.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  8. mahoney

mahoney New Member

Thank you again for your detailed reply. I will try with some multieffects that already have at home.

For silent practice you must disconnect the cable from speaker. Otherwise you can hear it even when phones connected.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum new brother, I am no help here but the rest of the crew here will continue to do so!
    Cheers Mitch

10. slittlebob

slittlebob New Member

11. slittlebob

slittlebob New Member

Hello I was wondering this same thing, as long as you unplug the speaker whilst off then you can plug the headphones into the emulated output with no damage to the amp, right?

12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Everyone of my Marshalls has a sucky e/out, none of them are even close to usable.

I bought a Bugera G5 Infininum about 5 years ago on a whim. Musicians Friend had a open box one for $189, so I thought what the hell.

Well let me tell you what, besides this little 5 watt amp sounding great, it has a superb E/out! I mean it’s really good! So good that l’ve recorded with it and it sounds great.

Last year I recorded a cover of Comfortably Numb, (Pink Floyd), at home on a multitrack recorder,...and I used the e/out for two of the electric guitar parts! I was recorded them late at night with my wife sleeping in the room next door.

One of those guitar parts were the two solos, I used quite a bit of gain, delay and a touch of chorus. It came out great,...and totally silent except for the headphones.

Also I didn’t have to unplug anything,...the e/out works on standby.

Being able to do that alone is worth the price admission! :applause:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow, SkyMonkey and tce63 like this.
  13. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I agree. The Marshall e / headphone out sucks on all of the Marshall amps I have with it..DSL1hr, jmd-1, mg, avt all leave something to be desired...now my little Blackstar Ht1 rh..that little thing sounds massive through headphones, and is the reason I keep it.

14. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

The early DSL R's had this problem (among a few others). When did you get yours?

It's also possible that some of the more recent ones still have this problem too. I mean, it's just possible, that's all, not saying they do.

15. Sustainium

Sustainium Member

Headphone amp is the correct way to use the emulated out.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  16. SkyMonkey

Headphone amp?
    Is this a device between the DSL and your headphones?

scozz likes this.
  17. Sustainium

Sustainium Member

Yes it is, I talked to Sweetwater about headphones not working out of the emulated Line Output. Was told people don’t know how to use it and was directed to use a headphone amp. I bought this one...HA400 4-Ch Stereo Headphone Amp. I’m waiting on it to be delivered along with a DSL1HR and a MX112R Cabinet. I tried to provide a link to the product but don’t qualify to post links. I’ll know if it works soon.

Mitchell Pearrow, SkyMonkey and scozz like this.
  18. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

19. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I guess I’m a little thick, (and I don’t mean my body), it’s not clear to me how you use this. Do you plug a cable from the e-out to this device? Could it be that simple, or am I missing something?

I’d like to be able to use my e-out on my Dsl1hr.

tce63 likes this.
  20. Sustainium

Sustainium Member

That’s what I was told by Jim Masterson at SW, I ordered the HP Amp and a patch cord to direct connect to e-out on back of head. Jim said that is all there is to it. I’ll report back in a few days when my gear arrives to verify function.

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.