Marshall DSL 40cr bright cap

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by EC Strat, Jan 23, 2020.

1. EC Strat

EC Strat Member

So I have the new / updated version of this mighty amp. I kept having to keep the trebles at 9 o’clock and the presence on 10 and it still was ice pick. After a TON of online research some problem solving and a little luck I decided F*** it - you only live once and what can go wrong?? Best I could figure is the bright cap on the new DSL 40 cr is at C 73 for the ultra gain channel. It still has a 470 pf cap - I clipped it and put in a 100 pf. Mind you I wasn’t 100% sure that this was the right cap but was pretty sure. Only one way to find out!!

it didn’t go well I don’t think had the legs of rhe cap all the way through the board - took it to my amp tech and he tweaked it and got it working!

I’m here to say that it’s AWESOME now!! Able to fully dial in the tone stack and use the trebles and presence at 1-2 o’clock now and get a great scooped : brown tone. The tone shift sounds much better now too when it’s engaged bc the torn stack is set properly now.

it was 2 weeks of not knowing if it totally screwed up my amp or not but it ended well.

just wanted to share in case it helps someone else

2. FracStrat

FracStrat Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and EC Strat like this.
  3. EC Strat

EC Strat Member

Nice!! I was lucky to just get the 100 pf cap working - no way I could’ve done that

Mitchell Pearrow and FracStrat like this.
  4. FracStrat

FracStrat Well-Known Member

Hi BP !!