Marshall: Delivering The Goods

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by crossroadsnyc, Feb 14, 2019.

1. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

@crossroadsnyc hey NYC, i saw on a post you might of lived in mahatten,last gig we did before my wifes brain injury,was on Cherry on lower east side i think is the street, here is my cuz sittin on on bass for my friends band, we did a food & clothing drive in sept 2016 and set up in a playgound right between the big hihrise apartment..,great gig.. NYC always shows up and rocks with ya[ Manhattan-20160917-01008.jpg Manhattan-20160917-01018.jpg Manhattan-20160917-01007.jpg

2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

That’s interesting that you recommend WGS, I didn’t realize the Invader is a Greenback clone. I’ve got a WGS ET-65 in a Blackheart 1-12 cab, it sounds pretty good but it’s only 8 ohm and the Dsl1hr is 16 ohm only.

steveb63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

The "Greenback" of WGS is the Green Beret, the Invader is a 50W version of the Green Beret.
    Here's a nice review of the Invader in comparison to the Greenback and Green Beret - it's in German and written by the owner of the Tube-Town store, who also offers custom built cabs (TT cabs) and sells WGS speakers (and other brands). I guess, Google translate would work fine: https://www.tube-town.de/ttforum/index.php?topic=16349.0

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Moony, I did use google translate and was able to get the jist of the review. I had to do it in sections because it’s too many characters,....but it worked fine.

I’ll have to check out the Invader when I’m ready to buy a speaker for my Blackheart cab.

I do have one question though, does this guy also sell Celestions in addition to WGS, or just WGS?

tce63 likes this.
  5. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

scozz and tce63 like this.
  6. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Active Member

You haven’t tried this amp through this speaker—you are basing your opinion on a different amp, different circuit, different everything. It’s akin to me saying I hate snow tires on Jeeps because I tried them on my Ferrari.

And who cares what the ‘matching cab’ is? The beauty of a head is not only portability, it’s flexibility. I have 4 4x12s, 3 2x12s and a Thiele 1x12 w/an EV. Some like open back cabs for some situations—personally I don’t with Marshall’s but again, that’s the beauty of a head—you can choose your speakers based on your situation

I am assuming the combo here isn’t aimed at the gigging musician, which is prob why they chose the speaker they did. A 20w amp through even one 10” speaker is gonna be plenty loud for home use.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

I just went to the Sweetwater website to take a look, and this is what I found in the descriptions:

The Marshall JCM800 2203 is a certified beast — it’s the tone that defined heavy metal. The Studio Classic takes that incendiary tone and packs it into a 20-watt head. It conjures up everything from rich and full cleans to high-gain mayhem, but in an amp you can carry with one hand. The Studio Classic is loaded with all the player-friendly features you need, including a master volume, 3-band EQ with Presence control, preamp volume, effects loop, and DI output. You also get a power reduction circuit for attaining cranked-up tones without violating a noise ordinance. When you want JCM800 tone but aren’t rocking in an arena, reach for the Studio Classic — it delivers the goods.

Looks like we're on the same page :lol:

I had to dig deep for this one, but a great collaboration w/Halford sitting in w/Skid Row …

8. crossroadsnyc

Btw., I've watched a few ballgames there .. there are some ballers @ that court :yesway:

BftGibson and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. Crikey

Crikey Member

I wish it had an 8" speaker and a horn so it would fit in my murse then I might buy one or several. Lol

assaf110 likes this.
  10. crossroadsnyc

Crikey likes this.
  11. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

The Marshall JCM800 2203 is a certified beast — it’s the tone that defined heavy metal. — it delivers the goods.:agreed:

12. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

I think Steve is talking horseshit. They were already making the 2525x with a 12" Greenback for £100 less than the new Studio combos. They could have just used the same enclosure and speaker for the new amps and everyone would be happy. Who wouldn't want a 12" Greenback in a 20w Plexi combo over a cheap 10".
    A Marshall combo costing a grand should have a quality 12" speaker end of.
    Another option I would like to see is a 12" combo with NO speaker fitted. Then people who already have a raft of gear can fit what they like and keep the cost down. Instead they sell you a shit speaker you don't want that you then have to get rid of.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  13. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I have the combo and no issues with the 10! it sounds big anyways! I had the 50c origin before this one.

14. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

:agreed:

tce63 likes this.
  15. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Yeah I guess regardless of how the 10 sounds they DID already have these cabinets! Fill 'em with the new amps and go. And at less money yet. :scratch:

Georgiatec, tce63 and MarshallDog like this.
  16. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Exactly. I don't get their marketing strategy. (Most) Repeat customers will see the combo as a cop out and buy the head. People who want a combo thats value for money will either go for a DSL or Origin at half the price...or of course, the 2525x that looks a much more rounded package for less money. There's no doubt the Studio amps are great additions to the Marshall stable....but why do they always have to cock something up? :shrug:

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  17. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

The 2525 combo was exactly the same price when released as now the Studio combos. The latter one will be cheaper in one or two years.
    Regarding the cabs, they are all different and not the same measurements.
    Studio Vintage obviously different as the amp chassis is loaded with knobs on the upper side instead of the front, but Classic and 2525 are different too. Take a look at the measurements:
    https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/studio/sc20c
    https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/studio/2525c

A 10" speaker is not "cheap" because its 10". You can buy very expensive 10" speakers.
    If a 10" speaker in this particular very small cab sounds better than a 12", I would be happy to have a 10". Yes you can always use a 12" to 10" converter - maybe I'll buy such a thing for my Blackstar HT-5R MKII, which is very small too.

Selling a guitar amp combo without a speaker for the mass market will never happen - especially not, when you have to plug into a speaker to avoid damaging the amp when switching it on. You can order such things from boutique builders.

If you like the combo idea of the new Studio amps AND couldn't be happy unless you got at least one 12" speaker, then order a custom built bigger cab for a 12" speaker (or 2x12). That would be my recommendation.
    Every other guy will just purchase the head version and use it with his preferred cab.

As I've said, the 2525 combo is not new anymore aside the actual update on the faceplate. You can't compare its current price tag to the brand new Studio Vintage and Classic combos. If they are too expensive for you, then wait one or two years.
    The DSL or Origin are made in Vietnam and have already dropped in price, too. Soundwise they won't compete with the Studio amps and every guy who owns both will tell you that. You get what you pay for. And unless you are in the US, where Marshall amps - at least the UK made ones - are by far more expensive than in Europe, you can't complain about Marshall's price policy, they are really well priced. You can get a JVM410H for 1222 Euros - the DSL20HR is 369 Euros. Just compare to the offerings of Orange, Blackstar, Victory, Laney etc.. - Marshall amps ARE the bang for the buck here.

18. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Give me 12” or you buy 10” speaker cabs for use with your head...period!

19. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

I don't work for Marshall, but here are contact informations: https://marshall.com/about/contact-us