Marshall: Delivering The Goods

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by crossroadsnyc, Feb 14, 2019.

1. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

If you’re a girl....:rofl: Sorry just couldn’t resist!

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

That's cold bro LOL.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Well at least us girls don't have to worry to about being sexually harassed by the likes of you .

Jakeboy and steveb63 like this.
  4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I really like the Creamback, when I was shopping around for a speaker for this cab l narrowed it down to this speaker and a Greenback.

I really couldn’t decide which one. I was going to use this cab, and did for a while, with my Dsl1 head. So I ended up talking to a guy from Celestion for some guidance. I wasn’t sure a 1watt head could drive a 65 watt speaker efficiently.

He suggested to me to not get hung up on that and he thought the Creamback would be a great choice for my 1-12 cab. He also was of the opinion that 25 or 30 watt Greenbacks are superb when used in 2-12 and 4-12 cabs, but not the best choice for a 1-12.

So I took his recommendation. I think the Creamback sounds very much like a Greenback, and now that I’m playing my JCM thru this cab, I’m very happy I chose the Creamback.

Yes I’m gonna keep my Dsl1, I really like the tones I get from it especially the green channel. The green channel on these 1watt Dsls do not have the headroom of the higher watt DSL green channels. So there is a very nice breakup starting around noon and it gets warmer, heavier and smoother as the volume is turned up. No need for a gain knob on this channel being the amp is only 1watt.

I’m going to get another Creamback for a Blackheart 1-12 cab I have the Dsl sitting on,....I’ll hook the Dsl up with that cab.

[​IMG]

5. MarshallDog

Thats right!

6. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

In a 1x12, I would pick a WGS Invader, which is basically a 50W Greenback with more lows, rounder highs and a wider beam. Sounds really good even in smaller 1x12 cabs.

steveb63, Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  7. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Marshall has a pretty rich history when it comes to combos, so I can totally understand the desire for someone to want one.

steveb63, Mitchell Pearrow and Moony like this.
  8. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

hey dog..5'2" 140 here, and my gauge in life will always be the joy of deadlifting a 1960bv cab into the truck..you cant see me lol...its bigger than me..in all seriousness..have 3 4x12 set ups with heads on em on castors and .there has never been a stage where the footprint didnt allow it and..wheels ..wheels..those that dont keep themselves in shape..just wheel from place to place and simply have a friend grab 1 end..it will save the back ..cause a combo does a dive in ya and smacks ya knee when you carry it...

9. crossroadsnyc

That comment is full of so much win that I don't even know where to start.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. BftGibson

go ahead and start, i can handle it ?? i dont mind the weight, getting older but do find wheeling the cabs around way easier than lifting..but i dont have steps...been lifting since about 12 and like to work and do enjoy a physical work session. the gauge is when the 4x12 cant be lifted anymore on my own and then prob have to make some decisions,,have at home so its from room to front door into truck using mostly weight balance to load. at my height the combos always banged my leg and pulled my body to side awkward.

11. MarshallDog

Yeah man, one of my friends who is in our band, we take lessons from the same guy. Hes a great guy, a small guy but is a bit over confident. He mentions to my buddy who is a big guy that his Fender combo is too heavy and he replied, yes, if you’re a girl...I laughed my ass off!!!

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and BftGibson like this.
  12. Ufoscorpion

The 4104 I had with the 1x handle on top was as Bft says was heavy but more than that just plain awkward to lift . I found it easier to bend right down , bear hug it and stand up and carry like that . A 4x12 is easier to move around than that 4104 for sure .

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and BftGibson like this.
  13. MarshallDog

Oh yeah those combos can get you in the nuts if yout not careful!!!

tce63 and BftGibson like this.
  14. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Girlie mon LOL, Im in the weakling camp, i've got plenty of strength but my lower back doesnt! No combos for me man. :slap:

tce63 likes this.
  15. MarshallDog

Yeah take care of that back Buddy!

tce63 and pedecamp like this.
  16. BftGibson

that is what i meant in my original post, thanks for putting it in simplified form

17. Ufoscorpion

This ' discussion ' has made me think actually , ive got a 1922 cab which would be great with a studio head . It's the right sort of size , looks cool with the gold piping and has the same handles as a 1960 cab . It's really easy to carry even though it's got a pair of g12-80's in it .

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. crossroadsnyc

My first though was that Marshall should photograph you for marketing purposes lifting the cab into a truck w/a caption along the lines of "Huge Tone!".

I'm not exactly tall at 5'10", but I have the same issues w/some combos as you do. There are some that I can carry around just fine (i.e. my old 1974x), but there are others that just bang the hell out of my knees (i.e. my old VM2266 or BB1962). I like combos, but if they're knee bangers, I'd rather push around a 4x12 and lift it 10% of the time, than carry around a combo that's beating me up 100% of the time. Besides, both are awkward to pick up, and the weight of a heavy combo isn't much different than the weight of a 4x12 anyway (at least w/in reason).

Mitchell Pearrow and BftGibson like this.
  19. BftGibson

lol..when i lift it you can hardly see me. behind it. I bet we all learned a real lesson..we let someone else carry our gear and regret it, my singer banged my new car lifting a 1x12 in and scratched the cab, ever since then, got carts,castors,blankets anything to protect the gear. And gigging can be a paranoid situation with your gear on stage with other bands gear in unorganized shows...between sets..its like a free for all at times. We do hold shows on our own a lot & the Organization got a dedicated 1960b cab loaded with V30's for the outside gigs..it is kinda nice plopping a head up on an already mic'd cab for once

20. BftGibson