Marshall Code Vs Mgcfx

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by ics1974, Aug 10, 2018.

1. ics1974

ics1974 Active Member

Hey guys

Looking for a good solid state amp to get Marshall tones. What do you all think of the Code series of amps? Are they better then the MG series?
    Which one is the better sounding amp?

2. xeizo

xeizo Member

I have the Code 100H, it is possible to get great sounds from it but I think it is not easy enough to use. Fits better for tinkering with at home than actually using in a rehearsal or gig situation, I see it is as a large multipedal. I do not know if the MG:s sound better or worse, but they are way easier to use. Also, looks like Marshall have dropped support for the Code, no new firmware since last year despite several known bugs.

I use DSL with pedals for "serious" work. I like my Code, but I wouldn't use it in public.

3. Trident

Trident Active Member

I do have both heads... The MG yes is simple and the Code has to be tweaked.. But you can get some nice sounds when joined with a good cab...
    And yes they can get quite loud as well..
    But most tube junkies won’t touch them...
    As long as you get what you like out of them....
    Rock on n be happy:band:
    If you need tubes the dsl20 head is around the same $ and mated to a good cab very nice small loud rig..

4. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member

I had a code 50 and a mg100hdfx at the same time and the code has a lot of features, like bluetooth ect.,ect. But even after a speaker change, turning off the cab sims and noise gate it just had that digital hash sound that I couldn't dial out of it. The mg sounds less digital and didn't have that funny note decay thing that I hate about most modeling amps. And the build quality of the code isn't even close to the mg. The code 50 I had didn't even have a chassis, just three little pcbs mounted to the particle board cabinet, at least the mg has a chassis. I actually could not believe how cheap the code was when I looked inside..if it stops working good luck getting it fixed..the mg is repairable..if you go mg get the hdfx, not the cfx...the hdfx has the contour control which helps it a lot in the tone department. I actually dig mine. 20180715_141607.jpg

Trident likes this.
  5. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Is that your MG in a different case? Or is that Dave Simpsons?

6. Gunner64

Who's Dave Simpson?.lol...No it's mine. It's in a Avt 150 headshell that I made a new face panel for in jmp style.

7. ics1974

ics1974 Active Member

Thanks guys. Still deciding. I need to find a store to test both

8. Gunner64

If you look hdfx's can be found for $100-$150..I think they are under valued myself, and get a bad rep from tube snobs who have never owned one and just repeat what the last know- it - all said.

Google some gut shots of the code amps and I bet you'll steer clear. They look totally disposable.

9. BowerR64

I agree over that the HDFX is better then the CFX, the pots on the HDFX are better then the CFX and dont fail like the newer ones do. I also thought the sounds were better from the older one.

I didnt spend a whole lot of time with the code i was pretty disappointed with it

10. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

i was wondering the same thing lol.

11. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

I still have one of the silver edition 100hdfx heads. Great sounding solid state Marshall. Every time I think of selling it I plug it in and go, nope, why would I sell this thing for $150?

12. Gunner64

13. Gunner64

Exactly what I think. For what they sell for I'll just keep it. My only gripe was the ugly headbox, which I took care of.

14. Trident

Trident Active Member

One thing about the MG’s they sure can get loud mated with a great cab..
    I think its a decent SS Marshall.

15. Gunner64

Mine loves my vintage 30 loaded 1936 2x12..and stock avt 4x12s..strange, but g12t75s not so much..find the right speakers they can sound pretty good..I have the avt50h too and I think the mg roasts it as well.

Trident likes this.
  16. Trident

Trident Active Member

I was quite shocked when I got the MG, honestly I am considering getting another just to have it, and I agree...the 1936 cab does very well with it....

For some reason I did not bond with the MGCFX series like I do the gold, maybe its just a Marshall thing with the gold.

Gunner64 likes this.
  17. Gunner64

I think the cfx lacks the contour control..

18. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I have a mixed relationship with my CODE 50. It's almost there but very fiddly. For some reason bass and treble are always fighting with one another, it's always one or the other that fails a good tone plus it seems like they modeled the amps cranked because the noise floor is pretty bad.

I prefer my DSL and every time I touch the CODE I spend an age fiddling. To get it to sound it's best I end up plugging it into the FX Return on my DSL and using it as a kind of preamp.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  19. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Here's Dave Simpson and his 4x MG100's with Plexi head cabinets. He loves those MG100's and has at least 5 of them. One in a bluesbreaker cabinet.

Not a bad channel to learn about MG100's.

20. BowerR64

Yeah that dude gets some amazing sounds from his solid state amps and prefers them over tube.

I had an HDFX that i did a bunch of work on took me a few months of back and forth and got all the channels pretty good and then sold it like an idiot.

If ide know about those cabinets i would of kept it and stuck it in one of those boxes. Even though the cabinets im sure are woth more then the amps are lol

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018