Marshall Code 25 or MG30FX Gold

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by AndreeG, Feb 13, 2020.

1. AndreeG

AndreeG New Member

Hi!
    I need a practice amp with headphone output + line in + some effects.. a bedroom amp, so not high wattage, a plug and play amp without have everytime need to use my Engl + pedalboard.

I've bought online a Marshall Code 25 just 11 days ago and I don't really love the sound.. it seems too boxy. No matter how I tweak, in distortion it sounds boxy. Tryied all (no cab, no gate, all amps, tweaking, all, change position.. nothing works). I have experience with digital (I had Fender G-Dec 30, Mustang GT40, Zoom G5x and I have a Line 6 Helix floor), so I know how tweak etc. I choose the 25 not the 50 'cause even the 25 too is really really really loud...!

I wanted some Marshall-oriented sound just for practice, I can return the Code 25 on monday and I wanted to know if the MG30FX can be a better choice: it has some effects, 4 channels and line in + headphones.

But how does it sounds? It has enough gain to do some metal riffs? Does it sound "boxy" like Code?
    I have no shops where I can try this and I can buy only online (I found one used for 120€).
    I know it's not real Marshall tone etc. but I just need to know if it has enough gain (with Code I have no gain problems) and if it sounda better and not so "fake" like Code.

The choose is between Code or MG, nothing else :) I want a little Marshall with effects etc. with better sound I can achieve from them! Youtube reviews seems good and bad, don't know what to think!
    What do you think??

Thanks and sorry for mistakes, I'm italian!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Homieside

Homieside New Member

wooow

AndreeG likes this.
  3. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If headphone tone is a concern, I'll tell ya both them Marshalls headphone outs suck, as do about every headphone out I have tried on a bunch of other amps including other Marshalls, in comparison to this $50 little nugget. J48418000001000-00-290x290.jpg not a Marshall, I know but whacha gonna do??..:)

4. AndreeG

AndreeG New Member

I had a tube Blackstar, awesome! I'll give it a try..

And what about MG sound not in headphones? Gain? It's fizzy? Thanks

5. Gunner64

The Blackstar id core stereo 10's headphone out is much, much better than the code 50, the mg100hdfx, the JMD-1, the AVT-50. (I have all but the code, that I had and sold) just way more realistic, giant stereo sound. Sounds like an amp, not a transistor radio..which is what the others I mentioned sound like to me.

My mg is the 100hdfx, and it can be fizzy if overgained, but it can be set to sound pretty good for a used $100 amp. I can't say about the mg 30.

Of course that's just my ears/opinion..others may disagree..but for what the little Blackstar id core 10 costs used, I think they're quite the bargain.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  6. Timmy51

Timmy51 Active Member

I’ve had both the code and MG. I kept the MG. It’s not a bad amp, better than people give it credit for.
    It’s not boxy and it has way more gain/distortion then you’ll probably ever need. It’s really versatile. The on board effects aren’t all that great and you can’t mix them. The reverb isn’t bad.

7. AndreeG

AndreeG New Member

Thanks, yes Blackstar are really good, I will give a try if I can! Always loved Blackstar since the HT5r that I had.. really good in clean and distortion, I had HT-Dual and HT-Metal too.. nice sound.

Yeah, saw that you can't mix effects, I use chorus on clean and delay on distortions, not other, it's just for practice without other. Thanks, I just needed if it is boxy like Code or not, and if it has good gain I'm happy to know.
    What MG have you? Thanks!

Mitchell Pearrow and Timmy51 like this.
  8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Get the MG they are really good and excel at being a headphone amp. I was very happy with mine when I owned one, its very plug and play. :yesway:

AndreeG and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. Timmy51

Timmy51 Active Member

I have the MG 30 gold. I got it new about a year ago. I have other amps as well but the MG is a good amp. I use it on occasion.

10. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

My grandson and I both have had the MG 30’s, and the gain can be dialed back, and they sound great as a small practice amp.
    I will bring a clip of my grandson playing his , but I put a speaker out on the back of it, and he is playing it through an MG 412 cab

AndreeG and Timmy51 like this.
  11. Mitchell Pearrow

Here it is and
    Welcome to the forum
    Andree G

AndreeG, Timmy51 and Sailindawg like this.
  12. Gunner64

Don't misconstrue what I said as bashing The MG. I still have a MG100HDFX and for the money its a sleeper that can sound pretty good with some fiddlin. I have had several. I'll sell one for $100-150 and immediately want another, and eventually find one for around that same price. For $100, a usable 100w head with built in usable effects?..hard to beat that.

But my point was if the op is going to use the MG primarily with headphones/ silent work, that isn't it's strong suit, Imo it sounds weak and sterile through phones..thats why I mentioned the Blackstar Id core stereo 10. It sounds giant and full, headphones or speakers.

I'm not an anti MG snob.. the 100w has a place in the family, and isn't going anywhere..there's just better amps for headphone/ line out use.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  13. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

I would do a Katana 50 mk2 or the Marshall MG30FX both cost the same.

I've got the Katana 100C mk2 and it rips on 50 watt mode. Not a hint of boxiness. The 50 watt model is a ripper as well. It quiets down to half a watt. Play as quiet as you want or use head phones. I liked the combo so much I got the head version too. For the price of these it's ludicrous sound to performance value.

Great practice recording amps plus plenty loud for using in a band at rehearsals where stage/room volume is used instead of house systems gigging out.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  14. AndreeG

AndreeG New Member

Thanks all for your help! I red a lot of "MG is junk" etc. that I cannot believe that somone has a different opinion of this amp.
    Sure Blackstar/Katana etc. could be better, in headphones too.. I'll give them a try if I can.

I have one last question about MG: I saw (on used) that there are MG "old" (2010?) and MG gold (2018). Except of the MG gol has 2 reverbs, 4 delays and octaver is there a difference with the old MGs (I mean the ones with MG big logo)? Or the sound of 4 channels is the same? I can achieve even a MG50FX but the old version at 110€ (so I can use it too for some gigs with some pedals in s/r and not only for practice).

Thanks all, you are GREAT! ;)

15. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I think Mg circuits have changed just once in the last about 15 years. Old ones were like Mg10cd, Mg30dfx, Mg50dfx, Mg100dfx, Mg100hdfx (head). Then they changed, and I forgot the year (late2000's), but the dfx label changed to just fx. The logo had a big 'splat ' on it. After that various cosmetic variations came out but I reckon they are the same Inside.

I like the little ones for their rude loudness and low $, plus they are cute. Bigger ones have more modern or more classic tube designs to compete with.

16. pedecamp

I disagree, it works great as a headphone amp, I suppose it depends on if you have good headphones, sounds great with AKGs. :yesway:

17. Peter McAteer

Peter McAteer Active Member

Get the MG. It's not a versatile, but It sounds better as an amp.

18. AndreeG

AndreeG New Member

Sorry for my late answer. I have returned the Code 25 to shop, so I have money for another amp. I only find the "old" MG (the one with big logo), I can achieve the 50watt too. The only problem is that in a lot of web reviews I see that the gain it's not so "high" as I use to. For example I had a Mesa Nomad 100 and it had good gain but not enough for me - I needed to boost it with TS9. Now I have a Engl Powerball II and it has the perfect gain for me. I don't need a real "tube sound", I don't care for a practice amp to have a awesome tone. I just need that it sound like a real amp with the good gain that I need.. I'm "scared" to spend money for an amp that is good but I will always need to boost the OD2 channel with overdrive pedal.
    I cannot find a online review with max gain, and a lot of people do the review with single coil guitars ^^
    Thanks anyway, if you have something to help me knowing if the gain is "good for me" then you'll make me happy!
    Or should I buy.. blinded? Thanks! :)

19. pedecamp

Many people dont know this but you can plug your guitar into your favorite distortion pedal and headphones into the other side and you got an instant headphone amp, no amp required! I used to keep a Digitech multi-effects pedal in my car to plug into when I was on travel for work, sounded great! I had a JCM800 clean, crunch and high gain tone dialed in I could switch through with my foot, plus all the effects! :yesway:

John BNY and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. Mitchell Pearrow

In all these years I have never tried that.
    All goes to show, pay attention to everything around you, and learn something new each day ...
    Cheers

pedecamp likes this.