Marshall Amp To Replace Rockerverb Mkiii

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Tone 11, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Tone 11

Tone 11 New Member

Hello
    could have searched the FAQs, too lazy is the real answer :)
    I need some good, reliable guidance from Marshall users; users who actually know more than just the product they own.
    Play in a classic rock band, more on the heavy side, but not metal. We have a keyboard player and only 1 guitarist, me. I currently play an Orange RV50 through a PPC212 cab, 2 V30s.
    This amp sounds great. BUT....it is classic Orange tone. I can have difficulty at times cutting through the mix, and other times, the crunch is lacking mids even though I have a EQ device to boost them a bit. Too much boost and it no longer sounds natural. I find that if I need to play some open chords where articulation matters, the RV50 tone just doesn't do that well. It sounds compressed enough that all notes leak into each other with harmonics. Rolling back the gain makes it lose the bite.
    So I am looking at a Marshall. I have owned a TSL 100 in the past and remember it being an amp that cut nicely without an EQ and offered a palette of sounds that could do light crunch to almost metal
    I want to buy a NEW amp and really not sure what Marshall offers these days. Tired of buying used gear with hidden defects. What I like a lot about the RV50 is the attenuator and the power scaling; i almost always use it at 25W and the attenuator setting is often 50% for home jams/practice with the band. What I don't like is that there is no emulator out but i use a redbox that gets around that.
    Checked the Marshall site.....don't know where to start....my knee-jerk target was the DSL series. Do they no longer make the DSL40? Anyhow, if anyone in this forum could enlighten me on what would be some possible alternatives, i would very much appreciate it. And yes, I know I should try different amps to compare. Problem is, the stores don't carry all the series. That's what happened with my RV50. Had to buy it to try it.
    thanks
    tony

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Marshall Silver Jubilee. :cheers:

Troy2003, El Gringo, Geeze and 3 others like this.
  3. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

Yes i think so to :cheers:

4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Try the new studio classic ( I know you asked for reliable intell ) I would also recommend the origin series, with an SD1, and mxr 10 band eq in front of the amp, I think you’ll get what you’re asking for, the origin cuts like no tomorrow, has power scaling (3 different modes) wallet friendly, and it’s a Marshall, I love mine! Cheers Mitch

MarshallDog likes this.
  5. Mitchell Pearrow

This is what mine sounds like! Cheers Mitch

Moony, El Gringo, MarshallDog and 5 others like this.
  6. Mitchell Pearrow

This is the dsl40c’s, (yes more than one) the 40c’s from Marshall have been upgraded they are now called the 40cr, but I have no experience with them , other than playing through them at GC! Cheers Mitch

Moony, El Gringo, MarshallDog and 4 others like this.
  7. Mitchell Pearrow

Welcome to the forum, if I haven’t already said it to you! Cheers Mitch

tce63 likes this.
  8. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Really, any Marshall tube amp would probably get you there tone wise.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  9. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

You rock dude. Love this stuff.

10. Mitchell Pearrow

I thank you DP, the best compliments come from my brother’s here who also are players ! Cheers Mitch

MarshallDog and tce63 like this.
  11. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Damn that’s good stuff!

Who’s the drummer?

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  12. Mitchell Pearrow

That’s my grandson Scott, thanks for the compliment LPM:band: :h5:

13. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

14. hornrocker

hornrocker New Member

Love my DSL 40CR

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. Mystic38

Mystic38 Active Member

while we love spending other folks money, if the sum of your issues is cutting through the mix, just keep the RV and add an OD pedal and or a treble boost.

Seriously, the RV is one of the best amps out there, and to cut through all you need to do is lose the low mids, so add an OD pedal, or an OD pedal plus something like a Naga Viper... An OCD in HP mode, with gain on zero and tone at 50% will totally change the tone of an amp, and works particularly well with Orange amps.

Also, you have the 212 cabinet with the most solid, focussed and extended bottom end.. as well as likely the heaviest.. the 212 open back is more open, alive and a less extended LF response..

I mean go ahead and sell the RV and buy a Marshall, but first ask how many folk add OD/distortion/boost/fuzz pedals to get the tone they want ..so just do the same with the amp you have and cut out that expensive middle purchase..lol.

colchar likes this.
  16. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Active Member

The Marshall DSL40CR is a great option for what you're describing, and if you sell the RV, you've got enough change from that to build up a bit of a pedalboard from that.

All that said, however, Mystic is right. Go try out some OD pedals and see what you get. I use a Fulltone OCD into my older DSL40C, and it really fattens up the tone when I want a little more body, but not necessarily a lot more volume. Tames the highs and pushes the mids. I'm a huge fan of the OCD, it's like a clean boost, a mid boost, a treble boost, an OD, and a distortion all in one. That HP/LP switch and the tone knob really shape the sound tremendously.

Alright, we need a dedicated section of this board to "Mitch and Grandson jams," because this rules.

17. Mitchell Pearrow

Damm brother I thank you, that’s so fnng cool, We do appreciate your compliment! Cheers Mitch

18. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

Don't know if you will read the replies here, as you weren't here for some days.
    But my thoughts are, that it isn't normal, that your amp is lacking mids. An Orange Rockerverb has plenty of them and should cut easily through any mix.
    As much as I love Marshall amps, but that Rockerverb is a really good one, too.

If you like lower wattage attenuation and even use the amp in home environments, have you ever considered an Orange Rocker 15? That one is really nice, too.
    But of course it's not a Marshall - so if you want a Marshall, you have to buy one. :agreed:

19. Mitchell Pearrow

Hey brother if you want to see some more, check the show me your riffs thread in the cellar, I put quite a few of them in there, and in the official dsl40c information thread, or take a trip over to the you tube channel, I always think my brother’s are getting tired of my shenanigans! :naughty:

El Gringo and Clifdawg like this.
  20. crossy67

crossy67 Active Member

I have a RV 50 and to me they don’t like pedals very much! I’m not impressed with the overall tone of the RV full stop so I understand where the op is coming from. Overdrive’s and boost’s just thin out the tone more! When your using high gain it’s not very pleasant and there’s plenty of bass on these amps but there is just something missing! Any Marshall would be an improvement I think. 800, 900, DSL, TSL etc.