Marshall 8412 cabinet with Celestion G12L

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Dave666, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Dave666

Dave666 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Does anyone have any information about the 8412 cabinet, I've never heard of it before and I saw it in an add today, the guy is selling the cab (a straight version) for 200 bucks... Only the tolex is missing...

Thx a lot

2. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I have one (see it under the DSL401 at left). Its a small sized 4x12m about 660mm wide. It came out in the early 90's with the first valvestate range. The construction is MDF, but good quality - with the standard Marshall tolex, corners, piping, logo etc. Hard feet, no castors provided.

The G12L-35 speakers are 35W each, so 140W for the cab. They are relatively inefficient, so you can crank them. They have a warm vintage sound, and get some very good reviews given that they were intended as a budget speaker. On their own, I find them a bit lacking in clean edge for live use, but they are good with overdrive. They make very good recordings however - I like them better for recording than my V30's.

In good condition, the 8412 cabs usually seem to sell for about 2/3 the price of a similar 1960 cab.

Heres some reviews of the speakers:
    Celestion G12L-35: Harmony Central User Reviews

and the cab:
    Marshall 8412: Harmony Central User Reviews

John