Marshall 6100LM tubes question

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Petejax1234, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Petejax1234

Petejax1234 Member

Hey guys I’m new. I used to play a 2205 back in my gigging days. Now a days I’m a part time player and full time roadie for my daughter and her band lol
    My question is this, I’ve just picked up a 6100LM and a v30 4x12 cab for a crazy deal. Extremely happy with the amp, the clean is just crazy good and although channel 2 and 3 sound good they are a little fizzy for my taste. I want abit more immediate response and growl. Any suggestions on tubes that work well with the amp?
    Kind of style of music is punky grunge with abit of 60s surfy kind of stuff thrown in.
    I haven’t opened up the amp yet but I’m told it’s running ehx
    Thanks in advance guys

Attached Files:

Mitchell Pearrow and Phony iommi like this.
  2. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I am sorry but i Can´t help you with that.

Just like to say :welcome: to the forum, other member of the forum will soon help you out :)

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Just roll some different tubes in V 2-3-4-5-6 and see what the result is. Remember V2 feeds both channels 2 and 3 so if you intend to use NOS ( or whatever you consider to be your best tube ) place it there and V1. Also old worn power tubes will make the amp sound brittle and fizzy so don't rule them out either.

4. Ken Underwood

Ken Underwood Well-Known Member VIP Member

Re tube it or get a Tech` to do it for you, but as a tip make sure that the tubes are not Chinese types, Eastern European or Russian are OK but for me if you can lay your hands on some then get some NOS Mullards. If you do it your self then make sure you set the output tubes up correctly.

5. Petejax1234

Petejax1234 Member

Thanks so much, really looking forward to getting involved

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  6. Petejax1234

Petejax1234 Member

Thanks for this. Any idea where I could find some NOS mullards? I’ve always put tungsol in my mesas and they have been great but not sure what they would be like in the 6100

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  7. Petejax1234

Petejax1234 Member

Thanks this is great info

8. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

I’ve used tung sol in my 6100. They sound great although I placed the original Marshall tubes back in as they sounded equally as good. NOS Mullards show up on Reverb and EBay quite often.
    There’s an excellent sticky thread in the workbench forum here dedicated to tubes. Lots of great information in addition to the info you’ve already received here. Great to hear you picked up a 6100. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.
    Welcome to the forum!:welcome:

9. Ken Underwood

Search and search and search some more and you will find them, it will be worth it.

10. The Dose of Harmony

The Dose of Harmony Well-Known Member

I would go wirh EH ,tungsols or sovtek

i have actually two 6100lm and mesa Mark v and i can change them without a problem

in my opinion the Lm 6100 its ine of the best marshall ever , the clean channel its amazing and the other two channels are very good you just have two spend some time with that amp has a lot of options , make
    Sure read the manual , and make sure you you play the presence knob , you can dial a lot with that plus the other bottoms

JJ are good on the power secction

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    tce63 likes this.
  11. EADGBE

EADGBE Well-Known Member

Does it use EL34s? If yes I'd go with either the new Svetlana EL34 or JJ EL34. And for preamp tubes either the Sovtek 12AX7LPS, the new Tung-Sol 12AX7 or the JJ ECC83S. And buy them from someone who tests them like www.thetubestore.com or www.tubedepot.com

tce63 likes this.
  12. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ken, although I love the NOS Mullards, my original 6101 came with Chinese Sino National brand tubes and sounds really good with them. Mind you they may well have been different back in 1992. I know the current ones can tend towards the fizzy side. I've got Mullards in the 1987 Silver jubilee among others. Cheers.
    Just enjoying a Spitfire Ale from the Shepherd Neame brewery![/QUOTE]

13. Ken Underwood

The problem with Chinese tubes is they tend to flash over due to poor spacing of the grids.

The original Mullards were to a very high spec. military in the early days which is the best, as long as they are genuine NOS, there are some fakes around, then in my book are the ones to go for.

As for the ale then good man, one of taste, love that brewery and Spitfire for that matter, for me i have always had Fullers London Pride, if you can find some give it a go, you will not be sorry

14. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes I can and have had the Fullers as well. A nice ale!! I have about 4 or 5 original Mullards made in Britain. Awesome tubes. Good to know about the grids on Chinese ones.
    Cheers Ken!

Petejax1234 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum you are getting the best advice this forum can throw your way . Great score on your new to you amp.
    Enjoy the forum and, may great tones be pushed from your amp.
    Mitch

Petejax1234 and Jethro Rocker like this.
  16. Petejax1234

Petejax1234 Member

Thanks for all the advice guys it’s greatly appreciated. Loving the amp.