Marshall 30th Anniversary Series thread (6100 / 6101)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Tonton, Dec 5, 2014.

1. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

Looks like the sales guys forgot to give out the advice to the buyers.

I nolonger listen for TONE cause it's there at all volume levels.

I was just playing along to malmstein, garry moore, rhoads, and i was using the same guitar and only slightly changed the amp settings to make a brighter or darker tone to match the recording sound from out of the stereo speakers at really low volume settings. I was using the vol setting down low cause I didn't want to annoy anyone in the location I was playing.
    yep, marshall has marshall tone at low levels.
    I had the best time playing the notes matched good enough, I was supprised.
    I'm convinced this is the best way to set the amps dials.

I was using a flying V with 80's hot humbuckers. I still was able to make the perfect high treble notes to match malmstein's sound. the problem was with the middle and lower notes across the fingerboard, malmstein's notes were thinner when compared to mine.
    I didn't notice any difference between gary's sound and mine. :)
    I had to take away some bass sound to get real close to Mr Rhoads's sound. his solo's had more scorch to the sound.

It's more important to have a great time playin, than to spend years stuffing around with trying to make 1 setting get a fictional 'tone'.

The 6100 is an amp that's going to make you focus on 'tone' for too long and forget about havin a good time playin music.

I think if you're changing valve brands to make one amp setting have a different sound, you're at a level of 'not needed' and it's way more worry than marshall ever intended to impose on their buying public.

the guitar is a bit of bendy wood. the amp never needs huge thought levels spent on thinking about it. these channels the 6100 has, must have a simple way to set the dials for great sound.

so you only need to find a volume were people can hear the sound and then the modes/whatever, needs to be adjusted in balance with the overall level. that's all you need.

I was just at a street party and they had a band playing. the sound was SO F iNG LOUD most of the people just walked away and didn't come back. it was louder than malmstein. JUST bloody rediculous.
    I mean seriously Jumbo jet plane engines are quieter that that stupid band in the street on sunday.
    80's radio top 40, at db levels louder than a 747.
    Mad b steads. :(

2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Ch 2C really cooks if you like 80's hard rock to old metal tones. My channel 3 has a bit more bite, some clarity yet lots of gain and set the volume higher for solos. If you loke ch 3 now and ch 2B would be nice for a boost, try playing on ch 3 and using 2c for boosts.

3. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

@dreyn77: I think you just need to give in and get a 6100 as well. Ch2C is where you would reside from the looks of your tastes.

I can say that since I have been gigging with my 6100, I have had a much warmer and less ear fatiguing tone (frequency response balanced in the highs) projecting out while playing at lower volume settings.

4. RickyLee

@Tonton: It is normal for those modes to have varied volume levels between them. They are switching in/out gain stages and/or gain boost circuits as well.

To use Ch2 C, try backing the Gain down to 2 or so, then bring it up from there until it levels out the mid to low frequency clarity and gives the amount of gain you want. I think you will be very surprised. I sure was. I was not that impressed with mode C at first, due to having CH2 dialed in for mode B.

belleswell likes this.
  5. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Dude, 6100's didnt have anywhere near the rejects as the 2000 series did.
    They were built with better materials and design integrity and the guy who designed it had a clue about tone.

6. anitoli

Thing is with a 6100 you DO have a great time playing because you dont have to spend six weeks ****ing around to get it sound right. It takes about 30 seconds to get it up and running and then it's just a matter of tweaking the EQ for the room, other instruments, ect. If you are familiar with Marshall tone stacks, you use a general setting and then adjust as nessesary. If anyone cant get a decant usable tone out of this head then they are either deaf, too picky, or deserve to have Peavy's for the rest of their existance.

John D, Bear R., belleswell and 2 others like this.
  7. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

Pretty common type comments for people who have never played a 6100 !!

There was many like that back when the old 6100 thread was still active etc etc , and now many of those very guys are owners of 6100's , and still post here , and love these amps to pieces , funny how that goes ?? lol

belleswell likes this.
  8. HOT TUBES 70

In honour of the old Dark side 6100 thread , i give you this !!

[​IMG]

medicjg likes this.
  9. Tonton

Tonton Active Member

yeah want to make that also clear.
    I hate too much functions and internal dipswitches, they only make me doubt and being busy setting instead of enjoy the playing.
    To be clear that is totally not the case with 6100 even though it has more functions than a JTM.

You can kick in the channel, leave the EQ alone and get 3 very useful enjoyable sounds.
    With much wider scope than a single channel amp (e.g. the loved JCM800) which can only do crunch to heavy crunch (no clean and no metal without pedals) which is very limited.

And the 6100 is also enjoyable at all volumes (JCM thin at low volume)
    So yes it is indeed an amazing amp with great tone, which I don't see as good on other Marshall amps as with this one. great simplicity also: just 3 channels next to each other with some flavor option.

my search for tone ended there :p

for now :)

10. HOT TUBES 70

belleswell and medicjg like this.
  11. HOT TUBES 70

I spent some time getting my amp ready to ship out tonight ....
    I hope Anitoli finds a crap load of things wrong inside !!!!

Let the good times roll !

12. anitoli

Everything wrong will be fixed. :yesway:

13. RickyLee

Just curious to where you 6100/6101 users set your CH 3 and with what speakers/cab(s)? Oh yeah, LM or no LM as well?

I played out yesterday with the '94 6100 at a bar that we usually get our volume up a bit higher with all the hot bodies absorbing the sound pressure level. I had to turn off the Low Volume Compensation circuit as it got too boomy and actually was not needed.

This amp is indeed loud as the MV was not past 9 O'Clock. CH 3 was the kicker and used it a bit more than I have been. Had BOOST mode on and used that channel for songs such as Thin Lizzy "Jailbreak" and Bush "Comedown". The mid voicing definition of this channel puts the Wood in the Shack for sure.

belleswell likes this.
  14. anitoli

My channel 3 is like this with slight adjusments made for the situation:

Bass 10
    Mid 5-7
    Treb 5-7
    Gain 10 Boost on, contour off.
    Presence 5-8
    Channel Vol 5-7
    Low comp on
    Celestion Gt12-75's JCM 900A cab

belleswell and Jethro Rocker like this.
  15. RickyLee

Thanks Anitoli. I am trying to remember, as you have the LM circuit?

I have found my sweet spots to have those channel volumes close to max. I have my CH 3:

Bass 6; Mid 7; Treble 7; Volume 8 1/2; Gain 6.

I am using AUTO damping, so I am also trying to remember if Presence is active for CH 3 then?

16. anitoli

Yup i have the LM Ricky. In auto damping presence is active for channel 2-3 and off for channel 1.

17. RickyLee

I had my Presence at 5 or Noon then.

:D

I had one other close tonal bliss moment at this bar and we have been playing this place for many many years. That other memorable tonal experience was when I just got my '98 TSL100 and we had a romping one going that night. I had the TSL100 on VPR/low output mode. Then the Volumes were maxed on 10. Short time later I had to take VPR off and adjust MV but the amp was cranked with MV 7'ish (Crunch/Lead). Crunch channel was just amazing and gave me that similar grind and mid crunch you hear on Green Day "When I Come Around". Lead channel was blooming sweet harmonic overtones. The EL34's were the ones that came with the amp, and were Svetlana's. Those EL34's were deliverin' the goods big time.

Next day, I am checking out the amp and discover that one of the Svet EL34's had sacrificed itself to the tonal bliss experience. Somewhere in the 3rd or 4th set is where it had to let go. I somewhat remembered having to get the Volumes higher in there somewhere.

So for that venue, my TSL100 and this 6100 were the big winners. And speaking of my TSL100, I did some tweaks to it last year as well as some experiments with altering the gain voicing on the Lead channel. Never went back and did anything else. So I might have to look at implementing a bit of the 6100 CH 3 into the TSL100 Lead channel. I have the TSL Crunch channel exactly where it needs to be. The Lead channel just needs to be refined a bit more for clarity as it has way too much gain than needed.

The channel switching latency on the TSL was always my big gripe with that amp for doing the cover band stuff, and partly why I quit using it awhile back in time. The channel switching on the 6100 is seemless. No glitches or swelling in/out of the sound.

belleswell and Jethro Rocker like this.
  18. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Different cab, obviously, my 6101 - LM? It's a blue 92, EL34
    ch3 gain 7-8, boost on,
    treble5 -6,
    mid 5-7,
    bass about 7-8,
    low comp on, master presence only about 3, I find the ch 2 to be very bright on this combo. Damn, I wish I could get to a venue where I could run things that high, Ricky! This year should get an outside show, might take the 6101 w 6912 cab and run it up good and proper. Or the 2558.

RickyLee likes this.
  19. medicjg

medicjg Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you on this. I could not bond with the DSL no matter what I did with it mods and all. I fail to see the love for this amp either. I think maybe that most of the DSL lovers have never played a 6100. I love the 6100 and it really can cover just about any style of Marshall amp out there.

belleswell and RickyLee like this.
  20. RickyLee

What speakers come with those 6100 combo cabs including the blue 4X12's? Did all blue 4X12's have the same exact speakers, or did Marshall offer other speaker choices back in '92 for those? I ask because of that time I plugged into a blue 6100 half stack and it was extremely odd sounding to me that day. I am thinking it was a bad mid scoop thing going on. It might have partly been the amp but I think I somewhat ballparked all controls noon'ish that day. That was along time ago, 10 years ago, and the memory is faded.