Marshall 30th Anniversary Series thread (6100 / 6101)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Tonton, Dec 5, 2014.

1. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

great amp..i can not use the low compensation for anything..what a versatile amp,,been running it on half power/triode for a bit..total dif amp this way..very responding..tried using all the low settings for once instead of balls out.. am getting jtm clean vibe but at the edge of breakup when i dig.been a lot of fun with a nighthawk..got the master way up and at about 25ish watts still plenty loud

2. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

I run my 6101 combo amp at half power & triode on the switches. It's the best volume attenuator built into this amp and gives it a nice tonality. 25 watts can carry in a small club/low volume situation. It's what I run the 6101 combo amp for cover band gigs about 90% of the time due to low stage volume/singer's IEM scenario.

Guitar George

Seventh Son likes this.
  3. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

I've tried that, I cannot use 4 cable method with G3. Doesnt matter how fx are set, there is an obvious tone difference as soon as I set it parallel and start turning up Mix. It works very well in series though so it doesn't bother me. Thanks man!

4. Dizzyduck

Dizzyduck New Member

I recently bought a blue 6101 EL34 combo, have been yearning for that for years!) So that’s really exciting, at least will be as soon as I fixed the massive noise that comes when switching to ch3! (I suspect there’s something wrong with the 520 opamps, and will deal with this as soon as I’ve taken care of a few fenders waiting on the workbench)

My question concerns the speaker, it has the original s303 speaker, and even though I understand many of you don’t care too much for that speaker, I intend to keep it. However, the voice coil has been damaged (probably an effect of the noise coming from ch3) and needs re-coning. Some claim the s303 is in fact a rebranded EVM12L, however they don’t look really the same to me (I have a EVM12L in a separate cabinet, admittedly newer than the s303, but still). Was it in fact only the US sold 6101s that came with EVM12L, and the s303 is actually a real Celestion speaker? Sort of need to figure this out in order to send the s303 for repair.
    Hoping someone can clear this out!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Jethro Rocker

I believe the US models came stock with an EV 150 watt speaker. The s303 is supposedly an EVM12L 200 watt rebranded. The basket may be different with the same guts. It looks like the old 12Ls I've seen when researching. If you take the rubber cover off the magnet I think they should appear very similar. Depending on the vintage of EV

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dizzyduck likes this.
  6. Fender

Fender Active Member

the Celestion S303 might be an attempt at an EV styled speaker but I strongly doubt it's a rebranded EVM12L. How could it happen ? Are there ties between EV and Celestion ?

Dizzyduck likes this.
  7. Dizzyduck

Dizzyduck New Member

Exactly my thought too - makes no sense that Celestion should have “manufactured” a speaker that wasn’t actually their own...

8. Jethro Rocker

I don't know. Going by what I've read. Note the 2 holes for the speaker jack lugs that aren't installed. Why put 'em there and not use them?? If the US market ones came with this perhaps the UK etc ones wanted to make it similar and branded an EV with Marshall by Celestion? Marshall had some ties to EV if the US market ones came with an EV
    Or maybe it's all crap. Seems weird they'd do that, yeah. Mine said Made in England on it so...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  9. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

Popped some new preamp tubes in my 6100 today and was instantly rewarded with killer tone again . It had been sounding a bit lifeless an dead as of late . Fresh glass in the 6100 has all ways been a must for maximum tone .

Damn Preamp tubes are expensive these days ... i may have to sell another one of my kids to put tubes in the output section ...

lol

10. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Active Member

What kind of tubes did you buy? How much were they? Mine are the originals and I’d like to replace them. Thanks.

11. Jethro Rocker

If they don't need to be, I wouldn't. The originals worked very well with that amp. Mjne are National labelled Sino tubes.

Phony iommi likes this.
  12. Fender

Fender Active Member

wow after quite a while playing with a 2204 and a Friedman Runt, I got back to my 6101 this weekend, and that clean is mind blowing for a marshall.

Remember that side projet of recreating a 6100/6101 in simpler version ? Maybe I'll start with a mini 50W head based on channel 1 first 'cause I love it and I need it in a little head form factor...

13. Dukemcrae

Dukemcrae New Member

Anyone in North America looking for one, I have a few stacks, heads and combos of the same - the solid brass chassis LE ones... email me at dukemcrae at yahoo com